Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Time to Give Jonte Green Some Credit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
He had 3 bad plays. The PI, the Lynch run and the Turbin catch where they were at their own goal line.

Overall, not a bad game.

According to Laim's PFF numbers he only gave up one catch, and that was to Tate, so I don't know what Turbin catch you're talking about.

That Lynch run is on the entire defense, can't blame Jonte for that one.
Wasn't soley blaming Jonte for the Lynch run, but he did kind of suck on that play Laughing

And I'm not sure if Turbin was his guy on the play but Delmas was yelling something to him and he lifted his arms like "huh?" and Turbin ran right to the sideline and caught the ball. Jonte was the only guy left on that side of the field and I doubt we would really leave one side with 0 defenders.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
He had 3 bad plays. The PI, the Lynch run and the Turbin catch where they were at their own goal line.

Overall, not a bad game.

According to Laim's PFF numbers he only gave up one catch, and that was to Tate, so I don't know what Turbin catch you're talking about.

Wasn't soley blaming Jonte for the Lynch run, but he did kind of suck on that play Laughing

And I'm not sure if Turbin was his guy on the play but Delmas was yelling something to him and he lifted his arms like "huh?" and Turbin ran right to the sideline and caught the ball. Jonte was the only guy left on that side of the field and I doubt we would really leave one side with 0 defenders.

If you want to blame somebody on the Lynch run, blame Durant. He should not have been blocked so easily by a wideout and should have filled earlier.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieYoungSon wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Overall, not a bad game.

If you want to blame somebody on the Lynch run, blame Durant. He should not have been blocked so easily by a wideout and should have filled earlier.
I'm not really blaming it solely on him, but the whole left side of the defense has to share blame. I agree about Durant though.

He had a good game but those 3 plays kept it from being a great game. Definitely better than the previous games though.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're now three starts into Green's career. Are more and more people starting to like what they see?

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
So we're now three starts into Green's career. Are more and more people starting to like what they see?
Still waiting until the end of the season. I'm not about to get Phonzo'ed again.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Still waiting until the end of the season. I'm not about to get Phonzo'ed again.

Concur but he is looking better overall.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
DrRay11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

Concur but he is looking better overall.

Definitely. Doesn't seem the gambler that Alphonso is (and we always knew he was), and comes up on completed passes VERY quickly. I like what I've seen the past couple/few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green may develop into a nice addition in our secondary. I believe that Bently will as well. Who knows about Greenwood but a lot of people seem high on him.

I need more than just a few games to get really pumped about this guy. I am getting more hopeful each game. He'll still make mistakes and make me pull out my hair at times but I'm not completely depressed when he is playing anymore.

Green, Bently, and Greenwood could make a good #3, #4, and #5 CBs for us. Bently could be a #2.

We still need a true #1 and hopefully Houston will stick around for a couple more years.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solid game from Jonte. He gave up 6 receptions on 7 passes, but 0 YAC and he had that INT.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
Another solid game from Jonte. He gave up 6 receptions on 7 passes, but 0 YAC and he had that INT.

And those 6 completions went for about what, 22 yards? Gabbert only attempted about two passes beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Of course you're going to give up some completions when the ball is getting thrown 1.5 seconds after the snap.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Laimbrane wrote:

And those 6 completions went for about what, 22 yards? Gabbert only attempted about two passes beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. Of course you're going to give up some completions when the ball is getting thrown 1.5 seconds after the snap.

Especially when our corners are 7 yards in front of the LoS.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does Jonte deserve credit, but I honestly believe that Mayhew deserves a lot of credit. No, I'm not saying this to incite anyone... it's truly incredible what he has done, considering how things have developed.

Mayhew was shredded for not "addressing" the CB position (despite adding three draft picks), and the circumstances have been brutal: a starter was released, the pass-rush has been average, and a slew of contributors have been injured. Yet Jonte Green, a 6th round pick who many thought shouldn't be on the roster, has been solid.

The Broyles pick was ripped apart based on "needs", yet here we are: Burleson is out for the year, and Young hasn't emerged. We were suddenly in need of a playmaker at the position, and Broyles is looking like a quality option.

Mayhew stuck to his draft philosophy, and it's paying off so far. Considering how criticized his decisions were, I'd say he deserves a large amount of credit at this point.

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Not only does Jonte deserve credit, but I honestly believe that Mayhew deserves a lot of credit. No, I'm not saying this to incite anyone... it's truly incredible what he has done, considering how things have developed.

Mayhew was shredded for not "addressing" the CB position (despite adding three draft picks), and the circumstances have been brutal: a starter was released, the pass-rush has been average, and a slew of contributors have been injured. Yet Jonte Green, a 6th round pick who many thought shouldn't be on the roster, has been solid.

The Broyles pick was ripped apart based on "needs", yet here we are: Burleson is out for the year, and Young hasn't emerged. We were suddenly in need of a playmaker at the position, and Broyles is looking like a quality option.

Mayhew stuck to his draft philosophy, and it's paying off so far. Considering how criticized his decisions were, I'd say he deserves a large amount of credit at this point.

I have to agree.

Prior to the season we were all totally freaked about the secondary and frankly when you look at the injuries, constant rotation of players the secondary has been the biggest surprise on the team so far. They are playing significantly better than I thought they would.

As for Broyles, the pick certainly surprised me but I was and continue to be excited he's part of the Lions. Being an OU fan (insert homer here) I saw what he did for the Sooners and also saw how his absence negatively impacted the team. He is a very special player and Lion fans will really appreciate his talent once he is totally worked into the play book.

As for Mayhew fans are far to impatient and seem to expect every player has to be a home run. As the talent level increases it becomes harder to have drafts that provide immediate impact on the team. For the first time in many years the Lions have some depth at key positions and are much better able to handle injuries to key players.

Mayhew isn't focused on immediacy rather he's building an organization designed to be successful over the long term. He can't do that by reaching or selecting players that don't fit what he's trying to build.

I've been a fan since the Dead Sea was only sick and while I certainly share in everyone's frustrations this organization has given me more reason to be hopeful than any other in the past 45 years.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
DrRay11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

I have to agree.

Prior to the season we were all totally freaked about the secondary and frankly when you look at the injuries, constant rotation of players the secondary has been the biggest surprise on the team so far. They are playing significantly better than I thought they would.

As for Broyles, the pick certainly surprised me but I was and continue to be excited he's part of the Lions. Being an OU fan (insert homer here) I saw what he did for the Sooners and also saw how his absence negatively impacted the team. He is a very special player and Lion fans will really appreciate his talent once he is totally worked into the play book.

As for Mayhew fans are far to impatient and seem to expect every player has to be a home run. As the talent level increases it becomes harder to have drafts that provide immediate impact on the team. For the first time in many years the Lions have some depth at key positions and are much better able to handle injuries to key players.

Mayhew isn't focused on immediacy rather he's building an organization designed to be successful over the long term. He can't do that by reaching or selecting players that don't fit what he's trying to build.

I've been a fan since the Dead Sea was only sick and while I certainly share in everyone's frustrations this organization has given me more reason to be hopeful than any other in the past 45 years.

Well said.

I, for one, will continue to build my ideal drafts with BPA philosophy. It's just what good teams do. I know the Lions fans are in a hurry, and maybe think the window won't be open long due to our history, but I firmly believe this team is being built the right way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: