Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Predict Spags Top 5...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Predict Spags Top 5... Reply with quote

Spags Short List: Top 5

Ok, here’s the objective… Predict who you believe would be the top 5 prospects on Spags board right now.

I’ll go first

1. Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia

While some may point to the fact that Jones has been extremely successful in college as a 34 outside edge rusher and therefore his best fit would be in that same role in the pros. I disagree, do to Jones’s leaner looking frame, elite speed and athletic ability I feel Jones can be successful in any defensive scheme in the NFL. The Georgia Bulldog defender is simply the best defensive playmaker in the draft and if he clears medically would likely be the #1 prospect on Spags board come draft day.

2. Sam Montgomery RDE Louisiana State

Bjoren Werner is widely considered the top defensive end available in this year’s draft but there are questions about whether he’s a right end or left. To me I feel Spags might prefer Montgomery’s skill set over Werner’s for his scheme. I know this is personally opinion but I feel if the Saints were to pick an end this upcoming draft and had to choose between Montgomery and Werner… Montgomery would be the pick.

3. Star Lotulelei NT/DT Utah

There are a few quality defensive tackles in this draft but as a fit in Spags scheme, for me it’s Lotolelei. Akiem Hicks is developing into a very disruptive inside playmaker but the Saints are still lacking someone inside to plug up the running lanes. Brodrick Bunkley has been a disappointment thus far this season and Lotulelei has the potential to develop into a Haloti Ngata type of difference maker.

4. Bjoren Werner RDE Florida State

While I might be of the opinion that Montgomery is a better fit than Werner, I still recognize the immense potential of the Florida State Seminole. Werner decreased his body weight down to 255 lbs this season to be better conditioned for the college game but his typical playing weight is usually around the 270-275lb range. Werner would be better off in the NFL getting back to this physical makeup to better hold up in the NFL game. While Werner possesses an elite burst off the line he typically utilizes his raw power and strength to overwhelm offensive tackles. This has caused a debate among NFL scouts about which side of the defensive line Werner fits best. Normally in a 43 front Werner would play on the left side but in New Orleans because of Cam Jordan’s similar makeup as far as size and power and Werner’s elite burst and pass rushing potential the Big German would undoubtedly play mostly on the right side for Spags.

5. Dee Milliner CB Alabama

To me, Milliner is the guy who kind of gets lost in the shuffle when we talk about potential Saints 1st round picks. The Saints have holes all over their defensive unit and while Patrick Robinson flashes promise, I have my doubts about him ever developing into an ace cover corner for the Saints. Milliner possesses great size, speed and physicality for the corner position. He has all the makings of a #1 corner for an NFL franchise and would allow Robinson to be the #2 corner where expectations for him would be more accurately placed on him.

Honorable Mention: Manti Te’o MLB Notre Dame

Curtis Lofton is arguably our best defender right now. Depending on who you listen to some feel he’s a middle linebacker only and if that the case there might not be a spot for Te’o on this roster. Spags seems to believe that Lofton would excel on the strong side and if he still believes this and the Saints truly go by the “best player available” mantra then I find it to be a likely scenario that we could be cheering for a Lofton, Te’o & Hawthorne linebacking core next season.

So… What’s your prediction for Spags top 5?

WHODAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
wow_junky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we switch to a 3-4 I'd like to see us take Te'o, him and Lofton would really compliment each other I think!

I'm not sold on either of LSU's DEs, I think both will bust...!
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Jarvis Jones
2. Bjoern Werner
3. Star Lotulelei
4. Damontre Moore
5. Johnathan Hankins

HM: Sam Montgomery

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
1. Jarvis Jones
2. Bjoern Werner
3. Star Lotulelei
4. Damontre Moore
5. Johnathan Hankins

Flood... if we go on a lil run here and fall into picks say 15-25 we might have to rethink out top five based on the realistic fact that our current ones won't be available. Sad

If this happens, my top 5 would likley look like this...

1. Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri: (Very disruptive inside pass rusher)
2. Louis Nix NT Notre Dame (Could be the next Vince Wilfork)
3. Tank Carradine DE Florida State (Justin Tuck clone)
4. Matt Elam SS Florida (Elam has offically moved up to my #1 safety)
5. Jonathan Banks CB Mississippi State (Quality cover coner, can't have enough)

HM: Shariff Floyd DT Florida (Similar to Richardson)

What about you?

Porter22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:
1. Jarvis Jones
2. Bjoern Werner
3. Star Lotulelei
4. Damontre Moore
5. Johnathan Hankins

Flood... if we go on a lil run here and fall into picks say 15-25 we might have to rethink out top five based on the realistic fact that our current ones won't be available. Sad

If this happens, my top 5 would likley look like this...

1. Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri: (Very disruptive inside pass rusher)
2. Louis Nix NT Notre Dame (Could be the next Vince Wilfork)
3. Tank Carradine DE Florida State (Justin Tuck clone)
4. Matt Elam SS Florida (Elam has offically moved up to my #1 safety)
5. Jonathan Banks CB Mississippi State (Quality cover coner, can't have enough)

HM: Shariff Floyd DT Florida (Similar to Richardson)

What about you?
You really wanna draft a DT right? Very Happy

I don't see us giving up on Bunkley after one year and we could use Jordan more as a UT. That would leave us with only 2 defensive ends (I expect them to not retain Smith and McBride) in Galette and Wilson. Bring in a free agent like Johnson or Osi and draft a starting caliber DE. I'd love to trade up for Werner who would be perfekt in the Justin Tuck position or stay at our pick and draft someone like Carradine.
But to be honest, finally I hope we go BPA. If a DT like Hankins or Loluteili drop for whatever reason we have to draft him. Same for Te'o and any other defensive star!
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You really wanna draft a DT right? Very Happy

Here's my thinking on that...

1. Spags rotates his defensive lineman almost constantly.
2. While Ellis has been a bust, Spags will need to replace him in the rotation.
3. Hicks is developing but makes mistakes as often as he does plays.
4. A better inside pass rush would open up the outside edge rushers.
5. More beef in the middle on running downs and goalline situations.
6. DT position might be where the value is mid to late round one.
7. I see Saints landing a veteran pass rusher in free agency... Avril, Johnson or Umenyiora.

For these reasons I could very well see the Saints go DT in round one but it would most likley be a disruptive penterating type with good size. Players like Sheldon Richardson, Sharrif Floyd & Sylvester Williams would all fit that role and provide good size at 300lb+ to defened the run.

My feeling is Ellis will be allowed to walk but his position will be filled by Hicks, then Hicks's rotational spot could be where this DT would fall. Think about it... As bad as Ellis as been, he still plays as much as Hicks and Bunkley if not more. That the way Spags rotates his lineman and that won't change. Like it or not, DT will be a position of need come draft time and the back end of round one will be loaded with talent at the position and if were picking BPA it could very well be an interior defensive lineman.

It all starts in the trenches baby!

You'd be suprised how good Smith and Jordan would look if this defense had consistant interior pressure!

Porter22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but I'd like to see Jordan playing more at DT and bring in a true pass rusher via draft AND free agency. Jordan was great coming from the UT position or from the de position in a 34!
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
Yeah but I'd like to see Jordan playing more at DT and bring in a true pass rusher via draft AND free agency. Jordan was great coming from the UT position or from the de position in a 34!

Jordans development was hindered by playing so much at UT in his first season. Spot duty and situational football... Yes but his place is at LE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: