Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bothered by Baffling Boo-Birds (our crowd sucks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
I don't think our crowd boos more than most and I'm not bothered when they do. It's part of having fans that care.

I personally believe the original premise is correct. I do think the Vikings' fan boo moreso than most others (outside of Philly).

I don't think it's commonplace around the league as you might suspect. And I also believe just saying that it shows the fans care is simply an excuse to justify bad behavior.

What I do think, however, is that it's a symbol of society as a whole (not to twist it into a sociological rant), which isn't just relegated to the Vikings' fans as a whole.

I've been to Chiefs games and as bad as they've been over the years, you don't hear nearly as much animosity towards them from the home fans as the Vikings' home fans have been towards their own. I don't know exactly what the reason is, whether it's still remnants of being spoiled over the Purple Reign Offense or if it's just built-up disappointment over so many big game losses. But, I believe it's clearly evident.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say first that I don't consider boos bad behavior in any way. You're paying money to watch a sport and if you're not happy with the result there's no reason you shouldn't voice that displeasure. I wouldn't boo high school or college kids, but pros should be fair game.

I also think that the most frustration comes from being a mediocre team, not a bad team. Fans stop caring about bad teams, mediocre teams keep the fans invested enough to dissapoint them.

As far other teams fans booing, any East coast team is worse. The Jets fans are worse.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Let me say first that I don't consider boos bad behavior in any way. You're paying money to watch a sport and if you're not happy with the result there's no reason you shouldn't voice that displeasure. I wouldn't boo high school or college kids, but pros should be fair game.

I do understand what you are saying to an extent, but I do think booing, under some circumstances, can be considered bad form, if not bad behavior. If you are booing after one incomplete pass, that's bad form. If this is the 4th time the team has stalled on a 3rd down pass (simply for example purposes), then I would find booing acceptable. It just seems to me that the Vikings fans have been quicker than usual to boo than they were in the past...almost as if they are waiting for any reason to boo.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Vikings have a very passionate fanbase, but you can tell many have gotten impatient over the last few years.

My family has season tickets, so I get to go to 3 or 4 games each year and I can tell you from 1st hand experience that it has gotten much worse over the past few seasons. It's not just the booing after a 1st quarter incompletion, but the comments in the stands about how the sky is falling.

I was at the Arizona game last season and in the second half, the Vikings were up 21 or so. McNabb under-threw a WR screen in the 3rd quarter and the fans started booing. Yes, McNabb was terrible but the team was winning by a substantial margin and the offense got booed off the field.

One other example that I was upset about was against Oakland last season. Darrius Heyward-Bey got injured on a play and you could tell that it was something with his head/neck area. While he was laying on the ground with the training staff around him the fans starting doing the wave while he was motionless on the ground. That was the first time I was embarrassed to be at a game wearing Vikings gear.

When times are good, the fans are great. The Thursday night game this year was as loud (at times) as any other game I've attended. When the Vikings are good and the fans are focused on the game, I truly believe that the Dome is the loudest field in the NFL. You leave the game horse and have ringing ears until the next morning.

I'm going to the next home game vs. the Bears, hopefully they win 1 of their next 2 so the fans have something to believe in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:

I've been to Chiefs games and as bad as they've been over the years, you don't hear nearly as much animosity towards them from the home fans as the Vikings' home fans have been towards their own.

Matt Cassel would disagree Laughing
rbvf168

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be generalize too much, but it could just be a "Gen. Y" thing. People like to win now and don't want to look too far into the future. Of course, I could be totally wrong but I feel like today's culture does play a role in this.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
disaacs wrote:

I've been to Chiefs games and as bad as they've been over the years, you don't hear nearly as much animosity towards them from the home fans as the Vikings' home fans have been towards their own.

Matt Cassel would disagree Laughing

They weren't booing him 2-3 years ago when he was making the same dumb throws. What they did this year certainly was uncalled for, but it had built up over several years before they did so. The current crop of Vikings fans would have booed him 2 years ago.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the crowd even boo last week? I guess I don't understand why this is being brought up now.
skywindO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Did the crowd even boo last week? I guess I don't understand why this is being brought up now.

It did. They booed a decision to go for a field goal rather than a TD, twice.

There was also booing aimed at the ref that overturned Winfield's pick 6. To be fair though, they didn't show a replay of it until after the ref made the call.

I do agree with the general premise of this post. I don't like the boos and I feel like Vikings fans boo way more than other fans. People suggesting otherwise are clearly not watching other games. The commentators always make a point to mention the boos of Vikings fans but rarely do for other teams.

Edit: That alliteration in the title is beautiful!

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All team's fans boo and the Vikings are far from the worst (Eagles anyone?).

Our fans just have their boo's echo around the dome.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch plenty of other games, and like I said East coast fans boo more than we do.
Swaps

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slapdaddy wrote:
Vikings fans boo their own team by far the most.

ever hear of this little team in Philadelphia?

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
D-Hemi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we are as bad as the Jets were on Thanksgiving night. Chanting For Tebow to come in the game when he has two broken Ribs
tdub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning and competency would sure solve this 'problem'. I don't think its a huge issue, and I feel a title would certainly eliminate this trend. I think really, Minnesota fans as a whole are just getting frustrated with their sports teams, as lately its been sort of the Lucy-Charlie Brown effect. Each team has made their respective conference or league championship game this past decade, yet none of them even played in the title game. The Twins were good, but never made it over the hump. When they finally advanced, there was Lucy kneeling down to hold the football. Same for the good Favre year, and same for the Sam Cassell injury ruining the Wolves chances as well. Coupled with the fact were now over 20 years with no major sports title, and rising costs, well its understandable to be frustrated. Is booing the proper way to channel this negative injury, probably not, but there is no wrong way to express these frustrations that doesn't involve illegal activities.

I mean look at these past three years for the big three sports teams (I eliminated the Wild as they would have skewed the argument, slightly, and really hockey is falling far behind the big 3 sports now.)

2012 Twins: 66-96
2011 Twins: 63-99
2012 Vikings: 3-13
2011 Vikings: 6-10
2012 Wolves: 26-40 (lockout season)
2011 Wolves: 17-65
2010 Wolves: 15-67
W: 196
L: 390

Wouldn't you be frustrated too?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

It did. They booed a decision to go for a field goal rather than a TD, twice.

There was also booing aimed at the ref that overturned Winfield's pick 6. To be fair though, they didn't show a replay of it until after the ref made the call.

I do agree with the general premise of this post. I don't like the boos and I feel like Vikings fans boo way more than other fans. People suggesting otherwise are clearly not watching other games. The commentators always make a point to mention the boos of Vikings fans but rarely do for other teams.

Edit: That alliteration in the title is beautiful!

Not only commentators but gameday threads in the general section always seems to baffle fans on why there are so many boos.

The Thursday Night game had a small joke for a bit of "booing" everything from what I remember.

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: