Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AP Weekly Rushing Record Watch
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Raymundo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: AP Weekly Rushing Record Watch Reply with quote

I thought it would be fun to track AP's assault on the all-time rushing leaders list on a weekly basis.

AP is currently ranked #47 all-time in rushing yards.

Next Up (within 200 yards):
James Brooks (-82)
Garrison Hearst (-86)
Willis McGahee (-162)
Stephen Davis (-172)
Freeman McNeil (-194)

Current List
(Bold = Active Player)
1. Emmitt Smith 18,355
2. Walter Payton 16,726
3. Barry Sanders 15,269
4. Curtis Martin 14,101
5. LaDainian Tomlinson 13,684
6. Jerome Bettis 13,662
7. Eric Dickerson 13,259
8. Tony Dorsett 12,739
9. Jim Brown 12,312
10. Marshall Faulk 12,279
11. Edgerrin James 12,246
12. Marcus Allen 12,243
13. Franco Harris 12,120
14. Thurman Thomas 12,074
15. Fred Taylor 11,695
16. John Riggins 11,352
17. Corey Dillon 11,241
18. O.J. Simpson 11,236
19. Warrick Dunn 10,967
20. Ricky Watters 10,643
21. Jamal Lewis 10,607
22. Thomas Jones 10,591
23. Tiki Barber 10,449
24. Eddie George 10,441
25. Ottis Anderson 10,273
26. Ricky Williams 10,009
27. Clinton Portis 9,923
28. Joe Perry 9,723
29. Steven Jackson 9,597
30. Shaun Alexander 9,453
31. Earl Campbell 9,407
32. Ahman Green 9,205
33. Terry Allen 8,614
34. Jim Taylor 8,597
35. Frank Gore 8,378
36. Earnest Byner 8,261
37. Herschel Walker 8,225
38. Roger Craig 8,189
39. Gerald Riggs 8,188
40. Priest Holmes 8,172
41. Larry Csonka 8,081
42. Freeman McNeil 8,074
43. Stephen Davis 8,052
44. Willis McGahee 8,042
45. Garrison Hearst 7,966
46. James Brooks 7,962
47. Adrian Peterson 7,880
48. Chris Warren 7,696
49. Terrell Davis 7,607
50. Mike Pruitt 7,378

Source: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm

Discuss.

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, of the active Runningbacks, who do you guys expect to slow down the quickest?

My guess would be Steven Jackson, and I think its because there is so much wear and tire on the guy from being St. Louis's only true weapon for years.

Until recently, I think that team is going away from Jackson, and more towards Bradford, but I think we'll see a steep decline in production by next year. He already splits with Daryl Richardson.

Next up would be McGahee, but even so, even with his age, I don't think he's been as worn down as Jackson.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
so, of the active Runningbacks, who do you guys expect to slow down the quickest?

I think McGahee. I haven't looked up his stats, but is he really doing much for Denver?

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGahee is the Broncos' starting RB. I agree with Steve, that it's going to be Steven Jackson that will slow down first. Especially since he might be out of town after this year.

The positive thing about Adrian is that he is 2 years younger than any of the active RBs ahead of him. But, it will all depend upon his durability from here on out. All of them ahead have had durability issues as well in the last couple of years.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

My guess would be Steven Jackson, and I think its because there is so much wear and tire on the guy from being St. Louis's only true weapon for years.

Until recently, I think that team is going away from Jackson, and more towards Bradford, but I think we'll see a steep decline in production by next year. He already splits with Daryl Richardson.

Next up would be McGahee, but even so, even with his age, I don't think he's been as worn down as Jackson.

Well, Jackson is a year(draft class) behind McGahee, but has a bout 1,500 more yards.. I think St. Louis is doing the right thing by splitting carries with him and Richardson to save Jackson's legs for as long as possible.
McGahee is just one more injury away from being done in my opinion. He has been looking great this year for a 9th year back, but has been injury prone in the past.
Gore is going to start to get less carries in the future also I think. They drafted Hunter and LaMichael James back to back years and picked up B. Jacobs for a reason. They are going to get production out of them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as those on the <200 yds list, I loved James Brooks as a RB. He was a do-it-all type, kept his head down and did his job, lunchpail kind of RB. He was sort of under the radar amongst the 80s RBs, but he was solid.

For a Vikings' player comparison, I would sort of compare him to his same era counterpart Darrin Nelson...not flashy, but decent.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy heck, I had no idea Shaun Alexander and Ahmad Green were on that list! #30 and #32 respectively.

I know they had some great years, but geez. Shocked

edit: to be clear, my first post was only about the bolded RBs because those were the only guys on the list I looked at. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go as far as to say Adrian will finish this season ahead of Willis McGahee on the all-time list.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a ton of RBs in that 9,000 to 11,000 range. It seems like the true indicator of a HOF RB should be around 12,000+ yards, around the top 10-15. Peterson is going to have to have realistically 3 more elite seasons after this year to get into that group.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Peterson continues to run the way he has this season, roughly 110 yards per game, he'll finish his 6th NFL season with 8,500 yards, give or take.

It's pretty amazing to think that despite how dominant Peterson has been in his first 6 season, even if he matched that production in his next 6 years, he'd still be 1,400 yards behind Emmitt Smith. I never thought Smith was all that impressive as a running back, physically, but his longevity was truly impressive.

Peterson will need another 7-8 seasons, like he's had, to surpass Emmitt Smith. That's a pretty tough task.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
There seems to be a ton of RBs in that 9,000 to 11,000 range. It seems like the true indicator of a HOF RB should be around 12,000+ yards, around the top 10-15. Peterson is going to have to have realistically 3 more elite seasons after this year to get into that group.

I'd agree. The 12,000+ yard rushing range is loosely around 7-9 years of thousand yard seasons. Realistically, Peterson's body should ensure that he has a career similar in length to Emmitt, but with the way the league has evolved, he may not get the opportunity to run the football as much over the course of his career - what with the increased amount of passing and introduction of the two-back system(s).

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
I never thought Smith was all that impressive as a running back, physically, but his longevity was truly impressive.

Missed a total of 14 games in his 15 year career, including 6 in his two years with Arizona. So far, Adrian has missed 7 games, and we are midway through his 6th season.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of hall of fame guys on that list and a few Adrian has already passed. Interesting to see how many played for the Vikes at one time or another.

Honestly, I wonder if he'll get 125 yards a game average . . . that would vault him to # 33, just ahead of former Viking Terry Allen (who, by the way had two blown ACLs in college and his pro career).
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of every name on the list, only Ahman Green surprises me.....

Frankly, I wouldn't put Smith in the top 10 for talent. He was mostly about longevity and playing with an AWESOME team around him. That said, top11-15 is still amazing.

For as great a runner is, Peterson needs to block better to be considered up among the great players, at least for me. I think he could have more receiving yards if they used him that way....

Wonder what the list looks like when you put in receiving yards? I assume Tomlinson and Faulk move up the list....
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Of every name on the list, only Ahman Green surprises me.....

Frankly, I wouldn't put Smith in the top 10 for talent. He was mostly about longevity and playing with an AWESOME team around him. That said, top11-15 is still amazing.

For as great a runner is, Peterson needs to block better to be considered up among the great players, at least for me. I think he could have more receiving yards if they used him that way....

Wonder what the list looks like when you put in receiving yards? I assume Tomlinson and Faulk move up the list....

Receiving numbers are often overrated for a RB, its more often scheme dependent and QB dependent. The great receiving backs were used more frequently in the passing game, and for backs like Peterson who really arent involved as much, its hard to figure what could be if he played in a different system. Clearly Faulk and Tomlinson are better receivers, but I dont hold receiving numbers in much regard when judging a RB. Its great, but again, certain players will get more opportunities simply by design. Peterson isnt really a bad receiver at all, he seems to be regularly getting around 35-40 catches a year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: