Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Lack Of Picks In This Years Draft Is Concerning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: The Lack Of Picks In This Years Draft Is Concerning Reply with quote

Just thinking in black and white here but am I the only one who is concerned by the lack of Patriot draft picks in this upcoming draft? Could I be reading into it a little too much by thinking it could suggest Bill Belichick is likely to retire soon (at least in a HC capacity?) or that he thinks time is running out for Brady?

I know, I know, I'm not saying the sky is falling but the Patriots are known for stockpiling draft picks, trading into the future, trading back etc. but the 2013 draft seems to be shaping up a little differently.

We are going into the upcoming draft with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and two 7th Round selections. Hardly the haul BB usually puts together and hardly stands the Patriots in good stead to trade into the future, basically shaping and changing how the Patriots will draft from now on and in the future.

This upcoming (and as a result future) draft(s) will be the first time we don't have more than 3 picks in the first 100 for a few years and could this be a sign that BB might be trying to trade for players already in the league (Ochocinco, Haynesworth, Talib, Salas) or trade up in the 1st Round to grab some 'stud' prospects (Jones, Hightower) for one last hurrah.

Could he be trying to assemble a team that can compete for the next few years (while Tom Brady is there) and then retire, whilst perhaps shunning his tendency to trade back and into the future so that he can enjoy the last few years he has as HC with players who can 'win-now' and boost his legacy as the GOAT HC?

This sounds crazy I know, I don't believe it myself, I'd like to not have to think about life after Brady/BB but the way this draft is shaping up with regards to the lack of picks, it doesn't seem very .... Belichick-esque.

Also, forum hasn't been too busy with outrageous discussion recently so thought I'd throw a 'crazy' out there...

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're too young at the moment, in my opinion. Wide receiver and o line are the only positions we are not elite at.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
We're too young at the moment, in my opinion. Wide receiver and o line are the only positions we are not elite at.
You know there's this thing called 'defense', right? It's on the field about half of any given game...

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Sciz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite having quite a few picks last year, the Pats had by far the fewest rookie in camp out of any team. Instead, Belichick signed a ton of low-level free agents. Now very few of those veterans actually made the team, but Belichick would only have to hit on a few more of those FAs to make up for a mid-round draft pick.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Despite having quite a few picks last year, the Pats had by far the fewest rookie in camp out of any team. Instead, Belichick signed a ton of low-level free agents. Now very few of those veterans actually made the team, but Belichick would only have to hit on a few more of those FAs to make up for a mid-round draft pick.

Unfortunately, he didn't really hit on any of them. Fells and Shiancoe have provided nothing. Cole has been (surprisingly) the best pickup, contributing on D and ST. Gregory has been below-average or bad. Scott has been predictably useless. The rest are either gone or on IR
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Unfortunately, he didn't really hit on any of them. Fells and Shiancoe have provided nothing. Cole has been (surprisingly) the best pickup, contributing on D and ST. Gregory has been below-average or bad. Scott has been predictably useless. The rest are either gone or on IR

I thought Gregory was playing decent football before his injury where he came back and was atrocious.

But last yr no one traded future picks because it wasnt a particularly strong class. But trade for Salas was a late round pick ad he's a young player as is Talib. The value in the trades are there. As for the trade ups I point to the value portion. Those were of better value than trading down. It wasn't a strong class and getting Jones and Hightower were worth it.
trivium2009

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we get Xavier Rhodes, a WR, and a G in the draft I'll be happy
ausbacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belichick will find a way to either improve the roster through free agency or trade down in the draft.

In my opinion, the team needs some veteran experience opposed to young talent.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the points I was trying to make is that Bill maybe 'giving up' (poor term, I'm struggling to come up with a better one) on drafting young 21-24 year old prospects in favour of picking up FA's and 'stud' draft picks (trading up) so that he can get a couple more rings before retiring.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: