Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tennessee Titans 2013 Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanSS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Tennessee Titans 2013 Mock Draft Reply with quote

With the 15th selection in the 2013 NFL draft the Tennessee Titans select:
Matt Elam - SS - University of Florida

Elam is a ferocious player and one of the most fun players to watch in collegiate football right now. I believe out of every player in this years draft class, outside of Hankins and Star, he is the one who would make the most immediate impact on our team and would lift up our entire defense. This is the type of playmaker we have desperately needed in Tennessee for a long time. He is fast and has a lot of range for a strong safety, and while he is no slouch in coverage that is not his strong point. He lays nasty hits on the ball-carrier on a consistent basis. I have too many good things to say about him so I'll just shut up here and let you all find out for yourself.

Matt Elam vs. LSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ue7wlWAhgg

2nd Round:
Ezekiel Ansah - DE - Bringham Young University

This could very well be the Ansah to all of our depth problems at defensive end. Sorry I had to. Ansah is a freakish athlete with a solid frame. He does a good job with his hands, and often gets them in the way of the quarterbacks passing lane. He is a very raw player, who would come to us as a project. Should find playing time in the rotation immediately with the potential to be an every down defensive end.

Ezekiel Ansah vs. Notre Dame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYELG3ItAk

3rd round:
Travis Frederick - OG/C - University of Wisconsin

An interior offensive lineman from Wisconsin... What other explanation do I need? Frederick's stock is on the rise and he may not last this long if it continues. He is considered a very intelligent player with great size. One knock on him is that he tends to be stiff in the hips. His versatility and experience at both OG and C at one of the better organizations for generating lineman is a huge positive for a team that needs depth and possibly starters at all 3 interior line positions.

4th Round:
Gerald Hodges - LB - Penn State University

We have 3 young linebackers who all look to be outstanding starters for a long time, hopefully for the Titans, but we really have noone behind them for depth. Hodges has starter potential at the next lext and would be great addition to the team. He has excellent range and good instincts and would make an immediate impact on special teams.

Gerald Hodges vs Illinois (2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH9xVNuxwC4

5th Round:
Meshak Williams - DE - Kansas State

Williams should translate to the NFL as a pure situational pass rusher, if not an OLB in the 3-4. We picked up some depth behind Wimbley and Morgan in the second round, but we're going to need more depth for a full rotation.

As you can see there's not much going on offensively for us in the 2013 draft. We are set at the skill positions on offense, mostly with young talent. The offensive line is starting to get a little long in the tooth, but appears to be running on all cylinders as of 6 weeks ago. We get a young talented player to plug in if needed while focusing the rest of the draft on finding a talent playmaker, who should be an immediate game changer for us on defense, depth on the defensive line to strengthen our pass rush, and depth at LB who should be able to play all 3 positions and be an improvement on special teams.

I know it's early.. so go ahead and tear in to me with your criticism. Very Happy
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig it cept for Elam. I like Elam a lot, but I think 15 is too high. He definitely plays at that level, but I don't think his physical talent is good enough to get him that high.

Love the rest though. If we resign Velasco and Lutui, this is exactly what I'd like to see. Safety-DE-Guard-LB-DE. And I love Frederick.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elam comes off more as a Free Safety to me...

TJ McDonald in the 2nd or so might be a better bet. He plays like a SS more, from what I've seen.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:

TJ McDonald in the 2nd or so might be a better bet. He plays like a SS more, from what I've seen.

Not at all. Elam is in no way a FS. He's not fast enough and doesnt have the range to play FS. As of the top safeties, Eric Reid is really the only FS. While Elam, Lester, and McDonald are the SS. How does Elam not play like a SS? He plays in the box alot and defends the run good while also laying the hit. He has great instincts unlike McDonald.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Not at all. Elam is in no way a FS. He's not fast enough and doesnt have the range to play FS. As of the top safeties, Eric Reid is really the only FS. While Elam, Lester, and McDonald are the SS. How does Elam not play like a SS? He plays in the box alot and defends the run good while also laying the hit. He has great instincts unlike McDonald.

It's an un-informed post. I watched one vid clip. He is just smaller and lighter.
Thanks for correcting me though, gives me more of a true sense of Elam's abilities.
But just from the glances I gave to McDonald and Elam. McDonald looked like the hitter of the two. But that was just a brief look. I haven't dived deep into the scouting season yet.
latinoaustino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

It's an un-informed post. I watched one vid clip. He is just smaller and lighter.
Thanks for correcting me though, gives me more of a true sense of Elam's abilities.
But just from the glances I gave to McDonald and Elam. McDonald looked like the hitter of the two. But that was just a brief look. I haven't dived deep into the scouting season yet.

I like Elam a lot but only in the 2nd. One of Elam or Lester should be there when we pick in the 2nd barring a stupid awesome combine performance.

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elam will not be there when we pick in the second. If your judging that based off of online draft projections he will be ranked 2nd or 3rd round because most draft sites are outdated and most are before the collegiate season. As of now, Elam is the top safety in this years draft class, and if he keeps up what he's doing and had s good comvine he may not be there at 15. Excuse my typing, im on a cell phone.

Elam will be the top ranked safety, not just strong safety, come april.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at him closer, I do think he is a SS. I worry about his coverage. I saw some bad angles in pass coverage and failed attempts trying to jam a WR.

That can be fixed, but if he is an 1st rounder, he will be expected to be a starter very early and that could lead to getting burned some if his technique isn't cleaned up.
prozac77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the picks. However, it might be more realistic if you switched Ansah and Elam. I get the feeling Ansah is going to be one of those late risers after the combine.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prozac77 wrote:
I like the picks. However, it might be more realistic if you switched Ansah and Elam. I get the feeling Ansah is going to be one of those late risers after the combine.

Ansah is basically going off of pure potential. Doesn't have a lot of experience and there are a lot of people in front of him that would have to have something go wrong in order for him to leap over them.

So much emphasis is put on the combine anymore so I can see why you would think the athletic freak would jump come April, but with the quality pass rushers ahead of him I don't think he will rise that much.

Elam is the number one safety in the country, and will not be there anywhere close to when we pick in the 2nd round.

Last edited by TitanSS on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanSS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Looking at him closer, I do think he is a SS. I worry about his coverage. I saw some bad angles in pass coverage and failed attempts trying to jam a WR.

That can be fixed, but if he is an 1st rounder, he will be expected to be a starter very early and that could lead to getting burned some if his technique isn't cleaned up.

His speed is actually above average for a strong safety. I've watched a lot of Florida games this year, which may be why I'm jumping on him to go early before everyone else, but he is not a liabilty in coverage.

Florida lines him up all over the field and he always seems to find a way to make a play.

In the LSU game, the corner underneath Elam slips and the receiver catches the ball with a wide open field to run and appears to have a huge gain if not a touchdown. Elam hangs right with him, eventually catches him, strips the ball, and Florida recovers.

He plays so hard with so much intensity on ever play, that I've began to start expecting plays like that when I watch Florida. He hits so hard, yet never seems to have helmet to helmet or defenseless receiver calls against him, or missed tackles from not wrapping up. His timing is impeccable.

I'd be more worried with him biting on play-action and overpursuing than his ability to cover.

Sorry for arguing with everyone about him, I've just always wanted the Titans to draft a play-making safety and every single year I hear that a certain safety is so good and blah blah. And I go watch film on them and I wonder where their positive reviews are coming from? Outside of Eric Berry and Earl Thomas there hasn't been anyone to really get exciting about. Eric Reid this year was reviewed as "the best safety since Eric Berry" so I watched LSU games. He disappointed to say the least. He's 6'2" 215 and fast, so he sounds promising. But he doesn't have the instincts that Elam has.

Elam has the potential to be a game-changer. That player that when he's on the field puts your team over the top.

We haven't had that on defense in a long time.
prozac77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
prozac77 wrote:

Ansah is basically going off of pure potential. Doesn't have a lot of experience and there are a lot of people in front of him that would have to have something go wrong in order for him to leap over them.

So much emphasis is put on the combine anymore so I can see why you would think the athletic freak would jump come April, but with the quality pass rushers ahead of him I don't think he will rise that much.

Elam is the number one safety in the country, and will not be there anywhere close to when we pick in the 2nd round.

Good point. This DE class is looking pretty nice so he could end up being taken in the 2nd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: