Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Do Teams Waste Mid-Round Picks On QB's?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
The real question here is why is it a waste to draft a QB in later rounds but it is completely acceptable for other positions?

Isn't this about mid-rounds though? I mean, if you can get a decent slot corner/receiver/situational rusher in the mid-rounds who can play meaningful minutes from the get-go, is that not more preferable?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
4th and 5th round picks are for depth and projects. Why shouldnt teams take QBs in those rounds?

For depth, sure why not. But if you're drafting those guys with the intention of developing them into starters one day, there is no point in wasting your time.
MikeLowrey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question: Tom Brady
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
4th and 5th round picks are for depth and projects. Why shouldnt teams take QBs in those rounds?

For depth, sure why not. But if you're drafting those guys with the intention of developing them into starters one day, there is no point in wasting your time.

But does any team really ever do that? I honestly dont think so.

CK on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Pugger wrote:
The real question here is why is it a waste to draft a QB in later rounds but it is completely acceptable for other positions?

Isn't this about mid-rounds though? I mean, if you can get a decent slot corner/receiver/situational rusher in the mid-rounds who can play meaningful minutes from the get-go, is that not more preferable?

Doesnt that depend utterly and completely on what the team needs and what is available on the boards?

Not to mention, of course getting quality minutes out of a nickle would be preferable to "wasting" a pick on a QB in the 5th. But the point he was making is what about the nickle QB that does squat and is released before the season even starts? Why is it okay to "waste" a pick on him?

CK on the sig
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider, are the QBs drafted in rounds 5 or 6 really any better than the ones that go undrafted? I think the difference is very minimal to be honest. Id probably value other non-QB depth positions with my mid to late round picks than a QB. Basically if you have an elite starter, your backup probably wont matter much therefore you dont spend an early to mid rd pick on them you either get a veteran QB or a late round pick/undrafted free agent. If you are a team with a young starting QB, you're probably going to have a veteran backup QB. If you are a team with an aging starter or a poor starter, youre probably smart to use spend a high pick on a QB.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, on average, 3rd, 4th and 5th round QBs are better than undrafted ones.

CK on the sig
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
I would say, on average, 3rd, 4th and 5th round QBs are better than undrafted ones.

Well of course, 3rd, 4th and 5th rd picks are pretty much guaranteed a roster spot based on status and undrafted QBs have to earn it. But I still question the value in a 3rd, 4th or 5th rd QB. If you need depth, i think using a 6th or 7th rd pick would be more ideal saving a mid round pick for another need. If you need a starter, youre likely not going to get one in rd 3, 4 ,5.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Well of course, 3rd, 4th and 5th rd picks are pretty much guaranteed a roster spot based on status and undrafted QBs have to earn it. But I still question the value in a 3rd, 4th or 5th rd QB. If you need depth, i think using a 6th or 7th rd pick would be more ideal saving a mid round pick for another need. If you need a starter, youre likely not going to get one in rd 3, 4 ,5.

Or you could do the smart thing and draft based on value.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

But nobody is looking for a starter in the 3rd, 4th or 5th at most positions. Theyre generally looking for depth and projects.

And I am not talking about roster spots. I am talking about quality. A 3rd, 4th or 5th rd QB is generally going to provide you with better depth at every position than an undrafted player.

CK on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Which is what I was getting at earlier when I said it all depends on the situation. Who is on the board. What your needs are. If there is a promising QB in the 3rd, 4th or 5th, and you are looking to build some depth or see what he has, you take him. You dont wait to see what scraps are left when the draft is over.

CK on the sig
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

But nobody is looking for a starter in the 3rd, 4th or 5th at most positions. Theyre generally looking for depth and projects.

And I am not talking about roster spots. I am talking about quality. A 3rd, 4th or 5th rd QB is generally going to provide you with better depth at every position than an undrafted player.

And don't you draft a 3rd or later rd player at another position for depth too? And if this player is a diamond in the rough you can really hit the jackpot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Which is what I was getting at earlier when I said it all depends on the situation. Who is on the board. What your needs are. If there is a promising QB in the 3rd, 4th or 5th, and you are looking to build some depth or see what he has, you take him. You dont wait to see what scraps are left when the draft is over.

Exactly. If Kirk Cousins had lasted to the 5th, I would have been totally cool if the Rams took him.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

And don't you draft a 3rd or later rd player at another position for depth too? And if this player is a diamond in the rough you can really hit the jackpot.

Same could be said for a QB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: