Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Josh Norman
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
from PFF

Quote:
With starting corner Chris Gamble lost to IR weeks ago, the responsibility of covering the opposition’s wideouts has been left to Josh Norman and Captain Munnerlyn. Norman as started every game this year for the Panthers and has performed admirably for a rookie drafted in the fifth round. The 35 receptions he’s given up are tied for 14th-most among cornerbacks, but he’s been making quarterbacks work for it — the longest reception he’s surrendered this year was a 29-yarder in Week 2 (note by zithers, this was when he slipped while covering marques colston). Munnerlyn has been solid on the outside, but he really shines in nickel packages when he moves into the slot. When covering the slot receiver, he gives up a reception once in every 14.7 plays, tops among corners with at least 100 coverage snaps in the slot. Forced into significant playing time for the first time in Week 5, nickel corner Josh Thomas has done well, allowing just 48 yards on the 13 balls thrown his way.

That's quality information. Makes me really appreciate what the CBs have done this year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjkilla wrote:
Zithers wrote:
from PFF

Quote:
With starting corner Chris Gamble lost to IR weeks ago, the responsibility of covering the opposition’s wideouts has been left to Josh Norman and Captain Munnerlyn. Norman as started every game this year for the Panthers and has performed admirably for a rookie drafted in the fifth round. The 35 receptions he’s given up are tied for 14th-most among cornerbacks, but he’s been making quarterbacks work for it — the longest reception he’s surrendered this year was a 29-yarder in Week 2 (note by zithers, this was when he slipped while covering marques colston). Munnerlyn has been solid on the outside, but he really shines in nickel packages when he moves into the slot. When covering the slot receiver, he gives up a reception once in every 14.7 plays, tops among corners with at least 100 coverage snaps in the slot. Forced into significant playing time for the first time in Week 5, nickel corner Josh Thomas has done well, allowing just 48 yards on the 13 balls thrown his way.

numbers don't lie bruh

You're right. What I read there was, only 13 CBs have given up more passes than Norman, meaning, he's not good, and not capable of being a starter.

So you figure there's 64 Starting CBs in the league, and 50 of them have given up fewer catches than Norman.

Just putting the numbers into perspective for all the Norman Lovers who have blinders up.

But i'll get thrashed for making these comments about him. Here it comes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
rjkilla wrote:
Zithers wrote:
from PFF

Quote:

numbers don't lie bruh

You're right. What I read there was, only 13 CBs have given up more passes than Norman, meaning, he's not good, and not capable of being a starter.

So you figure there's 64 Starting CBs in the league, and 50 of them have given up fewer catches than Norman.

Just putting the numbers into perspective for all the Norman Lovers who have blinders up.

But i'll get thrashed for making these comments about him. Here it comes.

you forgot to mention the longest reception he's given up was 29 yards. how many of the 50 corners that are better than him can say that? also this is comparing a 5th round rookie to every other starting corner in the league. when measured against other rookie corners he's consistently on the top of that list even tho he's being compared to high round picks on other teams a la barron, gilmore etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to say captain and butler allowed 70 yarders last year.

norman is a good tackler and keeps the receiver in front of him if he catches it. his only game that made me think "wow he is playing awful" was the giants game but ya know... we were rolling coverage over to cruz and playing 10 yards off of a 6'5 receiver. i don't think gamble could have even succeeded in that position.

he held his own on vjax and colston (who have both been tearing it up lately). and for the past four weeks our defense has been lights out all around. not saying he's a candidate for DROTY but i think he could develop into our #1 when gamble leaves.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my problem with all of this, everybody thinks that he's good because he was drafted in the 5th round and he's exceeding expectations of a 5th round CB.

I don't really care where a guy is drafted, I look at his performance on the field and judge that. Again I don't expect him to be Revis Island because he is a Rookie AND a 5th rounder, which is why it is IMO he shouldn't even be starting, so yes he has work to do but all things considered if he were a veteran or a 1st round pick, we would be talking about how much he sucks right now, instead of singing his praises.

It's all perspective.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kid doesn't quit does he?

Norman is averaging letting up 4.4 receptions a game, and nothing over 29 yards? Wow. Didn't know that meant he was getting burned all the time. He has a pick on the longest attempt against him I think.

He also picked off the two point conversion. Almost had an RG3 pass too.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
This kid doesn't quit does he?

Norman is averaging letting up 4.4 receptions a game, and nothing over 29 yards? Wow. Didn't know that meant he was getting burned all the time. He has a pick on the longest attempt against him I think.

He also picked off the two point conversion. Almost had an RG3 pass too.

I do quit because there's no point in trying to point out what everyone else in the league believes about Josh Norman to you guys in this section of the Forum. I know we're all Panthers fans but I remain objective about the performance of the players, I don't get hard ons for them and think they're awesome when they really just suck or if they're mediocre at best.

Yall are talking like Norman is the next Darelle Revis or some crap, it's really pathetic.

The reality is, we have our new Richard Marshall.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more i look at his stats the more impressed i am with his strong play lately. i was hyper critical of norman early on but like i said. the numbers don't lie. 4 catches given up a game? none over 30 yards? 1 td allowed all year? gimme that every sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
That's my problem with all of this, everybody thinks that he's good because he was drafted in the 5th round and he's exceeding expectations of a 5th round CB.

I don't really care where a guy is drafted, I look at his performance on the field and judge that. Again I don't expect him to be Revis Island because he is a Rookie AND a 5th rounder, which is why it is IMO he shouldn't even be starting, so yes he has work to do but all things considered if he were a veteran or a 1st round pick, we would be talking about how much he sucks right now, instead of singing his praises.

It's all perspective.

Maybe he isn't good enough to start. But he certainly hasn't been a detriment to this team outside of the New York game (and nobody on our team played remotely well that game).

He's been good enough to allow the pass rush to get there is all that matters to me. And he has more pass deflections and just as many interceptions as Claiborne does to this point with more of an impact in the run game.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow did any of you just see the 30 yard pass play he gave up to Demarius Thomas? What was he even doing on that play, seriously? (Roughly 2:30 to go in the 1st Qtr for those that want to go back and look). It was like Thomas had a 5 yard force field around him and Norman got zapped for trying to enter it.

This is what i'm talking about it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a pretty bad play for both him and godfrey.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
Wow did any of you just see the 30 yard pass play he gave up to Demarius Thomas? What was he even doing on that play, seriously? (Roughly 2:30 to go in the 1st Qtr for those that want to go back and look). It was like Thomas had a 5 yard force field around him and Norman got zapped for trying to enter it.

This is what i'm talking about it.
Wow, did you bother to listen to the commentary on that play? It was Godfrey's responsibility. Keep digging, though.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: