Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Michael Crabtree
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
Until our QB's name is something other than Alex Smith, we won't see too much out of any one receiver, on a consistent basis, other than Vernon Davis. Now don't take that the wrong way, that's not me bashing Alex, its just me realizing that Harbs realizes that Alex limits his offense, so we don't go deep too often. But Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, LMJ, Hunter ... all those guys will thrive once Moss, Gore, and Alex are gone. I like Alex, but I know his limitations, and the restraints Harbs has on him.

Anyway, Alex and Crabs have good chemistry and we're starting to see it more. I'd like to see a few more 100 yard games out of him. We all know he can ball, its just up to the gameplan and Alex to make it happen.

Cool

or ... Harbs prefers to run this type of offense.

I'm not sure tbh, Harbs has shown that he wants to open it up sometimes. Games where we've came out trying to pass is a good example, but we found out that it didn't work out with Alex. Last week it definitely looked like he dummed down the passing part of the offense and it worked in Alex's favor.

There's no doubt that Harbaugh loves the run game, but he knows how dangerous we can be with a good passing game too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
Until our QB's name is something other than Alex Smith, we won't see too much out of any one receiver, on a consistent basis, other than Vernon Davis. Now don't take that the wrong way, that's not me bashing Alex, its just me realizing that Harbs realizes that Alex limits his offense, so we don't go deep too often. But Crabtree, Manningham, Jenkins, LMJ, Hunter ... all those guys will thrive once Moss, Gore, and Alex are gone. I like Alex, but I know his limitations, and the restraints Harbs has on him.

Anyway, Alex and Crabs have good chemistry and we're starting to see it more. I'd like to see a few more 100 yard games out of him. We all know he can ball, its just up to the gameplan and Alex to make it happen.

Cool

because he knows Alex's limits. Don't kid yourself into thinking its something other than because if we had an "elite" QB I strongly believe Harbs would call about 35-40 passing plays a game.

Have you ever considered perhaps Manning chose Denver over us BECAUSE Harbaugh told him he wouldn't be throwing 35-40 times a game? Harbaugh has played the same kind of ball everywhere he's been, both as a player and a coach. Our offense reflects Harbaugh's desires more than it reflects Alex's limitations. It just so happens that Alex's game suits Harbaugh's gameplan better than Singletary's, or Martz's or Jim Hostler's.

Back to Manning... really, think about it: why would he choose Denver over us? Better OL? No. Better receivers? No. Better running backs? No. Better defense? No. Better head coach? No. Better weather? No. Opportunity to run an offense his way? Yes. There. That's the reason he picked Denver. Because Harbaugh wouldn't offer him the chance to run his offense.

Yeah, if I was Peyton and I could choose either SF or Denver, I think I would take the job where I would basically run the offense over the job where I might be lucky to have 20 dropbacks a game. But Peyton knew that which still makes me wonder why we even flirted with him...

I still think there was some agent play in the story. He probably got more from Denver just because we were in the mix. And in turn, Alex got one million more on his offer, so the agent made his two clients more money, and got a bigger cut himself.

But don't kid yourself, if Peyton had signed with us (at a discount, because we didn't have 20 millions to spend on him), he wouldn't have thrown 40 times a game, elite or not.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
4evera9er

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:

Cool

because he knows Alex's limits. Don't kid yourself into thinking its something other than because if we had an "elite" QB I strongly believe Harbs would call about 35-40 passing plays a game.

Have you ever considered perhaps Manning chose Denver over us BECAUSE Harbaugh told him he wouldn't be throwing 35-40 times a game? Harbaugh has played the same kind of ball everywhere he's been, both as a player and a coach. Our offense reflects Harbaugh's desires more than it reflects Alex's limitations. It just so happens that Alex's game suits Harbaugh's gameplan better than Singletary's, or Martz's or Jim Hostler's.

