Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ken Whisenhunt: Stay Or Go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Fate of Whiz
Stay
60%
 60%  [ 18 ]
Go
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 30

stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
apollo14000 wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20994300/top-10-with-a-twist-potential-head-coaches

Quote:
1. Chip Kelly, Oregon head coach: The big question here is not whether NFL owners want to take their chances on a college coach? I think we all realize that, yes, they'd badly want to hire him. It's whether Kelly's offense could work in the NFL. As we've seen with the Patriots, who have implanted parts of his offense into their scheme, the answer is probably yes. As one executive told NFL.com, "He runs the best practices I've ever seen. I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity." My guess: By the time we write this list for next year, Kelly will be working as an NFL head coach.

Chip Kelly is getting so much hype now it's ridiculous. And yet I would honestly love to have the guy here. There are some other interesting names on that list as well. Lots of offensive minded coaches. Wade Phillips is an interesting name. Runs a brilliant 3-4 defense in Houston.

That is a pretty terrible list. Basically all rehashed failures.

Wade failed as a head coach in Buffalo and in Dallas.
LeBeau failed in CInic and does not want that job
Why would anyone want to hand the reigns of a team to Josh McDaniels again.
Mike McCoy is an average Offensive Coordinator who gets by on Tebow Hype and Peyton Manning
How valuable is Joe Vitt going to be as a head man?

HOnestly I am surprised by the lack of Dave Toub on many of these lists.

Bolded: And Denver.

Mentioning Lebeau is just silly. He's a 75 year old man who's perfectly content with where he's at. 0% chance of him going anywhere to be a head coach. Really, it's a 0% chance he does anything in the sport of football aside from being the defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all this talk what is the realistic chance Whiz is really gone at the end of the year even if Arizona finishes 4-12?
apollo14000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
With all this talk what is the realistic chance Whiz is really gone at the end of the year even if Arizona finishes 4-12?

Losing 12 straight games? 100% IMHO.

That'd mean the last three years would go 5-11, 8-8, and 4-12. That's 17-31.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very least, I'd say it's a 50-50 coin flip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20994300/top-10-with-a-twist-potential-head-coaches

Quote:
1. Chip Kelly, Oregon head coach: The big question here is not whether NFL owners want to take their chances on a college coach? I think we all realize that, yes, they'd badly want to hire him. It's whether Kelly's offense could work in the NFL. As we've seen with the Patriots, who have implanted parts of his offense into their scheme, the answer is probably yes. As one executive told NFL.com, "He runs the best practices I've ever seen. I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity." My guess: By the time we write this list for next year, Kelly will be working as an NFL head coach.

Chip Kelly is getting so much hype now it's ridiculous. And yet I would honestly love to have the guy here. There are some other interesting names on that list as well. Lots of offensive minded coaches. Wade Phillips is an interesting name. Runs a brilliant 3-4 defense in Houston.
I laugh at people that talk about his "gimmick". Here is an article on Chip's offense.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems

I think it was written Monday.

Sig bet
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 wins or less and Whiz gets canned. If we lose the next 2 games I think he gets fired after the Rams game. Call me crazy!

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
6 wins or less and Whiz gets canned. If we lose the next 2 games I think he gets fired after the Rams game. Call me crazy!

I used to think Whiz would absolutely be safe this whole season - now I'm not so sure. I think Whiz will be safe at least through the Jets game, even if we lose every one of those. IMHO, we would have to go 4-9 before Horton would be given a chance to see what he could do this season. Theory behind that is with no chance to finish at least at .500, we likely would have no shot at snagging the last WC spot. That's when I would want to see how Horton runs some practices and game plans, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiz won't be fired in-season. I'm quite sure of that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Whiz is fired during the season. Why do people assume Horton will be the interim coach? IMO it would be Grim before anyone else.

Deadpulse
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the whole "interim coach" thing even matters. If Horton or Grimm or whoever takes over and does a solid job for 2-4 games, does that really mean we're gonna end of our coaching search and just hire that person based on those merrits? No it doesn't. As is AWAYS the case, the interview process will be the determining factor. If you wow in the interview, you'll probably get the job. If you don't, you won't. 3-4 meaningless games against a couple teams who will probably rest starters won't have any affect on who we hire IMHO.

That said, again, I'm quite confident that we won't be making an in-season change. This is all surely moot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
I don't think the whole "interim coach" thing even matters. If Horton or Grimm or whoever takes over and does a solid job for 2-4 games, does that really mean we're gonna end of our coaching search and just hire that person based on those merrits? No it doesn't. As is AWAYS the case, the interview process will be the determining factor. If you wow in the interview, you'll probably get the job. If you don't, you won't. 3-4 meaningless games against a couple teams who will probably rest starters won't have any affect on who we hire IMHO.

That said, again, I'm quite confident that we won't be making an in-season change. This is all surely moot.

Of course not. But it is additional info that can be used to evaluate that coach for a potential promotion.

I also think odds are that Whiz makes it through the end of the season, but like I said earlier, I do think a late season change is now an option...though a very small one. Two games ago it never even crossed my mind that he would be shown the door at the end of the season!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Of course not. But it is additional info that can be used to evaluate that coach for a potential promotion.

I also think odds are that Whiz makes it through the end of the season, but like I said earlier, I do think a late season change is now an option...though a very small one. Two games ago it never even crossed my mind that he would be shown the door at the end of the season!

Same here. A month and a half ago we were a near lock for the Playoffs. Philly was our only complete game. Could've easily lost to Seattle, New England and Miami. In Champ's thread after MNF Bidwill said "we aren't getting a return on our investment" and that was before the GB loss. If we get blown out Sunday then lose at home to the crappy Rams he's a goner IMO.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
stchamp98

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Bolded: No offense but I don't agree with that at all. 2-4 meaningless games, 1-2 likely against teams resting starters, doesn't show anyone in our front office anything useful IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Bolded: No offense but I don't agree with that at all. 2-4 meaningless games, 1-2 likely against teams resting starters, doesn't show anyone in our front office anything useful IMO.

While true that some of those teams may be resting starters, it really isn't about whether we win the games or not...if that is what you were referring to. I do think you can get a better idea about a coach's ability to organize, delegate, motivate, and run practices though. Surely that has some value, no?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

While true that some of those teams may be resting starters, it really isn't about whether we win the games or not...if that is what you were referring to. I do think you can get a better idea about a coach's ability to organize, delegate, motivate, and run practices though. Surely that has some value, no?

He can do that/already does that now to an extent as a coordinator.

If I'm in the minority on this that's fine, I just don't see anything to gain from slapping an interim tag on someone late in the year. I don't think that's ever really worked out well for other teams either. Along with that, I state again that Whiz isn't going anywhere in-season. I'm extremely confident that it's not even an option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 18 of 27

Jump to: