Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greatest Rivalries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Greatest Rivalries Reply with quote

I'm watching "NFL's Greatest Rivalries" on NFL Network.

10. Cowboys vs 49ers.
9. Cowboys vs Eagles.
8. Patriots vs Colts
7. Bears vs Packers
6. Cowboys vs. Steelers
5. Steelers vs Ravens
4. Browns vs Bengals
3. Patriots vs Jets
2. Raiders vs. Steelers
1. Eagles vs Giants???????

I may a few of them mixed up but #10 and #1 are spot on according to NFL Network. Now, I have a HUGE issue with this.

1st. Cowboys vs 49ers # 10?
These 2 teams only played in the NFC Championship game 6 times. They made historical plays that are iconic to this date. These games were timeless! And even when these 2 teams suck, they still hate one oanother and play hard.

2nd. Where in the DEVIL is Cowboys vs. Redskins?????
Does this rivalry not exisist anymore. Again 2 teams that have met in multiple NFC Championship games. The Cowboys very existance is because the owner at their inception, Clint Murchison, purchased the rights to the Redskins fight song as a means to blackmale the then owner of the Redskins into allowing another team in to the league that was further south than the Redskins. These 2 teams despise one another!

3rd. Not taking anything away from Phi vs NYG but I'm sorry, Cowboys/ 49ers and Cowboys/ Redskins are wayyyyyyyyyy better rivalries. in my humble opinion.
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though recent mutual mediocrity has diminished the intensity or relevance of the rivalry Cowboys vs. Redskins has to be up there. Anyone who was old enough to remember the 70's can tell you how epic those matchups were. My late father was a Redskin fan and there were some monumental battles in our house during Dallas and Washington games. He loved the Over the Hill Gang during George Allen's era, and I adopted the Cowboys. Allen very often referred to the Cowboys as the "god damned Dallas Cowboys". Man did we have it out at times. One of the things I miss most about my Dad being gone are those Sunday afternoons, when for a three hour period we became intense rivals. Lots of good natured shots back and forth. First thing I would do when I got the NFL Schedule in my hands was circle when the Boys played the Skins. Great times.
mco65

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the occasional conference rival game like the Cowboys/49ers or Steelers/Raiders but divisional rivals are simply better.. You play those teams twice a year so I would put the Cowboys/Redskins rival above the other Cowboys listed (49ers and Steelers) in a heart beat. If you were to ask me would you rather beat the Steelers and 49ers or the Redskins twice in 1 season I am gonna say Redskins twice EVERY TIME! Its more important and its a bigger rivalry, PERIOD.

The Cowboys/Steelers rivalry is the only non conference game listed and sure it was big in the 70s but not so much today. As a Cowboy fan, I certainly want the Cowboys to beat the Steelers but not much more than I want them to beat the Browns who by the way had a decent rivalry with the Cowboys in the 60s.. I take much more satisfaction in beating the Eagles, Giants or Redskins than I do the Steelers and at the same time am much more disappointed when they loose to those division rivals than I am the Steelers.

I guess from the outside, a Cowboys/Steelers game looks bigger and better than a Cowboys/Redskins game but when your in the Cowboys or Redskins camp.. its simply NOT!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that list is fairly ridiculous. First, the redskins vs cowboys snub is obvious and is easily a top 2 nfl rivalry. One could argue the cowboys have dominated the rivalry for the last 20 years and it has diminished. But, then you'd have to do the same analysis on every other rivalry. steelers vs raiders, for example, hasnt been relevant since the 70s.

Second, every eagles fan I have ever known considers Dallas their biggest rival not NYG. Eagles and giants have rarely if ever had the big game importance that dallas has had with either rival. Eagles and giants at #1 is just stupid.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
DaGarun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs/Raiders and Chiefs/Broncos are big, too. Just cause they're down doesn't mean it ain't real. That's a BS list...

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone loves to consider the Eagles a Rivalry. And I get it. The Bounty-games. Ryan himself. Several consecutive NFC E Championships. I get they booed santa. I get they cheered when we lost an Icon.

But...I...they are like the little annoying goth kid who scratches at you instead of punching you and you come to find 10 years later he works the night shift at a gas station. They don't have a record. They don't have real success.

I honestly struggle to take them seriously.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
FosterTheSkins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Greatest Rivalries Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:

10. Cowboys vs 49ers.
9. Cowboys vs Eagles.
8. Patriots vs Colts
7. Bears vs Packers
6. Cowboys vs. Steelers
5. Steelers vs Ravens
4. Browns vs Bengals
3. Patriots vs Jets
2. Raiders vs. Steelers

Does this rivalry not exisist anymore. Again 2 teams that have met in multiple NFC Championship games. The Cowboys very existance is because the owner at their inception, Clint Murchison, purchased the rights to the Redskins fight song as a means to blackmale the then owner of the Redskins into allowing another team in to the league that was further south than the Redskins. These 2 teams despise one another!

3rd. Not taking anything away from Phi vs NYG but I'm sorry, Cowboys/ 49ers and Cowboys/ Redskins are wayyyyyyyyyy better rivalries. in my humble opinion.

Heh you were right, the rivalrys not on the list. It got an "honorable mention." I thought for sure it was number nine but it doesn't even rank with the show.

I hate to say it but I kind of agree. The rivalry between our beloved teams hasn't been relevant since the Reagan administration, at the least. Either one or both of the teams have been mired in mediocraty or overall sucktasticness, for sometime now. A rivalry really only means something when somethings on the line. When two suckified teams face off its kind of hard to get excited to cheer about being the smartest kid in summer school.

I've been a Redskin fan all my life but in my lifetime the rivalry has been dead and Dallas week, to me, just seems like another game. Maybe its because I wasn't alive in the 70's but I just don't feel the same intensity towards the feud like other Skins and Cowboys fan. Truth is a lot of Skins and Cowboy fans, my age and younger, who I know feel the same way.

At this point when I see one of our fellow fans perpetuate the feud it seems like two mentally handicapped guys dry humping a couch yelling insults at each other. Maybe when both teams are good again and each game is must win for the division title and a high seed in the playoffs the rivalry would mean something. But for right now its who really cares? Confused
Better run better run faster than RG3.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Greatest Rivalries Reply with quote

FosterTheSkins wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

10. Cowboys vs 49ers.
9. Cowboys vs Eagles.
8. Patriots vs Colts
7. Bears vs Packers
6. Cowboys vs. Steelers
5. Steelers vs Ravens
4. Browns vs Bengals
3. Patriots vs Jets
2. Raiders vs. Steelers

Heh you were right, the rivalrys not on the list. It got an "honorable mention." I thought for sure it was number nine but it doesn't even rank with the show.

I hate to say it but I kind of agree. The rivalry between our beloved teams hasn't been relevant since the Reagan administration, at the least. Either one or both of the teams have been mired in mediocraty or overall sucktasticness, for sometime now. A rivalry really only means something when somethings on the line. When two suckified teams face off its kind of hard to get excited to cheer about being the smartest kid in summer school.

I've been a Redskin fan all my life but in my lifetime the rivalry has been dead and Dallas week, to me, just seems like another game. Maybe its because I wasn't alive in the 70's but I just don't feel the same intensity towards the feud like other Skins and Cowboys fan. Truth is a lot of Skins and Cowboy fans, my age and younger, who I know feel the same way.

At this point when I see one of our fellow fans perpetuate the feud it seems like two mentally handicapped guys dry humping a couch yelling insults at each other. Maybe when both teams are good again and each game is must win for the division title and a high seed in the playoffs the rivalry would mean something. But for right now its who really cares? Confused

I have considered that but then how do you account for the Browns vs Bengals? When was the last time any of those two teams meant anything to anyone other than their home towns? Heck, the Browns weren't even a team at one point.

And what about the Steelers vs the Raiders? Huh? Really? #2 and that puts the Cowboys vs 49ers at 10 why???? Are you trying to tell me the Steelrs and Raiders had better games than Dallas vs 49ers? At their very best I would say the rivalry is equal to ours, maybe.

What about Pats vs Jets. When was the last time that game meant something?

I hear you, both the Cowboys and Skins have been pretty bad for a long time. But you could always count on one thing with these two teams, you could throw records out the window when they meet. You are going to have a tough game ahead of you. Case in point 1989. The Boys won 1 game all year. That was at RFK against the Skins. As bad as they were, they managed a win against their most hated rival.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: