Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kevin Williams having a late career surge?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Kevin Williams having a late career surge? Reply with quote

DT Kevin Williams celebrated his 150th regular season game by sacking Lions QB Matthew Stafford during the 2nd quarter of Sunday's victory. Through Williams' 10 seasons with the Vikes he has accumulated 56.5 sacks, 429 tackles, recovered 12 fumbles, intercepted 4 passes and scored two touchdowns.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnesota-Vikings-Bleeding-Purple/140442792715760

what is KW's NFL future, either with the Vikes or without them?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think they might let him walk after the year, especially if he asks for a lot of dough. But, if he comes at a reasonable price, he might stick around. The only major contracts coming up are Percy and Jared Allen in 2014 (no one other than K-Will would be too expensive to re-sign in 2013). So, if they could re-sign him for 3 years to end his career (he'd be 35-36 when that contract ends), I don't think that'd be too much to ask for him or them.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin's the only really staple we have on the interior of the DL. It's difficult to justify selecting a DT early in April as a successor or contributor in the post-Kevin Williams era at the position. It's just not a position with a ton of value anymore, and it seems like a spot where the brass would much rather go with the depth we currently have over placing any sort of legitimate importance on the position.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple-Pride07 wrote:
Kevin's the only really staple we have on the interior of the DL. It's difficult to justify selecting a DT early in April as a successor or contributor in the post-Kevin Williams era at the position. It's just not a position with a ton of value anymore, and it seems like a spot where the brass would much rather go with the depth we currently have over placing any sort of legitimate importance on the position.

DT isn't a position of value?

I would say it is the MOST valuable position outside of QB.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope he stays on the Vikings. Past his prime, but still one of the better starting UT's. He's been playing well this season, I see no reason not to offer him a new deal, if it doesn't eat too much into the salary cap.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
Purple-Pride07 wrote:

I think a DT who can rush the passer is one of the more premier positions in football. That position is hard to fill, but most DTs arent going to be that valuable as you described unless they can collapse the pocket and disrupt pass/run lanes.
tickleMEpurple

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope Kevin Williams is able to be re-signed next year. Although I would like to get after a big name free agent WR like Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has been much, much better than I thought this year. Not sure he is great this year, but he's been quite good.
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we find a great FA or take an elite DT in the draft, what's the point in letting him walk with out at least trying to give him a somewhat good deal
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
He has been much, much better than I thought this year. Not sure he is great this year, but he's been quite good.

It's quite possible that the rotation schedule that Daley and Williams have put him (and the rest of the DL) on have done wonders for his performance.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastern Walrus wrote:
Unless we find a great FA or take an elite DT in the draft, what's the point in letting him walk with out at least trying to give him a somewhat good deal

We might not have a say in the manner, Williams very well could choose to sign with another team and not consider an offer from MN.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Vikings return to action Nov. 25, Kevin Williams will make his 151st career start at defensive tackle, moving him into second place all-time on the franchise starts list at defensive tackle. If he starts all six games to finish the season, he will end 2012 one behind franchise leader Alan Page, who started 157 games for the Vikings in his Hall of Fame career.

http://min.scout.com/2/1240575.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
El Raymundo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
When the Vikings return to action Nov. 25, Kevin Williams will make his 151st career start at defensive tackle, moving him into second place all-time on the franchise starts list at defensive tackle. If he starts all six games to finish the season, he will end 2012 one behind franchise leader Alan Page, who started 157 games for the Vikings in his Hall of Fame career.

http://min.scout.com/2/1240575.html

Alan Page.

All rise.

Now all bow.

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

I don't intend to come off as snooty, but I would say you couldn't be more incorrect.

vikingsrule wrote:
I think a DT who can rush the passer is one of the more premier positions in football. That position is hard to fill, but most DTs arent going to be that valuable as you described unless they can collapse the pocket and disrupt pass/run lanes.

Of course, but in that sense you're deeming that any good player at any position is 'valuable' despite the fact the position itself may not be. The 2011-2013 NFL is the most passing oriented of the organization's history. There are no non-ST's positions that can be argued as not having any value, but the DT position isn't what it once was when defending A and B-gap runs was vital to winning football games as opposed to effectively edge-rushing and coverage.

Aside from that, we definitely agree. There's a reason, aside from Kevin Williams' presence that the Vikings have not legitimately addressed DT in recent years and remained content with promoting organizational depth rather than prioritize the position in the offseason.

Alan Page? Just check the avy.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
Freakout

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple-Pride07 wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

I don't intend to come off as snooty, but I would say you couldn't be more incorrect.

vikingsrule wrote:

Of course, but in that sense you're deeming that any good player at any position is 'valuable' despite the fact the position itself may not be. The 2011-2013 NFL is the most passing oriented of the organization's history. There are no non-ST's positions that can be argued as not having any value, but the DT position isn't what it once was when defending A and B-gap runs was vital to winning football games as opposed to effectively edge-rushing and coverage.

Aside from that, we definitely agree. There's a reason, aside from Kevin Williams' presence that the Vikings have not legitimately addressed DT in recent years and remained content with promoting organizational depth rather than prioritize the position in the offseason.

Alan Page? Just check the avy.

Well they signed Remi Adoyele, who turned out to be a bust.

The past season Fraizer and Alan Williams sold Spielman on the notion that Guion could play the NT position. Which has been a bad idea.

That doesn't sound like an organization not wanting to address the DT position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: