Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT: Week 9 Detroit Lions @ Jacksonville Jaguars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
ahoda wrote:
You're probably right since I don't ever watch them. I've never liked anything about Gabbert dating back to his college days. Him and Ponder just made me scratch my head when they were drafted.

I expected Gabbert to be picked early since everyone projected him in the first round. Ponder, on the other hand, most people had in the 3rd or 4th round, which would have been a fine place to pick him and see if he can't develop into a starter. And that's about the way he's playing--he's doing about as well as Colt McCoy or Trent Edwards.

diehardlionfan wrote:
I'm glad it's not my decision.

As fans we tend to doubt everything about other teams. Gabbert is never going to be a top five QB and I expect they knew that when they drafted him.

In reality how many times does a team go deep per game?

QB's are dependant on play calling and receivers ability. Gabbert is no different. He doesn't have high grade weapons and those he does have are having trouble holding the ball.

As for Blackmon I don't think it's a waste of his talent. Most of his receptions in college were quick outs and slants.

What's interesting is he's played 23 games, is 23 years old and so many are ready to move him out.

I think it's to early for final judgements.

I find it hard to believe the Jags would have traded up to draft a QB 10th overall if they didn't think he had the potential to develop into a top-five QB. To help him on that end, they not only drafted Justin Blackmon with their latest first round pick, but they threw a bunch of money on Laurent Robinson in free agency, and re-signed Mike Thomas to a pretty sizable deal as well. They're obviously trying to make him work.

As for his age/experience, well, obviously he's going to finish out the year, so he'll have 31 starts until his belt by the time the year is over. If he doesn't show significant improvement in the second half of the season, the Jags are going to finish with a top five draft pick and they will find themselves in prime position to draft Geno Smith or Matt Barkley. Do you really think it's too soon to give up on Gabbert? He's shown very little that would lead me to believe he can be an adequate quarterback, much less a truly effective one. If I were a Jags fan, then yeah, I'd want them to go ahead and pull the plug.

I really don't know what they think. They are investing draft picks and some money trying to give Gabbert some help but as we have seen with some of the players in Detroit development isn't always a straight line and players progress at different rates.

Yes, I do think its to early. If Gabbert isn't the guy then they won't exactly show tremendous improvement next year will they. Bailing on a QB two years into the experiment probably isn't the wisest direction, at least in my opinion.

I think it's quite likely they had a handle on his ceiling when they moved up. I think all GM's hope a QB will be the best but realistically I don't think many of them truly believe a QB is going to be top 5. Each year a handful of QB's are drafted early and it would defy my logic to think all these guys have top 5 potential.

I expect the Jags will probably change the coaching staff and Gabbert will get one more year.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
ahoda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new coaching staff will replace Gabbert first since a new regime always wants their own QB.

I stand by my post earlier in the week: Gabbert is the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24

Jump to: