Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Move to a 2 ILB Defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andjordand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Move to a 2 ILB Defense Reply with quote

While I don't entirely endorse the move to a 3-4 or 5-2 front, I think it will be easier to get a better pass rush from Suh and Fairley from the 5-tech than at their present positions, in order to utilize the amount of money we are paying for them. [b] In today's game of receiving TE's, mobile QB's and checkdowns to RB's, the 4-3 just does not work without a compliment of stud DE's and/or very adept coverage LB's.[/b]

I think the Lions have the best situation they're ever going to get for transitioning to a 3-4 or 5-2, this would be the year to try out existing defensive personnel in 5 -tech, NT and Rush-OLB positions.

Let's hope Schwartz and Cunningham shows us Hill and Williams play NT, Suh and Fairley at DE/DT, Avril, Willie Young Tahir Whitehead and Ronnell Lewis at OLB, Travis Lewis, Tulloch, Durant and Levy at ILB. Gunther needs to scrap this hybrid "Grey package" and evaluate how far away the Lions defense is from implementing a 2 ILB front 7. At the point this defense is at anything that is different from yesterday's scheme is worth exploring.

Ideally, with the way this team has invested draft picks and the outlook of upcoming free agents, We'd see Suh, Hill and Fairley up front, with Avril/Young, Levy, Tulloch and Lewis/Whitehead in the second level. Durant Corey Williams and KVB have no place here anymore.

Before anyone views this as throwing in the towel, chew on this:

Once the Lions lose another game or two, there's no point in winning for posterity's sake, or a moral victory for aiming at getting to 8-8. At this point, each game should be all about developing and evaluating talent.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Move to a 2 ILB Defense Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
At this point, each game should be all about developing and evaluating talent.

No.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-2 I'd like. Put somethign out they don't see often. Get a big NT (to back up Hill). We don't need to bring LBs then. If they don't want 1v1 matchups that forces them to leave a TE, (extra) OL, or RB to try to block. Have good speed freak rushers on the outside with Suh Hill and Fairley. Then goo good tackling/ coverage LBs (can we trade for 2 Luke Kuechly's)?

Sig bet
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
5-2 I'd like. Put somethign out they don't see often. Get a big NT (to back up Hill). We don't need to bring LBs then. If they don't want 1v1 matchups that forces them to leave a TE, (extra) OL, or RB to try to block. Have good speed freak rushers on the outside with Suh Hill and Fairley. Then goo good tackling/ coverage LBs (can we trade for 2 Luke Kuechly's)?

RE- Dion Jordan

RDT- Fairley______ ILB- Levy
NT- Hill
LDT- Suh _________ILB- Tulloch

LE- Avril

?

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:

RE- Dion Jordan

RDT- Fairley______ ILB- Levy
NT- Hill
LDT- Suh _________ILB- Tulloch

LE- Avril

WIN
You summed it up. Wink

Sig bet
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were your DC, and I couldn't be further from it, I'd be playing a lot of 3-3 with Suh on the Nose. Anything that gets Suh isolated on a Center is a win in my book. Jeff Saturday, Dom Raiola, Garza down in Chicago, these guys have about as much chance of blocking Suh in isolation as I do. Only guy in the division with more than a prayer is Sullivan, and there are a lot more of the former types in this league than there are guys like Sullivan.

Stick Williams, (correct me if I'm wrong, still you're stoutest run stuffer?) as your strong side end and ask him to two gap A and B. Play Fairley on the weak side with b gap responsibility. Avril plays that weakside backer next to Fairley and plays in a more traditional DE role, place your best coverage backer over Finley or Rudolph or whoever the TE is on the strong side and beat the crap out of them at the line.

Force the weakside Tackle to put his hat on Avril, Fairley's coming down into the b gap, which leaves Suh all alone on a Center to play the a gap. Fish in a barrel.

Can run a sweet little stunt off that too, which I'm surprised you don't work more of considering how damn quick your DTs (not Williams) are. Suh clears Fairley by coming down, draws the Center with him, too late to recover when a kid as quick as Fairley is cutting against him. Even if somebody does get a shoulder into Fairley, the guy's got to beat 100,000 year old Jeff Saturday more reps than he losses.

Play opens up a nice little blitz action too. Anytime you have so many moving pieces having fun right up the middle you have a tendency to find big holes in the protection just waiting to be hit by an opportunistic Linebacker. He's got to get home, because he's the only guy preventing a QB scramble, but that's a free shot assuming a RB isn't staying in to protect. And hell, anytime a RB is blocking a LB it's one instance where the LB doesn't have to cover that RB in space, so it's a win even if he gets blocked.
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey Williams sucks in the 3-4. Just saying

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way Seattle employs their 4 down linemen and a rush linebacker. The front four are big and can pass rush and the rush guy is a speed freak. I'd get rid of Avril in a heartbeat. Keep Lo-Jack as an end and have Willie Young and Ronnell Lewis as your rush backers.
1King

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usedaschwartz wrote:
I love the way Seattle employs their 4 down linemen and a rush linebacker. The front four are big and can pass rush and the rush guy is a speed freak. I'd get rid of Avril in a heartbeat. Keep Lo-Jack as an end and have Willie Young and Ronnell Lewis as your rush backers.

Why would you get rid of Avril then?

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
stylish313

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:

Cause Willie Young gon go beast mode and be the next Lawrence Taylor!
usedaschwartz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
usedaschwartz wrote:

He would not be effective in that type of defense. He's not a DE in a system like that, stout against the run, and he's not a rush backer. Plus he makes WAY TOO much money.
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years there has been discussion of switching to a 3-4 defense. While I do not believe that we will make such a change, this would be the year to do it. We have a larger number of players hitting the market that allowing more of fresh slate. There would be a number of problems though.

Who would play ILB next to Tulloch in such an alignment. I would assume that we would want a bigger backer in such a role.

Who would play OLB. I think Avril would be a natural fit there but would he be willing to accept a reasonable contract to do so. Tahir Whitehead and the Hammer could be solid depth/developmental players. I think it would spell the end for Jackson and KVB though. There would be a number of avenue to pursue in the form of Free agency (Spencer, Phillips) or draft (Jones, Mingo, Moore, Jordan). I think Young would be brought back on tender but as a rusher but would struggle in transition.

Lastly, we would still need a lot of help in the secondary.
EhJae

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be in favor in switching to a 5-2 defense.

Also, I'd love to draft Manti Teo and pair him up with Tulloch for our ILBs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: