Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 5 Up / Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Leftwich is better than most backups in this league.

You cant expect a backup getting limited snaps to come in and play at a high level.

Leftwich isnt going to wow you...but we can survive with him as long as it isnt for an extended period.

I have to respectfully disagree... I could only see Lefty beating the Browns of our remaining schedule. He can make 3 or 4 throws a game but he looks scared out there.

That's more than Matt Cassell. Laughing

More a testament to the poor backups in this league than Lefty being good.

I wouldn't mind a new backup though.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
32houchen32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP

1. steelers won
2. timmons- bear finally coming out of his cave?
3. kiesel- two sacks
4. wallaces catch
5. suisham- felt like giving him some love

DOWN

1. ben hurt
2. oline seems they lost alot of battles
3. 3rd down- thats where brown and miller IMO are the go to ppl
4. redman and dywer- they didnt seem to comfortable with hitting the hole
5. miss tackles
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure Lefty got his bell rung on that first play and shook it off. In other words in this day and age a "concussion", at least slight. The back of his head hit harder than any of the qbs that went out with concussions this weekend.

Who would we go with as an emergency Qb?

...you have a forum resume?
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
UP:

1. Brett Keisel - He had a terrific game. The Beard's best of the season.
2. Lawrence Timmons - Made the biggest play of the game and was all over the field.
3. Third down defense - The Chiefs just went 2-13.
4. Ryan Clark - Playing at a Pro Bowl level. Hopefully he will play against the Ravens.
5. Shaun Suisham - Speaking of a Pro Bowl type of season, he should be at least in the discussion.

DOWN:

1. Roethlisberger's injury - This could completely change the outlook of the entire season.
2. Slow start - I actually thought the Steelers were going to come out and take it to the Chiefs. I figured they learned their lesson against this team last year. Instead they were terrible in the first quarter and only came to life after they were down by ten.
3. Running game - There wasn't one.
4. Tomlin going for it on fourth down - No reason to give the Chiefs momentum right there. Play the field position with the defense dominating. Why give them life and good field position? Fortunately it didn't come back to haunt them.
5. Listening to Bill Hillgrove on the radio - I usually only talk about game related issues but I have to rant here. The Steelers radio play-by-play man is just horrendous to listen to. I just wished there were back to back plays where he could get at least the name of the players right or correctly call how much yardage was gained on the play. It's unbearable to follow what the hell is going on in the game. Tunch Ilkin constantly has to correct him. I rather have a seeing eye-dog bark to me the play-by-play instead.

This is what I agree with. My only difference would be that I was really Down on the fact that the Offense looked like arians did with all the passing and giving up on the run. Just can't understand that at all. Anyone know why Haley didn't pursue the running game as usual since Adams has been starting? In the Giants game they stayed with it while trailing vs the champs who have a good front 7. This game it looked like they never tried to establish the run .
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Timmons played great tonight
+ A win is a win is a win
+ Defense of play the second half
+ The Beard
+ The TD catch by Wallace

- Ben injury
- playing to the level of the competition
- run defense the first half
- Bad penalties
- Lack of a running game

All the RBs the Steelers have do something different and this is a game were I believe Mendenhall would of done well. Antonio Brown was sorely missed today as the Steelers WRs could beat coverage for most of the night. Am I the only one that thinks Haley wanted to proe a point against his former team?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know alot about KCs o-line, but is their right side that strong or does the left side of our defensive front 7 have a major issue.

Is it something with us that they saw on tape, or is that their money running side?

If its us on tape - that could be a major issue moving forward.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcash4 wrote:
Dont know alot about KCs o-line, but is their right side that strong or does the left side of our defensive front 7 have a major issue.

Is it something with us that they saw on tape, or is that their money running side?

If its us on tape - that could be a major issue moving forward.

I remember another game where Hood and Hampton just got brutally dominated on the 1st drive, and then improved as the game went on. Same happened with this game, but it took 3 quarters to improve. I wonder if Kethy can tell us what changed from the 1st 3 quarters to the last one. Btw, not many people like PFF, but there is something to be said that they are ranking the Chiefs as a top 5 offensive line in the NFL.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ups:

1. Timmons coming up big in overtime and on a few splash plays during the game
2. Keisel beasting all day long
3. 2nd half defensive adjustments other than that blasted 4th down conversion to get the tie
4. Mike Wallace's ridiculous catch
5. Steelers' DPOY so far, Ryan Clark

Downs:
1. Ziggy and Casey getting punked, especially in the 1st half, aside from one or two splash plays where he showed what he is capable of
2. Timmons' play against the run most of the game
3. Colon and Pouncey getting owned for the most part
4. Our defensive play in the first half - thankfully we stopped suckering ourselves with that blasted zone stretch BS. We played it the same way vs. Oakland and got slapped around. Casey sucks against the zone stretch. Don't make him go laterally, he is a north/south guy 100%
5. Our offensive play all game long. Really uninspired performance. Perhaps Antonio Brown is a bit more important than we thought, or perhaps we just had our annually cruddy game vs. KC?
6. Ben. Sad

Last edited by kethnaab on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:

I remember another game where Hood and Hampton just got brutally dominated on the 1st drive, and then improved as the game went on. Same happened with this game, but it took 3 quarters to improve. I wonder if Kethy can tell us what changed from the 1st 3 quarters to the last one.

same crap that happens against darn near every ZBS everytime we play them. I don't know why the heck we do this to ourselves. We know darn well HOW to defend it. We did it great vs. Washington and as we saw, we clamped down in the 2nd half. But this season, we saw it against Denver, Oakland, and the first half vs. KC. We suck vs. the zone stretch when we have our guys move laterally. ESPECIALLY Casey Hampton. Teams get Hampton on the field and keep him there with the no huddle and create cutback lanes constantly. They get him moving laterally, and inertia is a mofracker. Once you get 375 lbs moving, it tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force, like a blocker moving in the opposite direction. Snack darn sure can't stop his own movement once he's going laterally. Timmons and Foote looked like a$$ vs. the run today and made poor reads and as a result, tackles 7 and 8 yards downfield.

Then, we have our DL go upfield and penetrate. That's how you defeat the zone stretch. You penetrate the LoS up front and break that stretch garbage up and FORCE the cutback into a crowded interior.

Why run to the Steelers' left side? Because we typically have our LDE play a more pattycake/read/react role while we have Keisel do a bit more penetrating. Ziggy sucks at anchoring once he gives up his leverage, and if Casey Hampton is doing anything other than squatting or firing off the LoS, he also is useless.

If you notice, early in the game, we were in base a lot, with Ziggy at LDE and Snack at NT. Ziggy really isn't very good as a 5-T and Casey sucks vs. ZBS. Once we started to go nickel consistently and penetrate up front, we did much better.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cincinnati attacked our run D on that side early on as well.

Thanks Lyasr 529
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMashMouthMike wrote:

that's because Andre Smith ate Ziggy Hood alive. Totally different run scheme. Once their backup center came in, Ziggy stunted inside alot and Casey Hampton pounded that center and drew their LG (name escapes me) into a double quite effectively.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
SMashMouthMike wrote:

that's because Andre Smith ate Ziggy Hood alive. Totally different run scheme. Once their backup center came in, Ziggy stunted inside alot and Casey Hampton pounded that center and drew their LG (name escapes me) into a double quite effectively.

Are you saying we should stick to our sub packages then? Wouldn't one think a base defense would be more equipped to stop the run?
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Leftwich is better than most backups in this league.

You cant expect a backup getting limited snaps to come in and play at a high level.

Leftwich isnt going to wow you...but we can survive with him as long as it isnt for an extended period.

I slightly disagree..i think with more snaps he will be better than many starting qb's now for an extended period.

Down- It's november, It's pittsburg, It's cold, It's raining, The ball is slippery, We've got two huge and fast 250 pound ready to standpede elephants known to most as "running backs"...and what do we do? We come out throwing? No..it's not an over reaction. Haley took this game personal and he wanted to prove a point..we are running this ball...and his short passing crap of a system needs to stay toned down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
SMashMouthMike wrote:

Are you saying we should stick to our sub packages then? Wouldn't one think a base defense would be more equipped to stop the run?

against standard blocking schemes, no doubt. Against the zone stretches, Casey Hampton needs to be allowed to simply fire off the snap and put the center on his butt-tocks, or send him to the bench.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: