You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB abilities poll...

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you rather have a mobile QB with poor accuracy who could buy an extra second or two, or pretty much a statue that will stay in the pocket and take the hit to get the ball where it needs to go?
Mobile gunslinger
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Tough guy statue
76%
 76%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 38

Author Message
htfryar


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 12949
Location: Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: QB abilities poll... Reply with quote

Ok guys, I have seen a lot of posts on here saying that we would be better with a "poor man's Mike Vick". That would be a mobile guy who may not be that accurate, but would be able to scramble and buy anopther couple seconds to throw. Pretty much someone like Mike McMahon of Philadelphia.

We currently have Drew Bledsoe who is basically a statue. However he is pretty accurate and will stay in the pocket and has the toughness to take the big hit if needed in order to get the ball where it needs to go.

Which do you think woul dbe better for this team? Give me the statue. Doesn't matter if you can scramble if you can't hit the open WR's. We had that already with Quincy Carter who was once described in a magazine as having a shotgun for an arm: very strong, but not terribly accurate.
_________________

My how the years have flown by.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
AmericasTeam


Joined: 09 Jan 2005
Posts: 1212
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statue. In other words--i'de take Peyton Manning over Micheal Vick anyday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pboyk12


Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 435
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimme poise over over mobility any day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Battlelordz


Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Posts: 1701
Location: Houston, Tx
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericasTeam wrote:
Statue. In other words--i'de take Peyton Manning over Micheal Vick anyday.


copy that houston.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 23296
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the statue and here's why:

Joe Montana - 4 Rings
Dan Marino - 1 Appearance
Troy Aikman - 3 Rings
Danny White - 2 Rings
Warren Moon
Phil Simms - 2 Rings
Jim Kelly - 4 Appearances
Terry Bradshaw - 4 Rings
Bob Griese - 1 Ring
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady - 3 Rings

Get the idea?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dcowboy31


Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 2648
Location: CT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
I'll take the statue and here's why:

Joe Montana - 4 Rings
Dan Marino - 1 Appearance
Troy Aikman - 3 Rings
Danny White - 2 Rings
Warren Moon
Phil Simms - 2 Rings
Jim Kelly - 4 Appearances
Terry Bradshaw - 4 Rings
Bob Griese - 1 Ring
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady - 3 Rings

Get the idea?


ditto
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BoYz2tHeBoWl


Joined: 07 Jan 2005
Posts: 16526
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really just name names like that, although though they are fairly good examples. Some of those guys had better defenses and weapons than some of the others. I am very split on this kind of thing. For a team like us, obivously it would be a statue because we have two good TEs and a great running game.

But Peyton Manning was an absolutey horrible example for that. He isn't known for being tough at all and taking a hit. He has a very quick release and an amazing O-Line.

Brady doesn't fit under this category either. He isn't very mobile but he hasn't really earned any nicknames or awards for being the toughest, not saying he isn't tough just saying he shouldn't go there either.

Some of those had great coaches too while some didn't.

This question should have benn something like "Which is better for our team..." or "Which is better for this type of team...".

I just don't think this can be fairly answered, also statues have been around for a while. Guys like Vick and McNabb are just starting to become NFL regulars, give it some time and we might be able to give an answer.
_________________

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Perhaps it's your assessment is the one that is a knock on your ability to assess a football game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mikaveli


Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Posts: 31
Location: Tucson, AZ
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcowboy31 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
I'll take the statue and here's why:

Joe Montana - 4 Rings
Dan Marino - 1 Appearance
Troy Aikman - 3 Rings
Danny White - 2 Rings
Warren Moon
Phil Simms - 2 Rings
Jim Kelly - 4 Appearances
Terry Bradshaw - 4 Rings
Bob Griese - 1 Ring
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady - 3 Rings

Get the idea?


ditto


marino was actually athletic early in his career but i know what you mean
_________________
Arizona Wildcats On The Rise...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 23296
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket passers win championships. "Mobile" QB's watch the Super Bowl at home. The only QB's who went to a Super Bowl and had mobility were Tarkenton, Elway and Young. None of them were runners. They were scramblers. They made plays with their legs when they had to, not whenever they had the chance.

McNabb has learned the hard way that run first, throw second gets you hurt. Vick should've learned, but obviously hasn't. I don't trust a QB who wants to be a RB more than a QB. Besides, we already have a RB whom we can trust to make plays with his feet. His name is Julius Jones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 18607
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate QB's who will take off and run

That being said, I do like a QB thatcan take off and buy a second if absolutely necessary

I don't want a Michael Vick, and I don't want a Tom Brady

Alex Smith actually plays the type of Quarterbacking i like, and think he will be a great QB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 23296
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
I hate QB's who will take off and run

That being said, I do like a QB thatcan take off and buy a second if absolutely necessary

I don't want a Michael Vick, and I don't want a Tom Brady

Alex Smith actually plays the type of Quarterbacking i like, and think he will be a great QB.


NYFTB, if Henson develops as well as I believe he will, we'll have a guy who plays like John Elway.

Henson was routinely compared to Elway in college, not only for his arm strength, but his mobility as a QB. With our not drafting a QB this year, I'd say that Bill and Jerry firmly believe that he can be the leader of our team for a long, long time.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IN BILL WE TRUST
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 18607
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
I hate QB's who will take off and run

That being said, I do like a QB thatcan take off and buy a second if absolutely necessary

I don't want a Michael Vick, and I don't want a Tom Brady

Alex Smith actually plays the type of Quarterbacking i like, and think he will be a great QB.


NYFTB, if Henson develops as well as I believe he will, we'll have a guy who plays like John Elway.

Henson was routinely compared to Elway in college, not only for his arm strength, but his mobility as a QB. With our not drafting a QB this year, I'd say that Bill and Jerry firmly believe that he can be the leader of our team for a long, long time.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IN BILL WE TRUST


Exactly

I was considering mentioning Henson, but i figured everyone would chastise me for being like "Heson is the exact type of QB that i love"

But you are right
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
htfryar


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 12949
Location: Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew Henson is going to be good. All we have to do is give him some time to get back into the swing of things. Obivously, the Cowboys personnel believe he is the future. I can't quite figure out why so many on here don't.
_________________

My how the years have flown by.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group