Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steve Breaston
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Steve Breaston Reply with quote

Quote:
It wasn’t so long ago that Steve Breaston, Arizona Cardinal, looked to be emerging as one of the league’s most promising young wide receivers. Breaston caught 77 balls for 1,006 yards in 2008, catching passes from Kurt Warner. Three years later, Breaston signed a five-year, $23 million contract to play in Kansas City. His career has since spiraled downward.

Steve Breaston, Kansas City Chief, was a healthy scratch in Week Ten.

“What happened a little bit is that he hasn’t made as many plays,” coach Romeo Crennel explained to the Kansas City Star. “So this past game he took a backseat so that we could get a younger player up to see what the younger player could do.”

Fourth-round rookie Devon Wylie was the younger player. He played six snaps against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and was not targeted on a pass.

“He’s a veteran player, and some young guys might have a little more quickness and a little bit more speed,” Crennel added, speaking about Breaston. “And if you as a coach want to take a look at that speed, you have to make a move. So I did.”

Breaston, 29, is collecting $3.35 million in bonuses and base salary this season, and is owed $3.8 million in 2013. He’s on pace to join cornerback Stanford Routt and quarterback Matt Cassel as three of Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli’s most ineffective high-priced investments.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/15/breaston-falls-out-of-favor-in-kansas-city/

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“What happened a little bit is that he hasn’t made as many plays,” coach Romeo Crennel explained to the Kansas City Star. “So this past game he took a backseat so that we could get a younger player up to see what the younger player could do.”

I find this quote completely hypocritical when you consider the refusal of the coaching staff to even attempt to see what the franchise has in Ricky Stanzi.
IMO this is either a clear indication of one of three things :

1. The organization is determined to stick with Matt Cassel this season and have Brady Quinn around as an attempt to show that they have a presence behind Cassel. In reality Quinn has only been used when Cassel was "hurt", and then Cassel returns when Quinn is "hurt". It almost seems like they are trying to avoid the predicament of starting a "healthy" Quinn in place of a "healthy" Cassel. Romeo's that Quinn hadn't been cleared when Quinn claimed he was seems to be an example of the disconnect within the organization as to who is truly healthy and who isn't.

2. The organization (including the coaching staff) has zero confidence that Ricky Stanzi is ready to get any significant playing time.

3. The organization (including the coaching staff) still doesn't want to show the fanbase that they are in anything but "compete in 2013" mode and feel that by starting Stanzi the fanbase would suddenly be shocked into the realization that the 2013 is lost. We are smarter than that, but maybe they really don't think so.

I would argue with Crennel as to why this determination applies to Breaston but not Cassel/Quinn when we have a young developmental quarterback on the roster.

ryknowssd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100%, Nic. Crennel is as good as gone as HC. I'd still personally like to see him back as DC (I might be the only one), but I don't see any way he's retained as HC after his media debacles and other issues.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
jimmydee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, to see if he can perform worth the $23M we are paying him, he needs to be THROWN to. To see if Wylie is better....uh, he NEEDS TO BE THROWN TO. What do these guniuses' understand about this game that is escaping me?

Nic, I respect your football acumen....PLEASE, explain to me how you can figure out whether a guy is better than someone else when you don't throw the damn ball to EITHER of them? I thought I knew a little about this game, but apparently NOT!!!

Standing on it's own, this statement would be absurd. Given the state of affairs at One Arrowhead Drive this has become the 'new normal'. I'm pissed.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Quote:

I find this quote completely hypocritical when you consider the refusal of the coaching staff to even attempt to see what the franchise has in Ricky Stanzi.
IMO this is either a clear indication of one of three things :

WOW...nail/head. Can't believe that didn't occur to me...I guess I didn't realize he was a healthy scratch for Wylie. It's funny though how he took Breaston's place in the passing game and "was not targeted a pass". Shocked
Talk about a shocker...Romeo's deranged, Breaston has lost very little quickness, if at all. He hasn't made plays because of Cassel, not because he's older. Or maybe he's being punished for his one drop, who knows but Cassel deserves to be inactive if anyone does. He's the one who will only throw to you if:
1.You have #82 on your jersey
2.There isn't a guy within 10 yards of you
3.You're within 5 yards of the LOS
4.It's 4th down and you got nothing to lose
5.You are wearing the other teams colors

2. The organization (including the coaching staff) has zero confidence that Ricky Stanzi is ready to get any significant playing time.

Which means he's probly ready, since the organization is never right about QB's or really anything this year.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of

Last edited by ArrowheadRage58 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Nic, to see if he can perform worth the $23M we are paying him, he needs to be THROWN to. To see if Wylie is better....uh, he NEEDS TO BE THROWN TO. What do these guniuses' understand about this game that is escaping me?

Nic, I respect your football acumen....PLEASE, explain to me how you can figure out whether a guy is better than someone else when you don't throw the damn ball to EITHER of them? I thought I knew a little about this game, but apparently NOT!!!

Standing on it's own, this statement would be absurd. Given the state of affairs at One Arrowhead Drive this has become the 'new normal'. I'm pissed.

Quoted for Outstanding logic.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:

jd,
First off, it is nice to see you posting around here a little more often - I always like reading your comments.

Yeah, I pretty much have given up trying to use logic when I analyze the comments made by Crennel and others in the organization when trying to explain decisions made and not made when it comes to players and plays. What I don't understand is that we have Terrance Copper active but not Steve Breaston?

And you are spot on when you mention that it is tough to evaluate any player that catches passes in our offense when we have quarterbacks that have shown a complete inability to get the ball to them.

I really hate to admit it, but this is worse than even my worst nightmares of how this team could potentially unravel under Pioli. We seem to have lost all direction and are now fiddling with the roster for some positions but essentially refusing to fiddle with other positions by refusing to apply the same logic across the board.

It is just like when Crennel opens his mouth and babbles about correcting the turnover problem by benching players. Oh, but maybe not Charles. Well, ok maybe for a couple of plays. Umm, wait, what did I say? That is basically what I got from Crennel's comments. So Crennel blabs that ridiculous battle plan to the media yet apparently doesn't really intend to stick by that battle plan - and obviously not when it comes to Cassel who is our turnover machine.

jimmydee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the props, Nic....and yea, you're right. But it's hard for me to use the word "logic" and "Chiefs" in the same sentence, or even conversation these days.

Words like "dysfunctional", "lost", "unemotional", "ill-prepared", "inept", and I could go on, keep popping into my head. But certainly NOT "Logic".

It amazes me how one seemingly stable organization can become so dysfunctional in one off season. I could understand if we had 30-35 new players and were rebuilding/retooling, but we're not. So it can only come down to ONE issue. Lack of tempered leadership from Hunt on down thru the HC. I know, I know, we all know this is obvious, but frustration has set in DEEP within this fan base. I've been around the Chiefs, in some form or fashion, since 1973, and I have never seen anything close to this magnatude.... EVER. And in ONE off season.

Excuse me....I'm goin home to slap the dog. Gotta blame some'thing' , right?
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Thanks for the props, Nic....and yea, you're right. But it's hard for me to use the word "logic" and "Chiefs" in the same sentence, or even conversation these days.

Words like "dysfunctional", "lost", "unemotional", "ill-prepared", "inept", and I could go on, keep popping into my head. But certainly NOT "Logic".

It amazes me how one seemingly stable organization can become so dysfunctional in one off season. I could understand if we had 30-35 new players and were rebuilding/retooling, but we're not. So it can only come down to ONE issue. Lack of tempered leadership from Hunt on down thru the HC. I know, I know, we all know this is obvious, but frustration has set in DEEP within this fan base. I've been around the Chiefs, in some form or fashion, since 1973, and I have never seen anything close to this magnatude.... EVER. And in ONE off season.

jd,
See, I don't think all of this happened overnight or just this season. Personally, I think the seeds of potential disaster have been sown for quite some time based on the decisions that Pioli has made since coming on board.

I distinctly remember last at various points during the season when listening to Todd Haley and seeing his demeanor both on the field and in press conferences, that he appeared to be completely at a loss on how to deal with the mess around him. The team seemed ill-prepared and undisciplined at times. So now we have a different head coach and several different position coaches and we have the same problem.

I firmly believe that absolutely nothing is going to change until the organization parts ways with Scott Pioli. I have zero faith in his ability as a GM and this isn't just from a judgement on personnel decisions or roster moves but more importantly how he handles his role as GM and his determination to follow HIS preconceived direction down to the minute details.

samsel23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

jd,
See, I don't think all of this happened overnight or just this season. Personally, I think the seeds of potential disaster have been sown for quite some time based on the decisions that Pioli has made since coming on board.

I distinctly remember last at various points during the season when listening to Todd Haley and seeing his demeanor both on the field and in press conferences, that he appeared to be completely at a loss on how to deal with the mess around him. The team seemed ill-prepared and undisciplined at times. So now we have a different head coach and several different position coaches and we have the same problem.

I firmly believe that absolutely nothing is going to change until the organization parts ways with Scott Pioli. I have zero faith in his ability as a GM and this isn't just from a judgement on personnel decisions or roster moves but more importantly how he handles his role as GM and his determination to follow HIS preconceived direction down to the minute details.

GREAT posts guys!

Aside from jd slapping his dog Laughing this will continue to progressively get worse if things don't change.

I would really like to believe someone other than the fans see's this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, you're dead nuts on...it just seems to have festered into an unhealing sore since the end of last season. Everytime you turn around somebody in the FO or HC seems to be picking the scab off and not letting anything heal up. If it hasn't already, I'm afraid it will turn into full blown, untreatable cancer.

Wow! The inappropriate analogies just seem to be rolling off today. Rolling Eyes

Sam....thanks.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about ready to forfeit the rest of our games, fire everyone, and do nothing but practices for various "consultants" to figure this crap out.

Breaston seems like a very good guy, and good player. I wonder how much of a "Haley guy he was.?"

I don't care. Breaston is our 2nd most proven WR. Baldwin hasn't done anything to show he should be playing a ton right now. Neither has Wiley.

This makes no sense, but nothing really does with this team anymore. I feel really bad for a lot of guys on this team.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Mikek163

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
I'm about ready to forfeit the rest of our games, fire everyone, and do nothing but practices for various "consultants" to figure this crap out.

Breaston seems like a very good guy, and good player. I wonder how much of a "Haley guy he was.?"

I don't care. Breaston is our 2nd most proven WR. Baldwin hasn't done anything to show he should be playing a ton right now. Neither has Wiley.

This makes no sense, but nothing really does with this team anymore. I feel really bad for a lot of guys on this team.

Well for starters I feel bad for Baldwin. The poor kid gets open just as much as any 2nd year player should. Matt Cassel just wont / cant throw his way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

Well for starters I feel bad for Baldwin. The poor kid gets open just as much as any 2nd year player should. Matt Cassel just wont / cant throw his way.

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I was slamming Baldwin. I was more looking at a "proven" aspect, and proven with Cassel. Breaston was a great #2 last year with Cassel. If you were actually still trying to win, putting the guys with the history of success with your QB makes more sense then a 4th round rookie who was hurt for the past 6 weeks.

^ryknowssd on the sig
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:

Not only that, but if you pay close attention to the routes he's running, it's obvious that Daboll thinks of him as a secondary option, even though he's displayed the ability to run almost every route on the tree effectively and create separation. Every week, though, he's only sent on 3 or 4 different routes. That's it. We drafted him in the first freakin' round because of his freakish athletic ability and all we're doing is sending him on go routes, drags, slants and screens. It's ridiculous. He has the ability and willingness to run routes like a #1 WR, but we limit his usefulness instead by making him run generic routes. Granted, yes, Cassel is our QB and that limits the options. 10, 15 and 20 yard out routes are completely off limits unless we decide it would be best if we were TRYING to throw picks.

Guys, just think back to training camp. Baldwin was absolutely dominating everyone he lined up against when he was the #1 WR in our offense (remember, Bowe wasn't in camp this year).

If we had a QB who was capable of making every throw with good velocity, it'd make a huge difference. I'm not concerned with Baldwin at all.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: