Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st Mock offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: 1st Mock offseason Reply with quote

I havent really done much research yet but watching the Jets this season i feel the three biggest areas of need for the jets are:

1. WR (obviously with santonio probably playing his last game as a jet)
2. RB (There is no explosiveness in the jets backfield)
3. DE/OLB (teams have forever to throw on us unless we blitz like hell)
4. RT (The Jets need to figure something out. Austin Howard has looked terrible at times)
5. OG (Not paramount but an upgrade here would go a long way)

Resigned:
Yeramiah Bell, S- 2 years 5 mil

Cut & Resigned for league minimum 1 year deal:
- Bart Scott (the jets wont bring him back for the money he is making now but i think as long as Rex Ryan is coaching Scott will have a place on the roster)
- Bryan Thomas (no one else will want him but he is still useful defending the run, especially for the league minimum)

Cuts:
- Jason Smith (his career is probably over lol)
- Eric Smith (simply time to move on, he makes some big mistakes)
- Santonio Holmes (not sure about cap hit, but it is time this happend)

Trades:
Jets trade Tim Tebow (QB)--> Arizona Cardinals for 5th round pick (i am sorry boys, but he is not worth anything more. The Cardinals seem to be in QB hell. This is a best case scenario IMO)

Jets trade Dustin Keller (TE)--> Cleveland for Greg Little (WR)... (Keller's days with the Jets should be over. I'm personally a fan of Cumberland and at this point Cleveland seems to be over Greg Little, but the potential is there and the last time the jets traded for a Cleveland WR it turned out pretty well)

Jets trade 1st (15th)--> Atlanta for 1st (29th)+ 2nd (29th)+ 2014 2nd (ATL has shown to be very aggressive in the draft. They look for that 1 superstar and go after him. Could be anyone really at this point still left on the board)

Free Agency: *= simply ballparked these so please dont go cap crazy on me*

- Dwayne Bowe (WR), *5 years 35 mil*
- Jared Cook (TE), *3 years 10 mil*
- Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, 4 years 20 mil (big signing bonus means small cap hit, Jones is done with the Jags and the jets could REALLY use him. Kinda a pipe dream i know)
- Winston Justice (RT), 2 Years 5 mil

NFL Draft: Picks= 1st (29/Atl), 2nd (15), 2nd (29/Atl), 3 (15), 4 (15), 5 (11/Ari), 5(15), 6(15). 7 (15)

1 (29)- Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon....a physical specimen with elite burst and pass-rush skills. This draft is loaded with OLB Talent and with Jordans frame (6'6" 240) he can be that speed rusher. Looks good in run support although can bulk up and has experience playing in space

2 (15)- Jonathon Cooper, OG, UNC.... I have no clue where to rank this guy. I've heard anywhere from mid 1st to late 2nd. I Think the value of Cooper in the 2nd would be irresistible to the Jets.

2 (29) Giovani Bernard, RB, UNC...Two UNC offensive players in the same round but boy'o'boy are they two good ones. I know the jets signed MJD but they have no depth at RB anymore and Benard may come in use when MJD's shelf-life finally ends

3 (15) Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma.... A back up QB to show Mark Sanchez that he has 1 more year to turn things around

4 (15) Mark Jackson, OT, Glenville State.... Small-school guy, jets need to rebuild that off

5 (13) Devonte Holloman, OLB/LB, South Carolina... Not a real pass-rusher 3/4 olb but a solid coverage guy who can also play the run.

5 (15) Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech... helps WR depth

6 (15) D.C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers.... TE depth

7 (15) Marcus Sales, WR, Syracuse.... still more depth

So what's everyone think???
green24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Cumberland is absolutely not a starting TE. I don't understand why everyone wants to trade Keller.

#TeamManfred
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Jeff Cumberland is absolutely not a starting TE. I don't understand why everyone wants to trade Keller.

I agree, but i also have the Jets signing Jared Cook to be the starter. To be honest i think Cook is similar to Keller. And frankly, i am tired of Dustin Keller.... he isn't good
green24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbowlbound wrote:
green24 wrote:

I agree, but i also have the Jets signing Jared Cook to be the starter. To be honest i think Cook is similar to Keller. And frankly, i am tired of Dustin Keller.... he isn't good

I somehow missed that.

Keller is a very good player. He is the best receiving target on the team.

#TeamManfred
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
superbowlbound wrote:
green24 wrote:

I somehow missed that.

That may be true, but there is noone setting the bar very high at all. Keller may be the best of the worst receiving corps in the league but i think cook can be more explosive and i'm simply tired of waiting for Dustin's "potential"
Jets2024

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dion Jordan is not falling to 29...Dont like getting rid of Keller hes the only one who has a consistent connection with Sanchez.
Heymangold

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holmes isn't being cut. Too much money guaranteed. Also, MJD is too expensive for us. And isn't Keller a free agent this offseason?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now first let me say that I am no capologist, but what you are suggesting is impossible due to cap restraints.

Quote:
According to a source with knowledge of NFL cap space, the Jets have nearly $142 million in salary cap commitments in 2013, though $12 million of that total is from the acquired contract of offensive tackle Jason Smith which will void before the 2013 league year officially begins. With the cap expected to remain flat (around $121 million), the Jets may need to free up additional room. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jets-place-santonio-holmes-injured-171050055--nfl.html

So, just going into the season, even with all the expiring contracts, the Jets are 21 million over the cap. So with the cuts you have mentioned the Jets would save:
- Jason Smith = 12 million in savings
- Eric Smith = 3 million in savings
- Santonio Holmes = would save 1.25 million (at the cost of 11.25million in dead money)
- Bart Scott = Cutting would save 7.15 million
- Bryan Thomas = isnt under contract so there is no need to cut him

and the Trades would save:
- Trading Tebow = saving of 1.5 million
- Can't trade Keller due to not being under contract(Unless the Jets franchise & trade of course)

So by cutting all of the above, and trading Tebow, the Jets would end up saving ~24.8 and putting them under the cap by ~3.8 million dollars. Then on top of all of that you haven't even considered the contracts that are expiring. So the Jets will be losing:
-Both starting safeties(Bell and Landry)
-Starting DT (Devito)
-Starting TE (Keller)
-Starting RB (Greene)
-Starting RG(Moore)
-Starting K (Folk)
-Multiple other depth players (Only true players of note would be Aaron Maybin and Chaz Schillens)

Now you would have about 3.8mil to replace the all the starters that are either getting cut or have expiring contracts. And just to give a little bit of perspective in terms of how much some of these players will cost, just resigning Bell and Scott at the contracts you listed, would leave the Jets with $500,000 to spend elsewhere (Bell being ~2.5mil and Scott being ~0.9 mil at the minimum). Then on top of that you want to sign $75 million dollars in contracts, I am sorry, but I don't think it will be going as you have planned.

And before anyone jumps on me and says that they are not in that bad of a shape, I know that all the numbers are much more complicated than that. And I am sure there will be some way for the Jets to squiggle way out of it without losing all those players, but when you look at the numbers, you cant deny that it should be at the very least a little concerning.

Everything I have listed, numbers wise, is from: http://nyjetscap.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the gain from trading Keller an signing Cook to what would have to be a substantial deal.

In the NFL, continuity trumps what would only be a modest gain in talent. If this were Madden, I'd say do it; but in real life, relationships matter.

This has gone unnoticed thus far, but I love getting Landry Jones in the third. He has a chance. He's definitely not a given, but he has a chance.
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
I don't see the gain from trading Keller an signing Cook to what would have to be a substantial deal.

In the NFL, continuity trumps what would only be a modest gain in talent. If this were Madden, I'd say do it; but in real life, relationships matter.

This has gone unnoticed thus far, but I love getting Landry Jones in the third. He has a chance. He's definitely not a given, but he has a chance.

as for the Keller thing, i simply feel the jets will think its time to part ways.... i think they are frustrated with him and will try to simply find another TE threat. Yes, its a modest gain in talent but camaraderie means little to me, especially when that player isnt performing and has never lived up to expectations
JetFanSince85

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With custs I think we end up at like 100mm. Scott Pace Thomas and Smith.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
superbowlbound wrote:
green24 wrote:

I somehow missed that.

Keller is a good reciever we all know that, but hes one dimensional and he honestly realizes he'd be better off career wise somewhere else with a better QB. Hes going to be a free agent so we wont be trading him but i do see him leaving and going somewhere else. I like some of your signings and your draft. Jones drew could be a likely fit but hes going to demand a bigger deal and more guaranteed money that we dont have if we want to bring in Bowe. In my eyes he makes our offense immediately better so i would go for it. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Barner as well.

Statement moves this offseason

Cut- Greene, Scott, Pace, holmes (via trade), tebow (trade or cut i dont care), J smith

Sanchez restructure, (explore trade but unlikely)

Fire Terry Bradway

Fire Tannebaum

its time to rebuild and get rid of the old and crap players on this team.
patman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keller is a FA and can not be traded
The jets right now at at 140 mill in 2013 cap dollars, you save 32 mill from cutting Pace, Scott, Eric Smith and Jason Smith. that leaves you with
9 mill for a 121 mill 2113 cap.
5 mill goes to the rookies, so you have 4 mill left over.
No one but the jets wanted Holmes for a 5th rd pick when he was making 1 mill a year. Why does anyone think a team will trade for him when he now makes 10X of that, with 2013 guaranteed?
Same with Tebow, Khan was intrigued, but after he seen the media circus in NY regarding him, does anyone think he still feels the same way.

please check out

http://www.nyjetscap.com/future.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: