Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Things I Think I Know Part II
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patdt13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
According to my wife the only thing I know is that I want a sandwich after sex.

Post of the year IMO.

Xbox Live GT: With The Tide
phinmun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdt13 wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

Post of the year IMO.

There's a Subway-Have it Your Way joke that's brewing here... Laughing

I'm not calling her any names...

...but you can! Wink
phinmun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fasel1515 wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:
The people who hate on Sean Smith to me seem to be grasping at something that isn't there.

"He doesn't shut people down." Wait, weren't we praising him the whole first 4 weeks for excellent play? ESPECIALLY against Larry Fitzgerald and A.J. Green who are top 5 receivers. Which CB on the Dolphins had two interceptions while covering Larry Fitzgerald? Which CB on the Dolphins covered both players nearly every play and allowed a combined 1 touchdown on a perfectly thrown pass and catch by one of the leagues top QB/WR tandems...no shame in that.

"He doesn't shadow number 1 receivers." Watch the games, read first hand accounts of reporters, watch game film, and try again.

Sean Smith is not soft. Is he Antoine Winfield? No. But if you look at the top 15 CB in the league (a conversation Smith belongs in) who is better at playing their man off the line and playing PHYSICALLY in a jam? Richard Sherman is about the only guy I can come up with.

fasel, I hate calling you out but there wasn't a whole lot of truth in that post.

I'm not hating on him. Is he a solid option at CB? Yes. Is he "one step from elite"? No.

He does not shut people down. What do you qualify as shutting someone down? I would say shutting people down you need to have 2 out of the following 3 >50 yards, 0 TD's, and less then 3 catches. That is not really a set number but more of a semi-qualifier.

You provided 2 examples in the Cardinals and Bengals games. Fitzgerald had 8 catches for 64 yards and a Td. Green had 9 receptions for 65 yards and a TD. Do you really call that shutting down?

Your counter-argument to this could be but ooo Sean Smith wasn't on them for the entire game thus it is not his fault. I.E. Fitz TD slant against Carroll. And I would concede this, but that ruins the fact that you say that he shadows the opposing #1 the entire game. Not to mention the fact Smith got smoked for the tying TD going up against Andre Roberts in that game.

Again we are having trouble agreeing on what these arbitrary terms mean. In my opinion he does not shadow #1 WR's because he is not matched up against them everywhere they go. I'm not asking him to be left on an island against the #1 just that if you say he shadows them then they damn well should be his assignment when they are both in the game.

You point out that he had 2 INT against Fitz. Well, those are his only 2 interceptions all year and he has a multitude of opportunities to have had more. 30 other CB's have had 2 INT this year so while it is a personal improvement for Smith it is not really that impressive.

I would say he is slightly above average. Certainly not elite. He is a lot better in man coverage as you pointed out and has improved his tackling. He is still not exceptional in that regard though. He has definitely been worth the 2nd round pick but is he going to be worth the huge contract he is going to want next year? Doubtful.

In my view these are both really cogent arguments. It's hard not to feel persuaded by both. I tip my cap to both of you because there are good points on each of these sides, I think. It's a really interesting topic just for the difference of opinion.

Can I say something though? Sean Smith is being forced into being our primary CB. Folks say we have a RCB and a LCB but the truth is everyone wants to feel like they have something special on one side and I think we all believe we do. Plus, Smith is going to ask to get paid serious money this off-season so we need to feel confident about handing him money and longevity.

Can we agree that Sean Smith is being thrust into the spotlight more this season?

Can we agree that he's being forced to cover more of the opponents best WRs?

Can we agree he might need time to adjust to this level of demand but that if he does it'll mean we really do have a special secondary?

Carroll and Wilson are doing a great job filling in. We lost Vontae, just lost Vontae's replacement and we're still solid in the secondary. To me, that means we must be in decent shape.

I kind of agree with Merc about the fact we're arguing about a solid player to the point we're driving each other away from the idea he's our best CB. There's no need to paint him inaccurately to win an argument and I'm not saying anyone's doing that. I would prefer him not be the Lightning Rod 2.0 though! Laughing

I kind of prefer this guy stick around.
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
patdt13 wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

Post of the year IMO.

There's a Subway-Have it Your Way joke that's brewing here... Laughing

I'm not calling her any names...

...but you can! Wink

Jared?

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
bpastermack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

IF she actually goes and makes you a sandwich after sex you have yourself a keeper there. LOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: