Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2nd best offensive line in football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lions on top

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: 2nd best offensive line in football? Reply with quote

I don't know if this was worthy of its own thread but I'm sure it'll start some conversations, for good or bad.

ProFootballFocus has rated Detroit's line as the second best in football, behind only the 49ers. According to their rankings we're third in pass blocking, 10th in rushing and 8th in fewest penalties (not quite sure how that equates to second overall, I guess it's the most balanced lines?)

I know a lot of people are always giving our line slack but they have played very well all year. The addition of Reiff has only strengthened that. Still I think an incumbent to Riola needs to be addressed in this years draft. I think Peterman or possible Nagle can last another year as starters.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/13/offensive-line-rankings-week-10-update/3/
Lions017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not bad. I think that our line is probably above average, to be honest. I wouldn't say that they're definitely top ten, but they're close. Some teams have horrible lines.

RG is an issue, and our players are getting old, but for the time being they're playing well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective they perform well against weak lines and mediocre against teams with good lines.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not as terrible as some make them out to be. That being said I think a big part of our failure to effectively run the ball year in and year out is due to O-line, specifically the interior.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They pass block with the best of them, and run block with the worst of them.

If we weren't using a sixth lineman (Reiff) we wouldn't look nearly as effective as we have this season.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiff has been a huge boon to the run blocking, and the line has been a good pass-blocking team for years.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
They're not as terrible as some make them out to be. That being said I think a big part of our failure to effectively run the ball year in and year out is due to O-line, specifically the interior.
Yup. They work well as a unit pass blocking but they need work in the run game.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:

If we weren't using a sixth lineman (Reiff) we wouldn't look nearly as effective as we have this season.

This I agree with except I wouldn't have them last in run blocking.

For all the criticism they receive they usually give Stafford a healthy amount of time to throw the ball.

Once Reiff assumes a starters role I expect the run blocking will improve but to get really effective they need a road grader snapping the ball.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not overlook the fact that Leshoure stepped on the field and the running game improved.

Team Stylish
lions on top

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think our run blocking has been quite as bad as they appear. They've actually opened up some big holes and runningbacks (mostly Leshoure) have been missing them. This isn't to hate on Leshoure, I think he's played very well, and I love how he always keeps running. That being said though he does occasionally get happy feet and slip before finding the lane or miss the hole completely and run right into the pile of defenders.

Also, predictability, being down early and utter disregard for running in play-calling have all factored into our run blocking looking worse than they have actually been playing.
38andy38

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else in the fact that they are a good pass-blocking line and with Reiff in the 6 have been better than we've seen in terms of run-blocking.

That seems to be the problem this year IMO, this team is struggling with their identity. Are they a physical, punch you in the mouth run team who can throw it when needed or are they the pass happy throw it all over the lot team from the past couple of years?

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a difference in philosophy/strategy between Schwartz & Linehan and they are struggling to get on the same page, thus the somewhat frustrated, sometimes disinterested Stafford we witness during games. Several have pointed out that he doesn't seem as "into it" as in the past and I wonder if that's a result of a touch of conflict or confusion at the top.

Matthew, as discussed ad nauseum this season, plays like crap til the 4th quarter and then when the game is in his hands he perks up and performs as his draft position/status dictates he should.

IMO Schwartz's tiff with Jim Harbaugh and the losses to the 49ers run far deeper than we realize. The lightbulb went off and Schwartz now wants that type of team, we are gonna pound you into dust, run it down your throat.

I believe a smart guy like Schwartz has realized the team he has now wont win the big one and he has had a change of heart in terms of what they want to do on the field but he doesn't have the pieces yet. What he does have is the job security to make the shift thus the concerted efforts to run the ball,even when airing it out would more appropriate, which with this O line requires the talents of Reiff in at TE.

In the end this all results in a slightly confused Stafford, who came here thinking "we are gonna throw til my arm falls off" and doesn't have the maturity or experience at the age of 24 to see the big picture. Hopefully Matthew will get the fact that if he buys in the entire team will follow.

I won't be surprised to see 2 O linemen drafted in the first 3 rounds next year. The defence has always been on the back burner it seems with this team in the list of priorities and despite what we think I believe it will remain there for now. It may be a couple of long years before we are all happy happy with the performance of this team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

This I agree with except I wouldn't have them last in run blocking.

For all the criticism they receive they usually give Stafford a healthy amount of time to throw the ball.

Once Reiff assumes a starters role I expect the run blocking will improve but to get really effective they need a road grader snapping the ball.

Gosh, Going to piggy back both of you. Sure they can pass block pretty well but run blocking is still a fail. They need some muscle in the middle and I have to agree with Diehard that it starts with the guy hiking the ball.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: