Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quarterback Change???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Bullet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I Wouldn't Have Pulled Myself." - Ponder 11/6/12
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver Bullet wrote:
"I Wouldn't Have Pulled Myself." - Ponder 11/6/12

Thats actually a good thing.

Its better than him saying: "I did terrible against a good defense, and I definitally feel like the backup is better than me."

I hope Ponder throws for 300 yards and 2 TDs 0 INTs just so people stay quiet for a week. Thats what I'm hoping for so bad, along with a win. Smile

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cantwin1 wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
this providence wrote:
and it's one that should have been realized when both were drafted.

To be fair, Webb was drafted to be a WR, and the team really, really, really should have stuck with that.

No doubt. Let's not forget that Webb was nearly (should have been) cut before the season because he was playing so bad. Sage out played Webb by a large margin. I would be in favor of cutting Webb now and bringing Sage back. If the Vikes decide they need to make a change at QB I would go with Sage or MBT. Webb at QB does nothing for me as a QB, much like Tebow. Give Ponder the rest of the season and move on if he continues to suck, but there's nobody on the roster who gives me much hope for the future so we should be looking outside of our team be it draft or FA or trade.

And now the Webb-bashing begins.

Let's forget what Joe Webb did on the road against playoff-calibre teams in December, after spending the entire year as 3rd string QB. The real measure of his ability is how he performed in preseason surrounded by a bunch of guys who were never going to make the team.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. ó Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thatís the way to bet. ó Jimmy The Greek
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Cantwin1 wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
this providence wrote:

To be fair, Webb was drafted to be a WR, and the team really, really, really should have stuck with that.

No doubt. Let's not forget that Webb was nearly (should have been) cut before the season because he was playing so bad. Sage out played Webb by a large margin. I would be in favor of cutting Webb now and bringing Sage back. If the Vikes decide they need to make a change at QB I would go with Sage or MBT. Webb at QB does nothing for me as a QB, much like Tebow. Give Ponder the rest of the season and move on if he continues to suck, but there's nobody on the roster who gives me much hope for the future so we should be looking outside of our team be it draft or FA or trade.

And now the Webb-bashing begins.

Let's forget what Joe Webb did on the road against playoff-calibre teams in December, after spending the entire year as 3rd string QB. The real measure of his ability is how he performed in preseason surrounded by a bunch of guys who were never going to make the team.

If true measurement of a player or a team is in the preseason, why even bother having the regular season or postseason?

You think he's a good QB because he was playing well with scrubs? Did you forget he was playing against scrubs too?

Going by your measurements, Tarvaris Jackson and Troy Williamson are great players too, right?

milanb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

If true measurement of a player or a team is in the preseason, why even bother having the regular season or postseason?

You think he's a good QB because he was playing well with scrubs? Did you forget he was playing against scrubs too?

Going by your measurements, Tarvaris Jackson and Troy Williamson are great players too, right?

Not sure what you're arguing. Perhaps you missed the sarcasm in my previous post?

Confused

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

A straw man is a type of argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and to refute it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cantwin1 wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
this providence wrote:

Webb shouldn't have been cut, and the Vikings actually should looking to find ways to use someone who's so talented running with the ball. He's probably the 3rd most dangerous player we have with the ball in his hands.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

Not sure what you're arguing. Perhaps you missed the sarcasm in my previous post?

Confused

so what are you saying then? Based on 3 games, even with a lack of a mental feel for the QB position, Webb's athletic ability makes him a threat, and it feels like the team rallies around him?

If I'm wrong:

strikes again!

I still feel Ponder is the best option going forward this season.

milanb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

so what are you saying then? Based on 3 games, even with a lack of a mental feel for the QB position, Webb's athletic ability makes him a threat, and it feels like the team rallies around him?

All I was saying was: it's absurd to discount what a player has done when the games counted and to form your entire opinion of him on a small number of preseason appearances.

perrynoid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

All I was saying was: it's absurd to discount what a player has done when the games counted and to form your entire opinion of him on a small number of preseason appearances.

All Webb needs is a tutor...like grandpa. Someone to show him the finer points of being an NFL QB.
jam8891

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey New member here and HUGE Vikings fan. Our team isn't doing great right now but I for one do not believe they should switch out Ponder and substitute Joe Webb. This season has already gone midway through and we are 5-4... Who really expected that? I know I didnt. Ponder is definitely struggling right now but you can't expect him not to have trouble at some point during the season. This is his first full year with a training camp. Last year, no training camp and didn't play the entire year. Was just kind of thrown in there. He played very well against the Packers and Bears granted they were losses but at least I was kind of impressed. I knew coming into this year, I was expecting a 3-13 or 4-12 season at best and we are 5-4. with Ponder at QB. Im just not ready to give up on him because he didnt play well against the Colts. Who are 5-4. The Buccaneers. Who had a perfect gameplan against us. The Redskins and RG3 just had his way with our defense. Ponder did not play great early but late, he showed he had some abilities to make nice throws in clutch situations. Granted once again, in a loss but I was impressed. Then Seahawks which just simply outplayed us. Thanks again. Please give feedback
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard jam! Thanks for your input. Please continue to contribute when you can, as we need someone who can put a positive spin on it. Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Gordon Bombay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jam8891 wrote:
Hey New member here and HUGE Vikings fan. Our team isn't doing great right now but I for one do not believe they should switch out Ponder and substitute Joe Webb. This season has already gone midway through and we are 5-4... Who really expected that? I know I didnt. Ponder is definitely struggling right now but you can't expect him not to have trouble at some point during the season. This is his first full year with a training camp. Last year, no training camp and didn't play the entire year. Was just kind of thrown in there. He played very well against the Packers and Bears granted they were losses but at least I was kind of impressed. I knew coming into this year, I was expecting a 3-13 or 4-12 season at best and we are 5-4. with Ponder at QB. Im just not ready to give up on him because he didnt play well against the Colts. Who are 5-4. The Buccaneers. Who had a perfect gameplan against us. The Redskins and RG3 just had his way with our defense. Ponder did not play great early but late, he showed he had some abilities to make nice throws in clutch situations. Granted once again, in a loss but I was impressed. Then Seahawks which just simply outplayed us. Thanks again. Please give feedback

Hey, great first post Jam! I can definitely see both sides of the coin for Ponder. It was definitely nice to see him lead those two minute drives in those early weeks but lately he does not seem capable of doing that lately. Let's hope for him to find it soon and start improving again. One thing is for sure, the team as a whole was all playing better the first few weeks then it has been lately. Whether, Ponder is the cause, or the receivers, or the defense, or the coaching - I can't give you the answer to that. Hopefully we will know more later in the season.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
I'm of the opinion that neither Ponder or Webb will ever be legitimate starters in this league. I believe that's a reasonable assessment at this point and it's one that should have been realized when both were drafted.

As I said before, the Vikings need to ride out the year with Ponder so they can best decide their course of action in the offseason. If he plays the remainder of the year like he's played to this point, there's no excuse for the Vikings to go into next season without a very real option to push for the starting position in 2013; if not outright replace him.

I do agree with this. I'm not sold on webb or ponder but....... I believe webb deserves to start and get a chance just like ponder did. I wanted him to start over mcnabb to see what he could do even though I had no faith in him, just to see what we had. Now I'm saying the same thing give webb his shot. Let's see what we have so we can move forward. Ponder is not the answer so why not give the other guy a shot and see what he has.
VikingsNeverWin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he needs to change his name on the back of his jersey and also in the media to this because how he is playing and as blind as he is it seems so fitting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: