Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How is everyone feeling about Freeman now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramblinbuc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: How is everyone feeling about Freeman now? Reply with quote

Freeman Lovers and Freeman Haters, what is everyone thinking about his performance right now. Do you want to keep him around, let him walk, draft a backup plan?

There was alot of talk about free especially after the first few games. I know we have several to go, but as far as the halfway point, what is everyone thinking about free?

Pros?

Cons?

#iwastoldtherewouldbedefense #underthequotaformariota
mfw096

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see him keep his level of play up and improve more while the season goes on. Then I will make my decision.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfw096 wrote:
I would like to see him keep his level of play up and improve more while the season goes on. Then I will make my decision.

Same. He needs to keep this level up and still needs improvement in the short to intermediate passes. Also want to see how he does against the falcons.

Better understanding at the end of the season. Bringing us back into the wildcard picture only wins points Smile
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could he really be playing any better right now? His projected stats over a 16 game season right now are 4,094 yards - 32 tds - 10 ints. His completion percentage is a little low but it should be expected with the amount of deep balls that are being thrown.

NFL is only a 16 game regular season. Baseball, basketball, hockey all play 4+x more games during their regular season so football is more prone to having story lines change from week to week. At team has a brutal loss or loses a few in a row, the next thing you know the world is coming to an end. And maybe is should be like that considering each game means a little more seeing as there are less games to turn things around.

Thing is with Freeman though he was playing at a pretty low level for more that just the start of the season. The year before was pretty dreadful. Brutal play calling, bad coaching, no top notch talent around him are all reasons why he maybe wasn't playing up to the level most of us thought he should be.

This offense seems to fit him perfect, maybe a bootleg or two more should/could be called but the routes, the running game, the weapons are all coming together over the last month like nothing us Bucs fans have seen before.

I couldn't be happier with his play!

Mike Evans 49 - 841 - 8
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked like an awful 3rd string high school quarterback the first few weeks, and has looked like an all-pro the last few weeks. More time is needed to evaluate him, but right now he's balling at an awesome level.

I still remember the game where he was 3/16 for 30ish yards by the time the game was technically over and he got some garbage time yards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is some catastrophic injury before the end of the season, I would hope Freeman gets a significant contract extension. I believe it would be counter productive to spend a high draft pick on another QB in this upcoming draft.

Also, a quick history lesson shows this organization hasn't been the greatest at projecting the level of play of its young, struggling QBs. I can remember three off the top of my head, I wish there was a do over:

-Doug Williams
-Steve Young
-Vinny Testaverde

One could argue that Freeman has achieved as much or even more success at this stage of his career then the three I mentioned above in their fourth year. I'm not guaranteeing similiar success, but I don't want to find out with Freeman wearing another uniform over the next several years.
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

That's how I feel. We have to lock him up this off-season.

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Buccaneer4life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like we have to lock him up after the season. Theres no way we can let him go. Ive always been a Freeman supporter. He finally seems like he is comfortable in an offense and is making great decisions. Hes the face of the franchise you have to lock him up.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
Very Happy

That's how I feel. We have to lock him up this off-season.

Call me crazy, but there is still 8 games, plus, he hasn't exactly put together consistantly good back to back seasons. IDK, to me, that is what's concerning when it comes to long term deals.

I love how Freeman has played these past 4 games, but I remember quite exactly, the 1st qtr of the season, where many wanted, including my self, him benched.

The reasonable answer: Discuss this at seasons end. I want to see his performances against the Falcons and how he handles the pressure down the stretch, as we're in contention. But right now, I love the way he's playing and think he can improve and continue to play this way consistantly, then at the end of the season, no doubt you begin negotiations.
indifference

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Freeman distaste was a tad premature. He started off playing like a pile of crap but as everyone can see he has done a compete 180. Still a ton of football to be played so lets see if he can ride this confidence out throughout the season. If Tampa can finish strong and maybe go 5-3 over the next 8; slight chance at a playoff birth. The the Eagles is going to be a big one and has playoff implications. Back to Free though, I'm happy with how he has played. The biggest knock on him was that he doesn't play good against good defenses. He took care of the Vikings, although not a sharp outing he played well against a quality(winning opposition) and has 4 more chances to build upon that against San Diego, Denver, and Atlanta twice.
Soul Glo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was confident in him prior to season, and his play of late has really backed me up. Those who said he sucked the first quarter of the season are overexagerating: he was atrocious against the Cowboys and had a sloppy first half against the Skins, but he managed the Carolina game extremely well and I was impressed against the Giants. Not saying he has not been a lot better of late, but he had one bad game and everyone who was calling for his head after week three was just being stupid TBH.

He's still gotta a lot of little things to work on. He'll let a ball get away from him at times, he'll staredown a receiver, he'll miss a easy win. But I'm loving his poise and leadership this season. His pocket prescence, footwork, and mobility has been A LOT better these past few weeks. An he just rockets balls between defenders. His deep ball is as good as anybody's.

He needs to keep it up, but if he does.... he'll be signing a big fat extension this summer.
ravishingone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there really is a belief that Freeman will turn back into the QB he was against Dallas on a full-time basis you are either 1) hater (which certainly you are entitled) or 2) you want to be critical with giving no regard that the real world isn't Madden. Basically, a QB who has to learn a third different offensive scheme with new terminology in four years is going to have a learning curve.

Well, he needs to be more accurate. Let's see, this year, he is at 56 % completion. Do I believe he can complete 4 more passes additionally for every 100 he throws over the next decade? Yes.

For perspective Eli Manning's first 3 years completion percentage in pretty much the same offense - 53 %, 58 % and 56 %.

It makes little sense for the Glazers not to sign him long-term in the offseason if he doesn't get significantly injured. Josh Freeman is not Bruce Gradowski or Shaun King. He is on pace to throw 25 TD passes or more for the second time in three years. That is talent not an aberration.

Freeman, Martin, Jackson, and Williams that is one ridiculously good offensive core. I know being a long-time Bucs fan, I'm not used to fantastic offenses. I'm used to offenses led by the truly unforgettable QBs - Steve Spurrier, Jack "The Throwin Samoan" Thompson, Joe Ferguson, Jerry Golsteyn, Chris Chandler, Eric Zeier, John Reaves, and Gary Huff. That is one pitiful list. Shocked

Enjoy the ride, we have the QB under center to keep this offense in the top 10 of production for a long time.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^do I think he'll go back to playing like he did against Dallas? No. But I didn't think he'd have a year like 2011 after 2010 either. All I'm saying is wait til the end of the year to discuss this.

He's only 24 and I do agree. He seems to be following the same path of Rli Manning in year 3/4. But I need to see him perform in big games against elite teams and how he fairs as well.

He's on a roll right now and i love it. but to me Atlanta is a huge game for him. That is an elite team. I'm hoping freeman continues this play and progresses because then we can exhale and have that elite franchise qb because he has that potential.
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
^^do I think he'll go back to playing like he did against Dallas? No. But I didn't think he'd have a year like 2011 after 2010 either. All I'm saying is wait til the end of the year to discuss this.

He's only 24 and I do agree. He seems to be following the same path of Rli Manning in year 3/4. But I need to see him perform in big games against elite teams and how he fairs as well.

He's on a roll right now and i love it. but to me Atlanta is a huge game for him. That is an elite team. I'm hoping freeman continues this play and progresses because then we can exhale and have that elite franchise qb because he has that potential.

Discuss what? An extension? He's 24 years old and he's coming up on the last year of his deal. Oh yeah, and he's playing great too. It's a natural discussion to have. You can have reservations about him, that's fine, but this very discussion is happening at OBP. You better believe that.

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have to give him one of those beastly quarterback career contracts, so we better be negotiating right now, ongoing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: