Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My mock draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ57

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: My mock draft Reply with quote

First time ever so be nice!

In the biggest un-surprise move of the decade Jake Long and his agent find a sucker. The Dolphins decide the money is better spent in other areas. This nets us a comp pick in 2014.
1) Best OT left from Jake Matthews/Tyler Lewan/Eric Fisher

In the biggest surprise move, Philbin convinces Ireland that having Solia and Odrick (each) only playing part of the downs is a waste of money. He reminds Ireland we are rebuilding as a 4-3 defense and don't need a NT. We trade Solia, extend Starks, and move Odrick to DT. I will leave it to you guys to decide fair market value and add a pick for that trade later.
2A )DE Alex Oakafor or Jackson Jeffcoat (edit didn't know Jeffcoat was hurt so sub Dion Jordan)

There is no way around it. We need better CB's.
2B) CB Jordan Poyer/Justin Gilbert/Nickell Roby

We start seeing all the top WR's fly off the board. Ireland gets nervious and pulls the trigger.
3A) WR DeAndre Hopkins

Tired of all the deep pass plays against double coverage Coyle demands a safety.
3C) FS Bacarri Rambo/Zeke Motta

We need WR's so...
4) WR Da'Rick Rogers/Cobi Hamilton

Reggie Bush spring boards his Dolphin's success into a big pay day and we aren't willing to match. We see a number of guys we would be happy to have.
5) RB Stephan Taylor/Jonathon Franklin/Ray Graham

Depth never hurts and we are very shallow at LB'er.
6 & 7A) LB Steve Greer and Cameron Lawrence

Someone cost us some games and somebody isn't forgetting!
7B) K Caleb Sturgis

If you want to include what we get for Solia I'd hope we could at least get Alvin Bailey/Omoregie Uzzi. Jonathon Cooper/Dallas Thomas would be better!

Last edited by Russ57 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall not bad, and pretty realistic as far as scenario's go. It's interesting about the Soliai trade, I don't see it, but it's interesting.

Well done.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see the Soliai trade either.

You have us with three third round picks?

Other than that, I like this draft and can definitely see a trade up. I can also see a trade down.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solia is paid a fair amount of money yet only plays about 60% of the snaps. He is worth a lot to a team in need of a proven NT. I think he offers us more in trade value than as a player. Plus it lets Odrick move inside where he belongs.

We pick up an extra third if Jake Long signs with another team.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind moving Soliai. Starks is the better pass-rushing DT, Odrick is more suited at DT to rush the passer as well.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wouldn't pick up that third until 2014.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not in favor of trading Soliai. He is too big, strong, and athletic to be blocked with one guy. Having Soliai in there gives other people 1-0n-1 matchups, and that is pretty important for the task of getting pressure with just 4 down linemen

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
Russ57

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, fixed bpastermack.

RealMetalFan, sure looked like Steve Hutchinson handled him one on one to me.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
Thanks, fixed bpastermack.

RealMetalFan, sure looked like Steve Hutchinson handled him one on one to me.

Probably not a good way to judge a player(going off of today's game). Just like using the Chicago game to judge Titan players/coaches. Was a completely off game for the Titans last week and was just a completely off one for Miami this week.

And whats the deal with Jake Long? Has he been struggling more than just this season? Not sure I'd get rid of him just for one down season. Roos struggled in 2010, but has bounced back well these past two years. Has it been more than just this year?
Russ57

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend, first let me say you guys have displayed a lot of class. We acted like we thought your team was an easy win and you guys totally embrassed us. Despite this your people come here offering hugs and telling us to hold our head high as it was just a fluke. Your team played with purpose and made it clear they wanted to redeem last week's game. It was no fluke IMHO.

As you can tell I am in a minority with regards to Solia. I just think a proven good NT is worth more to a 3-4 defense than he is to us right now and we could use the draft pick/player.

Long hasn't been himself for a couple of years. He just seems to be getting worse as time goes on. He is still better than average but nowhere near what he is paid and especially what we fear he will demand. This has us more than a litttle concerned that we are going to see a first overall pick walk away with nothing in return but a big hole at LT. All of that is a matter of great concern/debate/and worry for us.
phinmun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soliai trade's brilliant, Russ.

Our DTs suck.

Can I be honest?

They're all run-stuffers. None of them can get between blockers and get pressure up the middle. They just waste time and wait for the RB to come to them which creates a solid wall for run defense but they can't contain more explosive RBs or disrupt the pocket.

Odrick seems to have a couple good plays a game and Starks seems to have a couple good games a season but beyond we have no right talking highly of anyone but Wake or Dansby on our defense.

So anything that gets Soliai or Odrick out of Miami I'll support. Wake and Starks are our most accomplished D-linemen so we're hand-cuffed to them. Keeping Starks means a new contract but I'd rather get rid of guys who don't change the outcome of football games.

Soliai is clearly the guy who teams will be more interested in because he can play competently in a variety of defensive fronts and really add to any teams run-stuffing ability. He's unnecessary to us since our problem is fielding a credible pass defense.

Think we could get a 3rd for him? I bet we could. Probably nothing more though.

As far as the mock, I can't complain because you handed me DeAndre Hopkins. Laughing Our O-line is playing horribly so I can't argue with the picks there either. We have two first rounders, a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder right now. And now we're talking about replacing a 1st rounder with another 1st rounder. That's disgusting.

The only area I'm hesitant with is the secondary. I'm not sure we need to add pieces if we re-sign Sean Smith. I'm starting to question that though. He's so clumsy and stiff I think I've about seen enough of him. With Richard Marshall coming back I'd consider ditching Sean Smith if he continues to look as he has over the last 3 weeks. This has to change or I'm bailing on the idea of continuing to support this guy. This has been 3 bad weeks in a row for him where he's displayed the same problems. He cannot handle quickness and speed. How that's not a major liability, I'm starting to wonder.
Clutch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
TitanLegend, first let me say you guys have displayed a lot of class. We acted like we thought your team was an easy win and you guys totally embrassed us. Despite this your people come here offering hugs and telling us to hold our head high as it was just a fluke. Your team played with purpose and made it clear they wanted to redeem last week's game. It was no fluke IMHO.

As you can tell I am in a minority with regards to Solia. I just think a proven good NT is worth more to a 3-4 defense than he is to us right now and we could use the draft pick/player.

Long hasn't been himself for a couple of years. He just seems to be getting worse as time goes on. He is still better than average but nowhere near what he is paid and especially what we fear he will demand. This has us more than a litttle concerned that we are going to see a first overall pick walk away with nothing in return but a big hole at LT. All of that is a matter of great concern/debate/and worry for us.

The Legend of Horse Sheet grows. Had 2 holding penalties in all of 2011.

Struggling mightily this year. Not sure if it because of injury, scheme or both.

Looks like we need a LT (providing Jake walks), LG, RG and possibly RT according to some.

We have no time to have a bad season. We need to win now, every week from here on out. It is our time NOW!!!! This team should be winning the division and well on its way to a Super Bowl. I mean look at the skill on this team.

Offense: How do we not put up 30 every game? Hartline? Bess is a matchup nightmare with his combination of hands and smarts.

Defense: Couldn't catch a cold in day care.

Tell me Titan Fan, you had to be shakin in your boots with the thought of Hartline/Bess/Fasano lining up against you. Man, you must have really had to put together an extensive scheme? Wait. What? What do you mean you don't know who the hell Brian Hartline is?

And how in gawds green earth do we not have a mock that has us taking a pass catching TE that can actually catch? In today's NFL with TE's being some of the best weapons in the NFL I have to watch Fasano help J Martin block avg players 3 out of 4 downs?

When was the last time this offense was feared? Mid Marino years? O ya, when the Marks Brothers were in town. Even with the Great Marino this franchise still thought it be acceptable to run Gadsden and Mcduffie out each week. Tony Martin was productive but not elite.

Time for bed kiddies. Keep dreaming of lollipops and candy canes while you worry about fixing the Fins problems.

Serious: how many of our 'skill players' on O would start for NO/NE/Den/Atl/Dal/Pitt/Indy/NYG/GB or any other elite offense? Zero.

Sweet dreams... Twisted Evil
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
Russ57 wrote:

The Legend of Horse Sheet grows. Had 2 holding penalties in all of 2011.

Struggling mightily this year. Not sure if it because of injury, scheme or both.

Looks like we need a LT (providing Jake walks), LG, RG and possibly RT according to some.

We have no time to have a bad season. We need to win now, every week from here on out. It is our time NOW!!!! This team should be winning the division and well on its way to a Super Bowl. I mean look at the skill on this team.

Offense: How do we not put up 30 every game? Hartline? Bess is a matchup nightmare with his combination of hands and smarts.

Defense: Couldn't catch a cold in day care.

Tell me Titan Fan, you had to be shakin in your boots with the thought of Hartline/Bess/Fasano lining up against you. Man, you must have really had to put together an extensive scheme? Wait. What? What do you mean you don't know who the hell Brian Hartline is?

And how in gawds green earth do we not have a mock that has us taking a pass catching TE that can actually catch? In today's NFL with TE's being some of the best weapons in the NFL I have to watch Fasano help J Martin block avg players 3 out of 4 downs?

When was the last time this offense was feared? Mid Marino years? O ya, when the Marks Brothers were in town. Even with the Great Marino this franchise still thought it be acceptable to run Gadsden and Mcduffie out each week. Tony Martin was productive but not elite.

Time for bed kiddies. Keep dreaming of lollipops and candy canes while you worry about fixing the Fins problems.

Serious: how many of our 'skill players' on O would start for NO/NE/Den/Atl/Dal/Pitt/Indy/NYG/GB or any other elite offense? Zero.

Sweet dreams... Twisted Evil

I want to stake my claim for Tyler Eifert. I completely agree that a pass-catching TE makes a world of difference. I think if we pick in the middle of the first round, then he has to be our pick. We can draft some OL and WRs in the 2nd and 3rd, but Eifert has all of the skills to be elite in our offense. I think if he blows up in the combine we shouldn't hesitate or try to "trade back" hoping he's there at the end of the 1st. We seriously lack receiving ability in our offense and it's something that we need to get to let Tannehill progress. I'm doubting more and more that we pay Reggie to come back. Thomas and Milller carried the load yesterday and had some nice runs. I also can't see us bringing Long back for more than a year. Nobody knows if he's hurt or it's the scheme, but he doesn't seem to fit what we're doing right now. I still want to see Sean Smith come back because he always seems to be in great position. Maybe he should have a couple practices with the WRs so he can learn how to catch. I think he dropped at least 2 more picks yesterday. We have holes all over, so I think it's gonna be a little bit longer than we anticipate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to think there are good free agent TE's this year. In fact we just played against one.

If the Sporano's dolphins needed a 3-4 NT I'd be very happy to get the likes of Solia for only a third. However one can tell from the OL guys I picked that is where I valued him.

Our team isn't terrible but it is clear that it is filled with big/strong/tough guys in the sprano/tuna mold. We no longer play that type of game on either side of the ball. It can reflect well in certain stats like run defense but I think that will change over time. We need more sacks/pressures and if that means more sucess against us on the ground so be it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: