Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Forum Interview Returns! A conversation with the cattleman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
Great interview, got kind of emotional reading about the fishing story. Good stuff

Also happy birthday Reggie (belated?)

Ditto

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman, its great to have another poster here sporting a little grey.. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
Good stuff, cattleman.

I was out at Indian Lake late this summer. I was out there running the waverunner around the lake, though.

My dad grew up around Indian Lake, in West Liberty, OH and like you, would go out there to catch some nice fish.

My son lives in West Liberty. A nice clean town. West Liberty has a good school system. My daughter used open enrollment to transfer my grand daughter there.

Indian Lake has a proud history. Back when my dad was young it was like Cedar Point but on a smaller scale. Tommy Dorsey and others from the big band era played there. Bob Seger played there back when it was Bob Seger and the Sound System. I worry about our lakes with the green algae and all the intrusive species getting in our lakes. As Indian Lake got cleaner real estate prices went up just like lake erie. A fun fact about Both indian and St. Mary's lake. They were both dug out as a feeder lake for the Erie Canal. The men digging both lakes were paid a nickle a day and a jigger of whiskey. Back than people thought whiskey warded off desease from mosquitoes and other insects. I think of these men and their hard lives sometimes when I fish. I have a lot of respect and gratitude for them.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
cattleman78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLAbrownfan wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
FLAbrownfan wrote:
I really enjoyed this, question for cattleman- how did you come up with your user name? And thoughts on Te'o being a high draft pick for us?

I used to raise cattle with my brother. May seem funny but I enjoyed being around cattle. I guess part of it I love western movies. A good web site for westerns is westerns on the web. Plenty of old movies and old western t.v. series. I guess the old west is romantic to me but that life back than had to be a very hard life.

Manti Te'o I like quite a bit. Don't know if it makes much sense in drafting him as we have Jackson and a lot of young backers. Also Gocong will be back most likely. Truthfully I'm not as high on Jackson as some on here are. He is a team leader though. I could live with Te'o if we pick 7th or lower. I don't really want him top 5. Saying that though Te'o will make some team happy. Maybe even us.

Cool- what's your favorite western movie?

Well I guess I'd have to say The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. The more I watch that movie the more I like it. Stars John Wayne,Jimmy Stewart,Vera Miles and Lee Marvin as Liberty. A lot of good charactor actors to. The newspaper man and the scared sheriff are great.
One western I have just discovered stars John Wayne in tall in the Saddle. Ella Raines also stars in it. I must say Raines fills out her outfits very well. Gabby Hayes also gives a fine performance.
Probably my second favorite is The Outlaw Josie Wales with Clint Eastwood.

ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
NateDawg wrote:
Good stuff, cattleman.

I was out at Indian Lake late this summer. I was out there running the waverunner around the lake, though.

My dad grew up around Indian Lake, in West Liberty, OH and like you, would go out there to catch some nice fish.

My son lives in West Liberty. A nice clean town. West Liberty has a good school system. My daughter used open enrollment to transfer my grand daughter there.

Indian Lake has a proud history. Back when my dad was young it was like Cedar Point but on a smaller scale. Tommy Dorsey and others from the big band era played there. Bob Seger played there back when it was Bob Seger and the Sound System. I worry about our lakes with the green algae and all the intrusive species getting in our lakes. As Indian Lake got cleaner real estate prices went up just like lake erie. A fun fact about Both indian and St. Mary's lake. They were both dug out as a feeder lake for the Erie Canal. The men digging both lakes were paid a nickle a day and a jigger of whiskey. Back than people thought whiskey warded off desease from mosquitoes and other insects. I think of these men and their hard lives sometimes when I fish. I have a lot of respect and gratitude for them.

Interesting. Always wondered why it was so shallow.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
NateDawg wrote:
Good stuff, cattleman.

Wait, whiskey won't keep me wealthy? Dam, I've been drinking all these years for nothing!

Also, my wife's grandfather played at Indian lake witha few famous old blue grass bands back in the day... He is one heck of a good picker!

I know west liberty and its school very well... I know ohio is a small pace, but dang it feels really small right now. Haha. Very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
NateDawg wrote:
Good stuff, cattleman.

Wait, whiskey won't keep me wealthy? Dam, I've been drinking all these years for nothing!

Also, my wife's grandfather played at Indian lake witha few famous old blue grass bands back in the day... He is one heck of a good picker!

I know west liberty and its school very well... I know ohio is a small pace, but dang it feels really small right now. Haha. Very nice.

Yeah I live in Triad school district. It's a good school also. People used to think whikey kept you warm in the old days. It actually has the opposite effect.

Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
NateDawg wrote:
Good stuff, cattleman.

Yeah I live in Triad school district. It's a good school also. People used to think whikey kept you warm in the old days. It actually has the opposite effect.

yes, cold and alcohol dont mix... good way to end up dead...

You live in Triad? We are close enough to go out for dinner sometime. haha Im currently in Marysville, and my wife and I work at Fairbanks. I went to Graham and a bit at Kenton Ridge when I was in school. Ive been to triad many times... yup, small world.

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you guys from the Logan County area are making this world seem a lot smaller. I can recall too many stories growing up, of my dad telling me about the glory days of his West Liberty Salem Tigers sports days. Throwing interceptions against Triad on homecoming night, beating Fairbanks in basketball, and getting beat out for the playoffs against Mechanicsburg, after beating them in the regular season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triad and West Liberty's last game was for the league. Triad was 8-1 but undefeated in league play. West Liberty was 9-0. West Liberty won I think like 34-7. Both made the playoffs. Triad lost the first game. West Liberty won their first game. Don't know if they won their second playoff game though. Somebody mentioned Fairbanks. When my son was a junior we played Fairbanks and their coach ran up the score. Than when my son was a senior our coach did something I never saw him do. He ran up the score. The Fairbanks coach said in the paper he knew Triad would run up the score for payback. Fairbanks is no longer in our league but we did play them this year. I actually live in the little town of North Lewisburg. Go one way out of town about a mile you are in Logan county. Go another way about two miles you are in union county. I live in Champaign county.

mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are right- i am young and foolish.

so jealous that you got to watch the 1964 game. my dad and my grandpa were there. jealous of him too.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
you are right- i am young and foolish.

so jealous that you got to watch the 1964 game. my dad and my grandpa were there. jealous of him too.

Nothing wrong with being young and foolish. I'm heading towards old and foolish very fast.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what they say? "there is no fool like an old fool"

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
roger murdock

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This proves how awesome this board is. Good job guys!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview! Cattleman has always been one of my favorites here!

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: