Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

mixing in 4-3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: mixing in 4-3 Reply with quote

What does everyone think about mixing in more 4-3 looks? I think it would be very beneficial because it would take a lot of pressure off of Bowman and willis in run support.

Im proposing:
______ray - sop - Smith - Smith_________
__Brooks____________________________
___________Bowman____Willis__________

considering jusin bullrushes everytime I believe hes a great fit on the inside

Aldon isnt good enough in coverage to ask him to man up on anyone - I feel good about telling him to drop into zones in front of receivers and getting those big hands up, just not leaving him 1v1 with anyone fast. he is more of a natural DE anyways so it lets him put his hand in the dirt and just play and not think too much. Hes solid against the run

This would allow willis to play in more space and could deliver hits to people heading towards the middle and allow him to cover TEs more often and not worry about the run as much. It would also set up some nice loops and stunts with aldon, who obviously gets all of the attention.

Sop and jsmith in the middle will wear down offensive lines and be great against runs up the middle, both guys require double teams pretty much every play so it will help eat up blockers and leave backers free.

Ray and brooks on the outside would play off of eachother because ray is very stout and not as great as an edge rusher and brooks is very quick. If we could have ray occupy the T then it leaves brooks free.

RJF could also come in and play DT for us. Larry grant could come in for brooks

It wouldnt be a complete overhaul or anything the basic principles of the scheme would stay the same but I believe this will fix some of the issues we have had.

Thoughts?
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: mixing in 4-3 Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:

Thoughts?

I love it.. but I always have, really. Wouldn't recommend doing it mid-season though.. unless Vic really thinks the players could handle it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way they do things already. If you pay attention, you will see a 4 man DL at times with Justin and Ray in the middle.
Perhaps it's time to mix in some more blitzing though as we seem to be getting to the QB less lately...
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
I like the way they do things already. If you pay attention, you will see a 4 man DL at times with Justin and Ray in the middle.
Perhaps it's time to mix in some more blitzing though as we seem to be getting to the QB less lately...

That's the nickel defense, meant to increase pass rush, not to shut down the running game. I don't think RayMac would be a good run plugger inside on a consistent basis. Interior pass rushers often get exploited in the rush game, when their strength is a quick first step and penetration. The best team in the NFL at doing that is us, but teams have started to do it to us, this year. They're taking advantage of RayMac's slashing ability and Justin's push. I think our defense is built around stopping more zone-blocking running scheme. Against those, we close the gaps so quick and don't give up running lanes. But man blocking has given us more problems. They let RayMac take himself out of plays with quick penetration and they double/triple Justin. I think we should simply do a better of mixing assignments. I think our base D has gotten a little more predictable, lately.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: