Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Locker 8th in QBR last week, 7th on the season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s_camp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
You make a good point, but the fact that all of his "inaccurate" throws are inaccurate for the exact same reason does bother me.

He has a tendency to throw it over the receivers head... and as hard as he can Very Happy

If I remember correctly he had that problem in college? And it still hasn't been fixed?

It seems like it is typically on mid-range crossing routes, does it not? Or is that just me imagining things?

Yeah he's always had that issue. And hasn't been fixed yet? lol, I think the fact that he's went from a 50% passer in college to a 60% or so thrower in the NFL in just 1 and a half seasons is incredible. His decision making is leaps and bounds above what it was in college as well.

I think we're getting spoiled by his progress, he's not gonna be an all-pro overnight. He was considered a project coming out of college, he was projected to be a guy you'd sit for 3 or so years. And after only 1 year of sitting he's already a solid QB. His dedication and the coaching from Palmer and Hass has been incredible.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but consider the vast difference in the WRs to whom he is throwing in the NFL as compared to college. His receivers really didn't do him any favors at Washington.

And who on earth thought he'd be a three year project?
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
TitanSS wrote:
You make a good point, but the fact that all of his "inaccurate" throws are inaccurate for the exact same reason does bother me.

He has a tendency to throw it over the receivers head... and as hard as he can Very Happy

If I remember correctly he had that problem in college? And it still hasn't been fixed?

It seems like it is typically on mid-range crossing routes, does it not? Or is that just me imagining things?

Yeah he's always had that issue. And hasn't been fixed yet? lol, I think the fact that he's went from a 50% passer in college to a 60% or so thrower in the NFL in just 1 and a half seasons is incredible. His decision making is leaps and bounds above what it was in college as well.

I think we're getting spoiled by his progress, he's not gonna be an all-pro overnight. He was considered a project coming out of college, he was projected to be a guy you'd sit for 3 or so years. And after only 1 year of sitting he's already a solid QB. His dedication and the coaching from Palmer and Hass has been incredible.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but consider the vast difference in the WRs to whom he is throwing in the NFL as compared to college. His receivers really didn't do him any favors at Washington.

And who on earth thought he'd be a three year project?

His problem in college wasn't his receivers, it was his inaccuracy. While obviously Washington didn't have a bunch of NFL talent on offense, dropping passes wasn't an issue there.

Quote:
Accuracy

Easily Lockerís biggest area of concern. He has a tendency to throw over the heads of his receivers. When throwing routes towards the sideline, he depends too much on his arm strength and either throws them ahead of the receiver or in the dirt at their feet. Too often tries to make tough throws by using his cannon of an arm instead of using finesse, which gets him in trouble more often than not. Locker is almost more accurate when he is rolling out of the pocket, even to his right. He does an exception job of squaring his shoulders when throwing on the run. Again, it couldnít have been easy to consistently throw accurate passes with the poor offensive line that the Huskies provided him with.

--- http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-jake-locker

Now, for the project thing -

Quote:
Locker decided to return for his senior season and his erratic performance has certainly hurt his draft stock. An extremely gifted athlete, Locker's production does not match his talent. He possesses a cannon for an arm, but he is not an efficient passer. At this point, his greatest asset is his athleticism and it is unclear if he will ever be a starting quarterback at the next level. Also, Locker has a history of injuries due to his aggressive style of play. Overall, Locker has all the physical tools and a team will likely take a chance on him in the first round despite his inconsistent production.

--- http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jake-locker?id=2495194

Quote:
Draft Projection: 1st Round, #25 overall, Seattle Seahawks.
Locker was a player that Carroll recruited hard during his time at USC.
Hasselbeck is merely a band-aid at this point and this would be an ideal
situation for Locker to develop. Many will take into account the amount of talent that Jake Locker had to play with during his time at Washington. It is tough to progress when your WRs arenít great route runners, donít have great speed, and can not get off of press coverage. He has an early 2nd round grade from me, but I see him chosen in the 20-30 range in the draft.

--- http://nfldraftmonsters.com/scouting/scouting-report-jake-locker/

There's a couple of examples. We signed Hass to a 3 year deal as well, so I think it's safe to assume we thought it'd take Locker longer to develop than it has. 3 years may have been stretching it, but he was a developmental player due to his accuracy and decision making issues and was given a 2nd round grade by a lot of people for that reason.
s_camp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
His problem in college wasn't his receivers, it was his inaccuracy. While obviously Washington didn't have a bunch of NFL talent on offense, dropping passes wasn't an issue there.

Are you serious? They had huge problems with dropped passes. Besides that, there's more to the issue than just dropped passes. It was well discussed on this forum when Jake was drafted. Even the draft forecast you cited last mentions how bad his receivers were. I'm not claiming Locker has Manning-like accuracy, but there were a lot of problems with Washington's passing game other than his accuracy.

None of those evaluations claim he was a three year project. More importantly, there's no way an NFL front office of a rebuilding team spent the #8 pick on a three year project player.
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember a single GM or scout saying they had a second round grade on him. A bunch of internet idiots did, but he was very highly regarded by GMs. In fact, a lot of reports said the Vikings were going to take him if we didn't. (Sort of the same with Kendall Wright this year). The universal failure of internet draftniks to make even remotely accurate mock drafts shows just how much difference there is between pro scouts and hobbyists.

And to say his surrounding cast at Washington wasn't a problem is a joke. That is the main reason I had him so high on my draftboard (at 11). There were like 3 draft worthy players on his offense that year, and none of them ranked above the 4th round.

He also played in a pro-style, deep ball offense. It's really easy to complete 65% of your passes in a short-game spread offense. And if you're playing at a traditional top 25 program, you're surrounded by talent much closer to the NFL level.

Locker was the Washington football team. Was his accuracy the best? Definitely not. Was he really a college level 55% passer? Definitely not. If he had played in a spread offense at Florida, he would have been a 65%+ passer.

It's kind of absurd to me how much people got into his accuracy... The guy was a clear leader, he is very intelligent, he's an extremely hard worker, he had a very low interception and bad pass ratio, and he played at a mediocre program, but took them to incredible levels. It's damn rare to find something like that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: