Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Delanie Walker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Delanie Walker Reply with quote

Chiefs fan here guys...
I wanted to get opinions on Delanie Walker. Being an outsider, my impression is probably pretty obvious to you guys : main impact is as a solid pass and run blocker with minimal impact as a receiver.

What I would like to know is, do you view his blocking as top-tier or a bit overrated or does he make a big impact to justify the lack of impact as a receiver?

What is his value to your team? Is he one of the team leaders? Do you guys think he will be re-signed or hit the free agent market?

As a Chiefs fan I am interested in potential free agents that are blue collar veterans who could bring a hard-nosed, workmanlike presence on the field and potential veteran leadership in the lockerroom.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
MaddenCity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talented, but one thing that stands out the most to me is he often drops wide open/easy passes....
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delanie could be a #1 on a bad team. He's athletic enough to make plays, if he's targetted often, but he's very frustrating with the drops. He will probably always have these infuriating drops. Maybe if he did get more opportunities, he'd start making up for it with big plays, but he's not the reliable guy you usually want as a TE. As far as his blocking goes... I see him as a great role blocker. I don't think he'd look very good as an every down inline blocker. He's smaller than the usual inline blocker. He's great when he gets a little head of steam. Line him up as a H-Back, or as an offset TE, and he can wham with the best of them, or he can throw a great edge-sealing block. If we actually ran more than 4 screen plays per year, Delanie would probably be a good guy to have in front of a RB. Delanie's strengths are really his athleticism and mostly his VERSATILITY! He can play everywhere on the offense (I wouldn't even mind seeing him run a reverse, one of these days), and he can also return kickoffs. But I don't think he should ever be confined to a specific role, or else he'd lose any edge he has. If a team can be creative enough to utilize him and throw him the ball aplenty, he would make plays. But a team seeking to improve and strengthen its roster will always be looking to upgrade upon him.

Will we re-sign him? It depends what the market will be for TEs. It will depend whether he wants to get a shot at being an underwhelming #1 or stay here and remain an overwhelming role player. My ideal scenario would be us finding a better #2 TE and keeping Delanie as #3 TE/H-Back/FB/WR/Decoy/Special Teamer (coverage)/Emergency Kick Returner.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
o_0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Delanie could be a #1 on a bad team. He's athletic enough to make plays, if he's targetted often, but he's very frustrating with the drops. He will probably always have these infuriating drops. Maybe if he did get more opportunities, he'd start making up for it with big plays, but he's not the reliable guy you usually want as a TE. As far as his blocking goes... I see him as a great role blocker. I don't think he'd look very good as an every down inline blocker. He's smaller than the usual inline blocker. He's great when he gets a little head of steam. Line him up as a H-Back, or as an offset TE, and he can wham with the best of them, or he can throw a great edge-sealing block. If we actually ran more than 4 screen plays per year, Delanie would probably be a good guy to have in front of a RB. Delanie's strengths are really his athleticism and mostly his VERSATILITY! He can play everywhere on the offense (I wouldn't even mind seeing him run a reverse, one of these days), and he can also return kickoffs. But I don't think he should ever be confined to a specific role, or else he'd lose any edge he has. If a team can be creative enough to utilize him and throw him the ball aplenty, he would make plays. But a team seeking to improve and strengthen its roster will always be looking to upgrade upon him.

Will we re-sign him? It depends what the market will be for TEs. It will depend whether he wants to get a shot at being an underwhelming #1 or stay here and remain an overwhelming role player. My ideal scenario would be us finding a better #2 TE and keeping Delanie as #3 TE/H-Back/FB/WR/Decoy/Special Teamer (coverage)/Emergency Kick Returner.

Ya, basically what he said..... Laughing

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome feedback guys. Very good info. I was thinking the exact same thing - to use him in a variety of roles. We really lack of fullback/H-Back, and I don't count Peyton Hills. We have Tony Meaki at tight end, who I hope can rebound from the ACL which I think he is still getting fully recovered from. I see Walker as a solid #2 tight end to be used also as a fullback and H-back.

He might not really be interested in coming here as his role would likely be the same as in SF.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
mrscottso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to sign him for what he brings to the running game alone. But he is a threat as a receiver as well. Yes he drops passes, but he makes some really nice plays too. All in all I hope that he is still Niner next year too.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Awesome feedback guys. Very good info. I was thinking the exact same thing - to use him in a variety of roles. We really lack of fullback/H-Back, and I don't count Peyton Hills. We have Tony Meaki at tight end, who I hope can rebound from the ACL which I think he is still getting fully recovered from. I see Walker as a solid #2 tight end to be used also as a fullback and H-back.

He might not really be interested in coming here as his role would likely be the same as in SF.

You never know. He did go to CMSU so he has some ties to the KC area. I'm sure if the dollar amount is right he would be there in a heartbeat. I hope we keep him an actually utilize him a bit more but thats b\c i have a vested interest in him.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
FG21_PW52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He came out of college as a WR so the skillset is there. Its just that with Vernon Davis as your #1 TE, plus Moss, Crabtree, Manningham, Gore, Hunter, etc. its hard for him to get touches. But his blocking has vastly improved over the years, he's looked great this year. But his hands are suspect as of late...

janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: