Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Much as I hate to start a Jerry thread...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Much as I hate to start a Jerry thread... Reply with quote

... but this is an interesting thought.

Quote:
1) There is no way that Jerry Jones is going to fire himself as the general manager of the Dallas Cowboys because he really is not the general manager, but rather the ultimate decision maker. Jones does not come to work with the same responsibilities as general managers around the league, but he does have the final say on all decisions that affect the long- and short-range future of the team. Jones is not grinding tape, looking for the next superstar; he is doing other things and must rely on his staff to provide him with the correct information. So instead of calling for his head as GM, 'Boys fans should question the information reaching Jones' ears.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000092346/article/bruce-arians-unsung-hero-of-selfless-indianapolis-colts

Personally I think the drafting has been a lot better of late, but for the ostensibly bad calls (Free contract, Spears contract, Scandrick contract, thinking Livings and Burnindeuce would fix the interior, etc.), is it time to start blaming Stephen, the rest of the FO, Garrett, and Ryan?

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with Free or Scan's contract.

And none of this should be all that shocking. It's been widely referenced that Coaches (especially post-Tuna) have had an extreme say over players picked. But it's not just limited to Coaches. Part of the biggest problem with Dallas has been the sheer amount of voices that have had Jerry's ear. Jerry allows himself to be influenced - for good or bad.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the Scandrick contract isn't that bad, at least not as bad as it looked at the time. Free, bleh. The guy has like a $12M cap number next year and the year after and has basically been garbage since he signed the deal.

I know they basically had to bring him back, and it looked like a solid deal at the time, and hindsight is 20-20. But don't we all criticize play-calling, with the same added benefit of hindsight? Shouldn't a decision with months of deliberation be due more criticism than a decision with seconds of deliberation?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can give a chimp the answer to a math question that does not mean he is going to have any idea on how to use it, know what math is. Or even care to use it, instead doing what he wants to do. And considering if you [inappropriate/removed] a chimp off that it can easily kill you. Your not going to put up barely anything resembling a fight with it listening to your opinion and just walk on egg shells around them.

Sciz wrote:
The sarcastic comments are getting old. We already dislike you. Don't make it worse.
LIES!
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:
You can give a chimp the answer to a math question that does not mean he is going to have any idea on how to use it, know what math is. Or even care to use it, instead doing what he wants to do. And considering if you [inappropriate/removed] a chimp off that it can easily kill you. Your not going to put up barely anything resembling a fight with it listening to your opinion and just walk on egg shells around them.

Besides, chimps will fling poo at you if you make 'em mad.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
sniderboys23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time of the contract were hating it then? That's the question u should ask. Remember he was highly regarded on this board to be resigned. At the time I think it was a good decision. Now no probably not but u can't have the second guessing now

Major Props to El Ramster!!!!
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Much as I hate to start a Jerry thread... Reply with quote

Quote:
Jones is not grinding tape, looking for the next superstar; he is doing other things and must rely on his staff to provide him with the correct information.

I hope everybody understands that right there is the problem. The ultimate decision maker needs to be the guy that puts in the time to analyze thousands of hours of watching tape to see how well a player translates to nfl. Otherwise, we are at the mercy of who makes the most compelling argument to a businessman.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Much as I hate to start a Jerry thread... Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Quote:
Jones is not grinding tape, looking for the next superstar; he is doing other things and must rely on his staff to provide him with the correct information.

I hope everybody understands that right there is the problem. The ultimate decision maker needs to be the guy that puts in the time to analyze thousands of hours of watching tape to see how well a player translates to nfl. Otherwise, we are at the mercy of who makes the most compelling argument to a businessman.

Correct. While I applaud our Scouting department for excelling at finding talent outside of D1 Schools, ultimately the scouts should assist in highlighting potential players and performers, the GM should be assessing talent on both the collegiate level as well as determining potential trade/FA acquisitions that would fit well with the team.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sniderboys23 wrote:
At the time of the contract were hating it then? That's the question u should ask. Remember he was highly regarded on this board to be resigned. At the time I think it was a good decision. Now no probably not but u can't have the second guessing now

Why not, though? These are decisions made with months of tape analysis and team discussions. Perfection is not to be expected, but it's fair to point out mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Much as I hate to start a Jerry thread... Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Quote:

Correct. While I applaud our Scouting department for excelling at finding talent outside of D1 Schools, ultimately the scouts should assist in highlighting potential players and performers, the GM should be assessing talent on both the collegiate level as well as determining potential trade/FA acquisitions that would fit well with the team.
i would love to know the real number of hours these other gm's spend. We can speculate all we want. That's why every team has a scouting dept...

J_Rowskee_DC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does Rob Ryan's contract expire?

thanks to Joe_is_the_best
sniderboys23

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without looking and going off my memory I thought it was a 3 yr deal

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, it's working. I think we need to keep it up...

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/jerry-jones-criticism-made-it-a-tough-week-for-me-it-does-bother-me.html/

It's clear Jerry is starting to feel the pressure and it bothers him

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Hey guys, it's working. I think we need to keep it up...

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/jerry-jones-criticism-made-it-a-tough-week-for-me-it-does-bother-me.html/

It's clear Jerry is starting to feel the pressure and it bothers him

....but, my guess is it all falls on deaf ears.

Kiltman on avy Pepper90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
mco65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt he hears the criticism but its my guess that he has enough folks around him telling him how great he is that it far out weighs the outside critics.

Besides, he has been hearing the critics loud and clear since the day he fired Jimmy Johnson and that was almost 20 years ago.. you think the pressure or criticism is any greater now than it was back then??

Jerry Jones will play the meddling GM role until the day he dies or is too ill to do so for better or worse. My guess is, we got him for another decade or more. My guess is that Stephen will be the same as Jerry.. i might be wrong but I think the chances are good that Stephen will do the same as Jerry as far as GM goes but he may not meddle as much.. fingers crossed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: