Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

[UMN]'s Big Money '98 Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
[UMN]


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 13302
Location: Desolation Row
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: [UMN]'s Big Money '98 Mock Reply with quote

SEASON NOTES
1. The Vikings finish with a 5-11 record
2. Wilf decides it is time to spend money on some real coaches and a big FA
3. Leslie Frazier is fired. Brian Billick is hired as HC
4. Billick hires his former DC Mike Nolan as AHC/DC from Atlanta
5. Nolan recommends Norv Turner to Billick as OC
6. Billick brings back Denny Green as the WR coach
7. Billick/Turner dump the 2TE WCO and bring back the 3WR vertical offense from ‘98
8. Nolan dumps the Cover 2 and runs more of a man-press coverage system

RESIGNINGS
RB Matt Asiata - not resigned
FB Jerome Felton - resigned 3 years
WR Jerome Simpson - resigned 1 year
WR Devin Aromashodu - not resigned
OL Phil Loadholt - resigned 5 years
OL Geoff Schwartz - resigned 1 year
OL Joe Berger - not resigned
OL Mark Asper - not resigned
DT Kevin Williams - resigned 3 years
LB Erin Henderson - resigned 3 years
LB Jasper Brinkley - not resigned
LB Marvin Mitchell - not resigned
LB Tyrone McKenzie - not resigned
CB AJ Jefferson - resigned 3 years
CB Marcus Sherels - resigned 3 years
S Jamarca Sanford - resigned 1 year
S Andrew Sendejo - not resigned

OTHER MOVES
WR Michael Jenkins cut
TE John Carlson cut
WR Percy Harvin extended - 5 years
DE Jared Allen extended - 5 years
WR Mike Wallace signed - 5 years

DRAFT
* trade 2nd and 2014 3rd to move up into 1st

1. LB Manti Te’O, Notre Dame
1. WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
3. DT Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
4. OL Xavier Nixon, Florida
4. CB Marc Anthony, California
5. S Daimion Stafford, Nebraska
6. RB Miguel Maysonet, Stony Brook


2013 DEPTH CHART

QB| Christian Ponder | Joe Webb | McLeod Bethel-Thompson
RB| Adrian Peterson | Toby Gerhart | Miguel Maysonet | Jerome Felton
TE| Kyle Rudolph | Rhett Ellison | Allen Reisner
WR| Mike Wallace | Jerome Simpson
WR| Cordarrelle Patterson | Stephen Burton
WR| Percy Harvin | Jarius Wright

LT| Matt Kalil | Charlie Johnson
LG| Demarcus Love / Xavier Nixon
C| John Sullivan
RG| Brandon Fusco
RT| Phil Loadholt | Geoff Schwartz

DE| Jared Allen | Everson Griffen
DT| Letroy Guion / Sylvester Williams | Fred Evans
DT| Kevin Williams | Christian Ballard
DE| Brian Robison | D’Aundre Reed

OLB| Chad Greenway | Larry Dean
MLB| Manti Te’O | Audie Cole
OLB| Erin Henderson | Marvin Mitchell

CB| Chris Cook | Antoine Winfield | Marc Anthony
CB| Josh Robinson | AJ Jefferson | Marcus Sherels (PR)
FS| Mistral Raymond | Jamarca Sanford | Daimion Stafford
SS| Harrison Smith | Robert Blanton

K| Blair Walsh
P| Chris Kluwe
LS| Cullen Loeffler
_________________
From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn,
Plays wasted words, proves to warn,
That he not busy being born is busy dying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3626
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the draft, like the Wallace signing.

Absolutely hate the coaching staff. Billick, Denny Green. Confused
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
[UMN]


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 13302
Location: Desolation Row
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Like the draft, like the Wallace signing.

Absolutely hate the coaching staff. Billick, Denny Green. Confused

Are you kidding? I would love that. The press conferences would be awesome. Laughing
_________________
From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn,
Plays wasted words, proves to warn,
That he not busy being born is busy dying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skywindO2


Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Posts: 14674
Location: Minneapolis, MN
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billick might finally learn Jared Allen's name too.
_________________

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6181
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: [UMN]'s Big Money '98 Mock Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
SEASON NOTES
1. The Vikings finish with a 5-11 record
2. Wilf decides it is time to spend money on some real coaches and a big FA
3. Leslie Frazier is fired. Brian Billick is hired as HC
4. Billick hires his former DC Mike Nolan as AHC/DC from Atlanta
5. Nolan recommends Norv Turner to Billick as OC
6. Billick brings back Denny Green as the WR coach
7. Billick/Turner dump the 2TE WCO and bring back the 3WR vertical offense from ‘98
8. Nolan dumps the Cover 2 and runs more of a man-press coverage system


Both Brian Billick and Dennis Green are part of the Bill Walsh coaching tree. That is, they are both considered to be WCO coaches.

Norv Turner is part of the Air Coryell school. Nothing wrong with that but now you're asking Christian Ponder to learn an entirely new offence.

Defences are usually defined by the alignment of the Front 7 and not the coverage. Nolan is a proponent of the two-gap 3-4 scheme, and I'm not sure how well that's going to work with the personnel the Vikings have at present.

So, even if you could get past the money issues and the issue of convincing a bunch of guys who think they should be HCs to take jobs as assistants, there is the question of how all this fits together.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 23252
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest we forget that the self-proclaimed offensive guru Brian Billick never did build an offense in Baltimore. It took him being fired for them to do so.
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lil Uno


Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 8009
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm praying we can land Norv Turner this offseason. A spread style offense will do this team well. Not a fan of Bellick though.

Can't complain about the draft. Love Te'o, not sold on either of the Vol receivers but I can live with it.
_________________

Maxx Williams For Mackey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
[UMN]


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 13302
Location: Desolation Row
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe people don't like Billick.

I realize the offenses in BAL were never good, but that is what happens when you get stuck with a string of terrible QB's.
_________________
From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn,
Plays wasted words, proves to warn,
That he not busy being born is busy dying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freakout


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 3121
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NT position really worries me. Guion cannot keep his starting position and while I liked Williams dating back to last year isn't he more of a 3-tech?

Though we do dump the Cover-2 in this scenario so I guess it makes sense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 23252
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
I can't believe people don't like Billick.

I realize the offenses in BAL were never good, but that is what happens when you get stuck with a string of terrible QB's.


Billick was overrated as an OC. He owes his HC job to Robert Smith, Cris Carter, Randy Moss, and Jake Reed (as well as Randall McDaniel and the rest of the OL).
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Heavydan85


Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 990
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah give me a different defensive coordinator (someone historically 4-3 but not cover 2) and I could get behind this. I dunno how much we are supposed to have in cap, but maybe another couple average-good free agents to help.
_________________

Thanks to Jgoldiscool for the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Swaps


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 1698
Location: SKOL!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have Marvin Mitchell as "not resigned" but he's in your depth chart.
_________________

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3626
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: [UMN]'s Big Money '98 Mock Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
SEASON NOTES
1. The Vikings finish with a 5-11 record
2. Wilf decides it is time to spend money on some real coaches and a big FA
3. Leslie Frazier is fired. Brian Billick is hired as HC
4. Billick hires his former DC Mike Nolan as AHC/DC from Atlanta
5. Nolan recommends Norv Turner to Billick as OC
6. Billick brings back Denny Green as the WR coach
7. Billick/Turner dump the 2TE WCO and bring back the 3WR vertical offense from ‘98
8. Nolan dumps the Cover 2 and runs more of a man-press coverage system


Both Brian Billick and Dennis Green are part of the Bill Walsh coaching tree. That is, they are both considered to be WCO coaches.

Norv Turner is part of the Air Coryell school. Nothing wrong with that but now you're asking Christian Ponder to learn an entirely new offence.

Defences are usually defined by the alignment of the Front 7 and not the coverage. Nolan is a proponent of the two-gap 3-4 scheme, and I'm not sure how well that's going to work with the personnel the Vikings have at present.

So, even if you could get past the money issues and the issue of convincing a bunch of guys who think they should be HCs to take jobs as assistants, there is the question of how all this fits together.


Nolan seems to be more flexible as a DC, he currently works for the Falcons who run a 4-3.

If the Vikings do go for a new coaching staff, I'd prefer an up and comer over a bunch of rethreads.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sloppy28


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
I'm praying we can land Norv Turner this offseason. A spread style offense will do this team well. Not a fan of Bellick though.

Can't complain about the draft. Love Te'o, not sold on either of the Vol receivers but I can live with it.


I am all for bring in Norv and a new offensive scheme! And for those who wonder if Ponder would be able to adapt to a whole new offense... What if it wasn't all new? I mean the Saints have an Air Coryell/WC hybrid offense don't they? Copy-cat league...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purple Faithful


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 2777
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without a decent DT, your MLB's gonna get hit a bit, not that the golden domer can't take it. Anyway, I assume the Vikes are about done winning, so is there not a premier QB or DT we could get? Fletcher Cox has helped make Demarco Ryans look very good as Cox requires constant doubles. Guion does not....
_________________
Would Wilf please fire Spielman already?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group