Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bernard Pierce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayvens4sb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Bernard Pierce Reply with quote

So far this season, Bernard Pierce has looked fantastic and has been a great asset to give Rice a breather once in a while. Do you guys think that he will become greater than that? Maybe even start in the NFL someday? Of course, as long as Rice stays healthy, he won't be starting for us, but I think he could become a starting quality back.
bmore4life815

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him a whole lot. We've been lucky to have some solid complements to Ray as of late (I was really high on Ricky last year).

Future quality starter at the position? Eh... too early to say for sure, but I'm not quite seeing it. He's always struck me as a change-of-pace guy. His short-area burst and vision are good, but I'm not sure if he's above-average in too many other facets. His durability is certainly something to be skeptical of as well.

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
dcarey20

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, he's obviously going to finish out his rookie contract with us at least. My prediction (and this is a very hard thing to predict because we don't know what other teams think of players) is that he'll finish out his rookie deal with us, we will either re-sign him to continue his role as Rice's backup, OR another team signs him to be in a slightly larger role, but still a platoon with someone else.

I think in order for a team to instill faith in him as "the guy", he's going to have to have a a few huge games where he is the #1. And in order for that to happen Ray Rice is going to have to get hurt and be out for an extended period of time. We've seen it happen with a guy like Michael Turner though, and you can bet that there are many teams that are licking their chops if/when Ben Tate leaves the Texans.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love what we've gotten from him, and I hope we see more of him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it (actually I don't) but I called this. Smile

I absolutely LOVED this pick... Was probably my favorite pick of the draft tbh. I love his explosiveness and running style. He's definitely a future starter... And I think you have to look no further than he Ravens. Rice will be on the decline after another 3/4 years as he approaches 30. I think by then Pierce is emerging as the guy and Rice becomes his backup/ they're doing a MJD/Fred Taylor type thing.

I can't see us "letting" Pierce, a more than capable runner walk. I think you keep him and then as Rice retires or "loses it" you get another backup for Pierce and continue that process.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Hate to say it (actually I don't) but I called this. Smile

I absolutely LOVED this pick... Was probably my favorite pick of the draft tbh. I love his explosiveness and running style. He's definitely a future starter... And I think you have to look no further than he Ravens. Rice will be on the decline after another 3/4 years as he approaches 30. I think by then Pierce is emerging as the guy and Rice becomes his backup/ they're doing a MJD/Fred Taylor type thing.

I can't see us "letting" Pierce, a more than capable runner walk. I think you keep him and then as Rice retires or "loses it" you get another backup for Pierce and continue that process.

This is what I was saying. I could definitely see Rice re-upping after ~ year 4 of his deal and finishing his career here splitting carries and catching balls.

Specifically as it relates to Pierce, I love his burst and style as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been pointed out, Ray Rice probably only has another four years or so as a top RB, so if Pierce can prove himself in that time, then perhaps he could take over in that role.

However, we still don't know how durable Pierce is, and how well he'd be able to cope with a workload of 20+ carries a game. Not all RBs can stand up to the rigors of that.

Where he might find a starting role, away from the Ravens, would be a pass first offense that uses effective running to set up their passing offense. Ten or fifteen carries a game, and catching a few passes out of the backfield.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: