Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mid-season analysis of Lions Needs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionsChamps201?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Mid-season analysis of Lions Needs Reply with quote

CB, G, S, DE, OLB, RB

CB - Same old story, different year. In a evermore pass-happy NFL, the Lions seem content with what ever band-aid solution they have at CB. Our problems are masked by how good our DL is, and by how our D-scheme protects them. Adding to our problems is the fact that our only decent CB, Houston, is a FA.
solution - resigning Houston is a must, though I wouldnt break the bank for what is essentially is a #2 CB on most teams. This could be the year we actually spend a 1st our 2nd round pick on a CB since it is a pretty good draft class (DeMarcus Milliner, Xavier Rhodes, David Amerson, Jonthan Banks)

G - When defenses play their safeties 15-20 yards deep, we have to be able to run the ball. The Lions started to address this need by drafting Reiff, and between Backus, Fox, and possible resigning Cherilus...we should be ok at tackle. Now we need to address the interior of the OL. Our guards, namely Peterson is not getting it done. Riola has never been a great run blocker either. This unit needs an upgrade badly.
solution - The Liosn could draft one of Alabama's great inside linemen - Chance Warmack or Barret Jones. Again, it is a good draft class for guards

S - Delmas is a FA and he is probably their only good safety on the team. Sadly, John Wendling will literally be the only safety on the team next year. The Lions must resign Delmas and find someone to go next to him

DE - Avril will be a FA. So will Jackson. Young will be a RFA. And VandenBosch may be cut because of his ridiculous salary. Our DL is our strength and we must not give that up
solution - I doubt Avril will ask for less than he did last year, so I expect him not to be on the team next year (given our salary issues). The should resign Young and Jacnkson, cut then resign VandenBoesch for less, and find some gems in the mid-round of the draft

OLB - Both Levy and Durant are FA next year. We cannot over look the imporance of OLB in a wide 9 defense because having those DE out so wide exposes our OLBs
solution - If we can bring back both Durant and Levy, i'd be happy. However, I wouldnt rule out draft a guy like Manti Te'o or CJ Mosley because either guy would be a playmaker on our D

RB - Im not one who believes we have a huge need for a RB. Yes, we need to be able t run the ball but we do that with our front 5, not with another RB. Leshore and Bell have been pretty good downhill runners, but they could use a speedback to change the pace. Its obvious now that Jahvid Best will not be that guy
solutions - I definately would not sped a 1st, nd round pick on another RB unless someone special falls to us. A lot of teams find gems in the mid-late rounds. I would let Best, Williams and Logan go and try to find that gem

*thanks to Dr. Ray for his analysis of the Lions salary cap
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the Lions have been playing the only position that cant be upgraded is number one WR.

So really, they have need at almost every position.

The defensive line has been adequate but they haven't been great by any stretch of the imagination.

Linebackers, again adequate but the Lions need help there although if Travis Lewis continues to develop they may not be as bad off as we think.

CB and S are both huge needs.

On offence they need Guards and a Center. I think the biggest priority here is RG but I know many fans wii say Center. I'm also not convinced that receiver isn't a need because Young is playing very spotty. One could argue they also need to be looking at TE because of contracts that will be expiring.

Really the Lions roster is more a case of trying to determine where they are set because its a shorter list than the needs.

If I were ranking based on need it would look something like this.

1. Safety. The Lions really have trouble here. Delmas is the defensive leader of this team but he can't stay healthy therefore he can't be depended on. No matter how good Delmas becomes, it's irrelevant. They need players on the field.

2. Defensive End. I know this will raise a few eyebrows but bear with me. The entire Detroit defence is built around being able to generate pressure. The line has been very inconsistent. KVB is slowing and Avril is to be a free agent and I don't see him being worth the asking price. I think it's important the Lions re-sign SLH at DT. As detfan has mentioned Suh might just accomplish more playing at the DE position. So if that's feasible move Suh to DE, resign Sammie Hill and draft a DE. I hade hoped Ronnell Lewis would have worked his way into the rotation but having not seen him so far its looking like he won't be part of the Lions long term future.

3. Guard. The Lions have been searching for a running game for years. Now they have LeShoure and Bell who have been excellent when the blocking is there. The addition of a road grader type guard on the right side would improve the consistency and quality of run blocking.

4. Center. Dom has been a warrior but its time to find his replacement. Once again the running game would improve if they could improve the blocking here.

In regards to guard and Center I think the best course of action would be to only add one player at one of these positions because I believe offensive line continuity is vastly underrated. The Lions do have options here depending how the draft unfolds. Reiff has shown he's a gamer and should be ready at LT next season. They could then shift Backus to right guard and draft a Center. This would be the optimum solution provided coaches feel Bachus can play guard and a quality prospect Center is available.

5. CB. I know I will get a great deal of flak for having CB so far down the list but the Lions do have a number of young corners they seem high on. What the Lions are lacking is a true number one corner but chances are there will be better players available than a corner when the Lions select and if they manage to upgrade safety it will help the secondary as a unit.

6. Special teams. I really don't think the Lions have done a good job here. In a perfect world the Lions would draft a player in the early rounds for the secondary that could also return kicks. They also have Broyles on the roster but have chosen not to use him in this capacity.

7. LB/RB/T pick a position. The Lions have expiring contracts etc.

I'm not a fan of the way the Lions have been assembled but Mayhew has committed to a dynamic offence and a pressure defence so they need to keep this in mind as they continue the rebuild. Changing methodology at this point will lessen the impact of the players already drafted.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see a high profile player moved to address an area of concern depending how the draft shakes out and what they can accomplish in free agency.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see the Lions attempt to either move up in the first round or acquire a second first round selection.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Lions have at least one solution to their interior line problems on the roster already. Bill Nagy is a potential starter at C. The Lions were feeling pretty good about Rodney Austin, a guard, during training camp. He just got caught up in a numbers game. I also think that Carmen Messina, a LB could make the team as a back-up next year.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
I hope the Lions have at least one solution to their interior line problems on the roster already. Bill Nagy is a potential starter at C. The Lions were feeling pretty good about Rodney Austin, a guard, during training camp. He just got caught up in a numbers game. I also think that Carmen Messina, a LB could make the team as a back-up next year.

I hope you're right. It wouldn't disrupt the chemistry as much that way.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Lions017

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of moving Backus to RG. Not only does that provide some continuity, but it upgrades a position without forcing us to sign a FA or spend a draft pick.

Of course, even if we did move Backus, we still might want to draft a G. He's not going to be around for much longer. It's a short-term move that would allow us to ease someone else in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
The way the Lions have been playing the only position that cant be upgraded is number one WR.

So really, they have need at almost every position.

The defensive line has been adequate but they haven't been great by any stretch of the imagination.

Linebackers, again adequate but the Lions need help there although if Travis Lewis continues to develop they may not be as bad off as we think.

CB and S are both huge needs.

On offence they need Guards and a Center. I think the biggest priority here is RG but I know many fans wii say Center. I'm also not convinced that receiver isn't a need because Young is playing very spotty. One could argue they also need to be looking at TE because of contracts that will be expiring.

Really the Lions roster is more a case of trying to determine where they are set because its a shorter list than the needs.

If I were ranking based on need it would look something like this.

1. Safety. The Lions really have trouble here. Delmas is the defensive leader of this team but he can't stay healthy therefore he can't be depended on. No matter how good Delmas becomes, it's irrelevant. They need players on the field.

2. Defensive End. I know this will raise a few eyebrows but bear with me. The entire Detroit defence is built around being able to generate pressure. The line has been very inconsistent. KVB is slowing and Avril is to be a free agent and I don't see him being worth the asking price. I think it's important the Lions re-sign SLH at DT. As detfan has mentioned Suh might just accomplish more playing at the DE position. So if that's feasible move Suh to DE, resign Sammie Hill and draft a DE. I hade hoped Ronnell Lewis would have worked his way into the rotation but having not seen him so far its looking like he won't be part of the Lions long term future.

3. Guard. The Lions have been searching for a running game for years. Now they have LeShoure and Bell who have been excellent when the blocking is there. The addition of a road grader type guard on the right side would improve the consistency and quality of run blocking.

4. Center. Dom has been a warrior but its time to find his replacement. Once again the running game would improve if they could improve the blocking here.

In regards to guard and Center I think the best course of action would be to only add one player at one of these positions because I believe offensive line continuity is vastly underrated. The Lions do have options here depending how the draft unfolds. Reiff has shown he's a gamer and should be ready at LT next season. They could then shift Backus to right guard and draft a Center. This would be the optimum solution provided coaches feel Bachus can play guard and a quality prospect Center is available.

5. CB. I know I will get a great deal of flak for having CB so far down the list but the Lions do have a number of young corners they seem high on. What the Lions are lacking is a true number one corner but chances are there will be better players available than a corner when the Lions select and if they manage to upgrade safety it will help the secondary as a unit.

6. Special teams. I really don't think the Lions have done a good job here. In a perfect world the Lions would draft a player in the early rounds for the secondary that could also return kicks. They also have Broyles on the roster but have chosen not to use him in this capacity.

7. LB/RB/T pick a position. The Lions have expiring contracts etc.

I'm not a fan of the way the Lions have been assembled but Mayhew has committed to a dynamic offence and a pressure defence so they need to keep this in mind as they continue the rebuild. Changing methodology at this point will lessen the impact of the players already drafted.

It really wouldn't surprise me to see a high profile player moved to address an area of concern depending how the draft shakes out and what they can accomplish in free agency.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see the Lions attempt to either move up in the first round or acquire a second first round selection.

I completely agree with your rankings. In fact, I may even put DE first, since our DEs are rather uneffective despite the fact that our defense relies on their success. If we can get a lights out DE, I think maybe the DLine could finally live up to all the hype.
Lions017

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE is actually a huge need, now that I think about it. I could really see this team not resigning Avril, and if he goes then that's a huge hole to fill with KVB getting older. I can see us getting maybe one more year out of KVB as a starting-caliber player, and even now he's no longer more than average, IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
DE is actually a huge need, now that I think about it. I could really see this team not resigning Avril, and if he goes then that's a huge hole to fill with KVB getting older. I can see us getting maybe one more year out of KVB as a starting-caliber player, and even now he's no longer more than average, IMO.
Yeah, DE is a giant need considering KVB isn't that good even right now.

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potential free agents (though not sure how active we can be with the cap situation)

OG
Andy Levitre

DE
Dwight Freeny
Osi Umenyiora
Michael Johnson

DB
Brent Grimes
Sean Smith
Quentin Jammer
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Aquib Talib

S
William Moore
DaShon Goldson
LaRon Landry
Jarius Byrd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the order DHLF had as priorities mostly because I feel Houston has been everything I could ask for as a "#1 corner" and has been one of our more consistent players.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Lions017 wrote:
Yeah, DE is a giant need considering KVB isn't that good even right now.

Agreed, I don't think KVB would be starting on many other teams right now. Love his attitude, but that's just not enough anymore.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
carlande

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
I agree with the order DHLF had as priorities mostly because I feel Houston has been everything I could ask for as a "#1 corner" and has been one of our more consistent players.

He was carted off to the locker-room with an ice-pack wrapped around his ankle. That had to be a severe ankle injury which probably leaves him out for next week against the Packers if not longer.

I was surprised when Houston re-signed with the Lions for a 1 year deal after testing free-agency. It's possible a team forks out the money for him this time around.

To all who are downplaying the priority to upgrade the corner position:

THE LIONS HAVEN'T FACED AN ELITE PASSING ATTACK YET THIS SEASON.

Here come the Packers, Texans, Colts, Packers, and Falcons...I can't think of a better group of passing offenses unless you add on the Saints and Patriots for good measure. I'm not trying to be mean. But I think the Lions secondary, and Defense in general, is going to get a hard reality check.

Even if the Lions sign the cut-by-the-Chiefs Routt or get the cut-by-the-Broncos Florence healthy or whoever else they bring in, they will be abused by these offenses. Just forget it. Even with a healthy Houston there'd be trouble. I can't stress enough the importance of getting some real motivated talent in the defensive backfield.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlande wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:

He was carted off to the locker-room with an ice-pack wrapped around his ankle. That had to be a severe ankle injury which probably leaves him out for next week against the Packers if not longer.

I was surprised when Houston re-signed with the Lions for a 1 year deal after testing free-agency. It's possible a team forks out the money for him this time around.

To all who are downplaying the priority to upgrade the corner position:

THE LIONS HAVEN'T FACED AN ELITE PASSING ATTACK YET THIS SEASON.

Here come the Packers, Texans, Colts, Packers, and Falcons...I can't think of a better group of passing offenses unless you add on the Saints and Patriots for good measure. I'm not trying to be mean. But I think the Lions secondary, and Defense in general, is going to get a hard reality check.

Even if the Lions sign the cut-by-the-Chiefs Routt or get the cut-by-the-Broncos Florence healthy or whoever else they bring in, they will be abused by these offenses. Just forget it. Even with a healthy Houston there'd be trouble. I can't stress enough the importance of getting some real motivated talent in the defensive backfield.

I agree they need to upgrade the secondary. I'm just not certain how best they go about it.

I still think they need safety help more if no other reason than they have Houston. Of course if he leaves that changes the need list entirely.

If nothing else the Lions at least have some youth at corner they seem high on. Currently they have nothing at safety except backups. I know people will counter with Delmas but at some point it has to be recognized he isn't on the field much so his actual impact is negligible. Spievey hasn't shown much and he's always banged up to.

My feelings are based a great deal on how the team was built and at this stage of their rebuild I think the course is charted and to head in a different direction would be troublesome.

Given its a pressure defence I feel strongly they have to do whatever is required to increase the lines ability to generate that pressure. It's early in the scouting process but I don't see a corner that has the ability to stick with a receiver long enough to be a huge difference maker that's why I feel defensive end is a bigger need than corner.

I could be out to lunch. It wouldn't be the first time. Besides I like lunch Cool

There are many needs and what gets filled in the draft will most likely be determined by who's available.

I wonder if there are any corners, safety's or defensive ends available in free agency Mayhew likes and takes a run at.

There are some good ends in this draft. One I think would be a worthwhile trade up depending where the Lions land in the first round.

I don't know carlande but this team and this roster just makes me scratch my head.

The only guy I'm certain of is CJ. The guy is a beast even when he's less than 100%. Beyond that, meh.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
DTOW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our biggest problem imo is our total lack of offensive aggressiveness in the first half. I'm really getting sick of the first down 2 yard rush, second down 4 yard completion, third down check down, punt.

WHERE ARE ALL OF THE 10-25 YARD PASSES IN THE FIRST HALF!
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety is without a doubt our biggest need. We NEED to resign Delmas, even though he is injury prone. Then we need to sign a fringe backup/starter type and draft one in the first two rounds or sign one of the top S FAs (if one hits the market) and draft another one in like the 4th round because of Delmas' injuries.

Then, I dont think CB is a huge need. If we re-sign Houston, he is a true #1 CB IMO. The three guys we drafted last year all have a shot to be good. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

However, we do need to adress DE. KVB could be cut, and both Avril and Jackson are FAs. I dont see Avril coming back, and Jackson isnt starting material. I think Willie Young could be a good starter, but we need to sign someone and draft someone, IMO.

Otherwise, I think we need a guard to replace Peterman. He is a real weak link on the O-line. Ive been pleased with Raiola's play this year, but much like we got Backus' replacement, we need his replacement. Gotta look long-term there.

Lastly, it is unfortunate both our starting LBs are FAs, because I doubt we keep both. Levy has been great this year, so I hope we keep him. This could be an area to look at for the 1st round if there is one available as a BPA type pick. I would LOVE to get Te'o here, and depending on how FA goes, I wouldnt be opposed to trading up.
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: