Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stchamp98 Breaks Down ND's Manti Teo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Stchamp98 Breaks Down ND's Manti Teo Reply with quote

Manti Teo vs. University of Michigan. Clip Length: 7:16

Summary: First 3 plays he reads the play design and drops back into zone coverage. TE in his zone on 2 plays, both well covered. Teo obviously knows what/where his zone is supposed to range from and is aligned correctly from what I can tell. Comes on a blitz just before the 1:00 mark and gets stone walled. OL locked on to him and that was all she wrote. Makes a tackle at the 1:27 mark but itís pretty weak. RB more or less goes down on his own after Teo slightly overran the play. Blocked out of a run play at the 2:10 mark, Denard Robinson goes for about 15. As previous, guy locked on and he couldnít disengage. That play went right at Teo, he needs to work off that block and make the play. Easier said than done and youíre gonna make them all but still, you gotta do better there. Comes thru unblocked on the next play, drills Robinson who throws a stupid, lame duck pass for a pick. 2:50 mark, Teo again appears to drop back nicely into the exact aligned zone called, Robinson throws another stupid pass and Teo picks this one off himself. Nice job of assignment football there, even the INT was 90% Robinson. Looked surprising agile, backpedaled and went lateral just fine IMO. Heís fairly deep there too. 2 straight plays at the 3:30 mark where he tries to run around blockers and not thru them. 4 minute mark, Teo gets his 2nd pick of the day. This one was thrown by Robinson right to another defender but the ball went off his hands, Teo dives and makes a nice play to corral the ball. Wow, just whiffed horrible at the 4:15 mark. Should have hit Robinson for a loss of 3-4 but hesitated at the line and broke a little too late. Tried to dive and make the tackle but ended up looking pretty bad. 4:29 mark is even worse. Thereís no blocker and heís got a free shot at the RB and misses the tackle. This one is inexcusable. Have to make that play. He broke fine and had a clear lane to the back. Inexcusable missed tackle. That would drive me bat crap crazy if I was an ND fan. Does better on the next play. Reads Denard perfectly and wraps up the way youíre taught to it. Solid bounce back tackle. Blocked out of 1 play between the 5:00 mark and the end of the clip, otherwise he didnít do anything else on the rest of the film. Went sideline to sideline a few times and looked a little quicker than I expected but didnít actually make any of the plays.

Side note: Denard Robinson is the worst quarterback Iíve seen on film this year.

Overall Thoughts: Not to be cocky or anything but I honestly have Teo 110% pegged as a player, heís summed up in 3 short words: Read and React. He does this on damn near every single play. He rarely just bursts and does anything. He appears hesitant on this tape but heís not, at least not in the way people think. Heís simply waiting to read the play before he reacts to it. This is both good and bad. Tackling problems are very real, doesnít work thru trash well at all. Much better in coverage than I thought and looked more fluid than I thought as well.

Grade: C+

Manti Teo vs. Stanford University. Clip length: 8:39

Summary: Blocked out of the first 2 plays, works off a block to make a low ankle tackle on the third play. Got thru the line at the :35 mark but canít tackle the RB. They showed it back on replay, got to make that tackle. OH MAN, very next play the RB throws a spin move on him and he misses terribly. Should have been a 3-4 yard loss. That was embarrassing. Teo was obviously upset after that one. Few plays later, sits back in a nice zone, TE makes a 4-5 yard catch at the ground but Teo played that well. Played his zone correctly. Decent coverage play today from Teo. Little slow driving up from his backpedal but heís solid otherwise. Blocked/washed out of a run play at the 4:20 mark. Nice play at the 4:50 mark, works off a block and tackles the back for maybe 1-2 yards. Gets sucked in on a play-action pass at the 5:30 mark but the QB canít take advantage. Taking on blockers on a bunch of plays but never sheds any of them. Does basically nothing with his hands and while I know heís not a pass rusher, heís got no pass rusher-esque moves to help with shed blocks. Iíll say this for him, heís definitely a fiery guy. Not afraid to get chippy with the opposing team before or after the play.

Side note: Stanford dropped 4-5 well thrown balls in this game. Donít know who there receivers are but if Iím a Stanford recruiter, Iím focusing hard on pass catchers.

Overall Thoughts: Iím hoping this is just a 1 time thing from Teo because it was bad. Only plays heís in on are negative plays. Does little if anything positive.

Grade: D-

From these 2 games, Manti Teo is not a 1st round pick. Forget the top 10, forget anything Mel Kiper Jr. says, just watch these 2 games with an open mind and no bias. You'll see a guy and who's not 1st round material.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, sounds like 2 very ugly games! Gonna be interesting to see if he gets called out for questionable/poor tackling on up-coming player evals.

My backup early selection (but for the Bills) was Arthur Brown of Kansas St...I was thinking 2nd round. He seems to be a solid tackler and in the Bills 4-3 might even be able to move inside if needed, though he's a little light for my tastes at MLB. Doubt Brown could fit into the Cards' SILB spot at 228#, so the 2 teams are not likely to be competing for him. I'm probably gonna have to revisit the idea of a 2nd or 3rd on Mauti for the Cards and hope he can put on a good 10# or so.

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
Dang, sounds like 2 very ugly games!

My hope is that his tape gets better outside of these two games. Everybody has a bad game here and there, every Cards player on the current roster regardless of talent has a game or two they wish they could forget. That's what I'm hoping this is. THAT SAID, I went in to this with a clean and open mind and still came out finding Teo's showing in these two games to be downright depressing. Mel Kiper recently stated that he thought Kansas City should take him #1 overall. After the Stanford game, I was thinking he was better suited for day 2 of the NFL Draft.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stchamp98 Breaks Down ND's Manti Teo Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Overall Thoughts: Not to be cocky or anything but I honestly have Teo 110% pegged as a player, heís summed up in 3 short words: Read and React. He does this on damn near every single play. He rarely just bursts and does anything. He appears hesitant on this tape but heís not, at least not in the way people think. Heís simply waiting to read the play before he reacts to it. This is both good and bad. Tackling problems are very real, doesnít work thru trash well at all. Much better in coverage than I thought and looked more fluid than I thought as well.

Pretty much it. He does things well instinctively. Not sure how he was in these game, but in those that I have watched him he rarely takes false steps and does not often bite on playaction. He needs to finish plays though. Needs to make the tackles and work off blockers.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: