Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Super material stops speeding bullets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47776
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt really mean much, its only a 9 mm round. they need to test it against rifle rounds before this can be taken seriously, heck even a .45.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ServantofYHWH


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 13659
Location: Clutch City
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's dope. Keep officers safe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73313
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it stops a speeding bullet, eh...?

like stopping a slow bullet would be anything to crow about.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21281
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
it stops a speeding bullet, eh...?

like stopping a slow bullet would be anything to crow about.

Laughing I just copied the name of the article
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsman82


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 19871
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Riot shield? I think that's a pretty practical use, based on what I know.


Depending on how heavy the material is (<-- kinda stupid) it would definitely be a practical material ... even though riot shields are pretty good right now Laughing


Riot shields aren't bullet proof. Some of them are bullet resistant, but that's still a minority.

Like you said though, it would totally depend on the weight.

That's ridiculous, I aimed my riot shield at a helicopter once and blocked it's .50 cal until it ran out of fuel.

Not bulletproof Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom Shean


Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 4740
Location: Tha 703
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it up against an AK and lets see what happens.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 8802
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Riot shield? I think that's a pretty practical use, based on what I know.


Depending on how heavy the material is (<-- kinda stupid) it would definitely be a practical material ... even though riot shields are pretty good right now Laughing


Riot shields aren't bullet proof. Some of them are bullet resistant, but that's still a minority.

Like you said though, it would totally depend on the weight.

That's ridiculous, I aimed my riot shield at a helicopter once and blocked it's .50 cal until it ran out of fuel.

Not bulletproof Rolling Eyes


exactly and if you point it right it can kill the person shooting at it to
_________________

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 41828
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevlar does not re-seal itself after a penetration, it is also not transparent.

The article states they are looking at this material as a windshield replacement. At no point does it specifically state that it actually stopped a 9-mm slug, although there is some confusing wording. What they actually shot at it were "tiny glass beads", at a "high velocity". Nearly meaningless. Other than that the material is apparently transparent, re-seals an entry, and stopped a projectile, there is very little hard information given.

"Potential" usually means that it might in the future, but does not at this time.
_________________
El ramster wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Dude's been here for 8 years and doesn't know that his avi is too big? Not talking


You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom Shean


Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Posts: 4740
Location: Tha 703
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Kevlar does not re-seal itself after a penetration, it is also not transparent.

The article states they are looking at this material as a windshield replacement. At no point does it specifically state that it actually stopped a 9-mm slug, although there is some confusing wording. What they actually shot at it were "tiny glass beads", at a "high velocity". Nearly meaningless. Other than that the material is apparently transparent, re-seals an entry, and stopped a projectile, there is very little hard information given.

"Potential" usually means that it might in the future, but does not at this time.


So will I have to keep my kevlar vest on while driving?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Kevlar does not re-seal itself after a penetration, it is also not transparent.

The article states they are looking at this material as a windshield replacement. At no point does it specifically state that it actually stopped a 9-mm slug, although there is some confusing wording. What they actually shot at it were "tiny glass beads", at a "high velocity". Nearly meaningless. Other than that the material is apparently transparent, re-seals an entry, and stopped a projectile, there is very little hard information given.

"Potential" usually means that it might in the future, but does not at this time.


So will I have to keep my kevlar vest on while driving?


No, just your kevlar windshield should suffice.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ataal


Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 2586
Location: Avondale, Arizona
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Yeah great stuff there, but how does it deal with the blunt force trauma generated by the bullets velocity

My first thought is it would deal with it much better than vests we have now due it being a gel like substance


Agreed. Impact would cause more of a ripple effect with a gel substance, distributing the energy not only forward, but to the side, as well. Less broken ribs than with current vests, I'm assuming. It would be a huge step up in helmets.

The real question is cost, though. It doesn't matter how reliable it is if it costs 20 times the price of current technology. Always a hurdle with new technology.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group