Back to Manning... really, think about it: why would he choose Denver over us? Better OL? No. Better receivers? No. Better running backs? No. Better defense? No. Better head coach? No. Better weather? No. Opportunity to run an offense his way? Yes. There. That's the reason he picked Denver. Because Harbaugh wouldn't offer him the chance to run his offense.

Yeah, if I was Peyton and I could choose either SF or Denver, I think I would take the job where I would basically run the offense over the job where I might be lucky to have 20 dropbacks a game. But Peyton knew that which still makes me wonder why we even flirted with him...

Don't you remember? We were just "evaluating' him Laughing
sbrown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harbs utilizes the strength in his teams. When gerhart was at Standford, he ran, when luck was there he threw. WE flirted with peyton, and we didnt up the price. thats a silly notion. what does it benefit to up the price for titans or broncos? It was said over and over that there is a secret team, AND that the structure is already in place, its just some minor details to be ironed out when we were still ACTIVELY in pursuit of him. we were DEFINITELY interested. And if peyton were here we WOULD be throwing it more. our passing game with Alex is dumbed down a bit, any person watching the game see's that. however it is still cloaked with great route combos and the threat of a dynamic passing game. but still even in the mist of Mondays game, all but two of alex's completions were within 10 yds of the LOS. it is designed that way to aid the QB. that is a coaches job to make each player better. this offense caters to alex to make him better. Harbs is doing his job. And alex has gotten better because of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
harbs utilizes the strength in his teams. When gerhart was at Standford, he ran, when luck was there he threw. WE flirted with peyton, and we didnt up the price. thats a silly notion. what does it benefit to up the price for titans or broncos? It was said over and over that there is a secret team, AND that the structure is already in place, its just some minor details to be ironed out when we were still ACTIVELY in pursuit of him. we were DEFINITELY interested. And if peyton were here we WOULD be throwing it more. our passing game with Alex is dumbed down a bit, any person watching the game see's that. however it is still cloaked with great route combos and the threat of a dynamic passing game. but still even in the mist of Mondays game, all but two of alex's completions were within 10 yds of the LOS. it is designed that way to aid the QB. that is a coaches job to make each player better. this offense caters to alex to make him better. Harbs is doing his job. And alex has gotten better because of it.

This is pretty much how I feel in a nutshell lol.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:

Cool

It's really impossible for you to believe otherwise? His brother's been in game a lot longer and runs exactly the same kind of offense. Is it because his QB is "limited" too. No coincidence there you think between the two brothers having QBs that execute the offense the same way. You're saying they'd really rather do it differently, but their QBs won't allow them to. And neither has made any move to change his QB. But that can't be because they are running the exact offense they choose to run?

As for teh "don't kid yourself part", perhaps you might take a look at when Jim actually did have an "elite" QB. Luck was often described as the most elite QB since John Elway. And what kind of offense did Jim run then? Just about the same offense. Here's a stat that should floor you, given your belief he'd do it differently if only his qb was good enough. In b oth 2010, and 2011 the Stanford offense had a larger percentage of running plays than we do, and smaller percentage of passing plays than we do. That should put the "he'd do it differently if only his QB was good enough" argument to rest.

I don't know what it's going to take for people to start believing Harbaugh is doing exactly what he wants to do with this offense. Just heard an announcer on tv just this week saying that it's much more important for a QB not to make bad plays than to make good plays, and that a bad play or two is more likely to cost a game than a great play or two is likely to win one. And Alex threw interceptions last year at rate almost never seen before in the history of the NFL. And people not only don't appreciate it, they even suggest in various ways that we should be taking more risks with the ball. Or ever, as here, that we would be taking more risks with the ball if only our QB wasn't so "limited". Your thoughts on this and mine are all speculation, but everything I've seen and observed from Jim over the years - including as a QB and his UM heritage, and how he used his "elite" QB, and everything he's ever said about Alex convinces me he's doing exactly what he wants with this offense. Maybe another QB could exectue it even better, but I seriously doubt he's looking for a QB so that he can change his offensive style.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:

Cool

It's really impossible for you to believe otherwise? His brother's been in game a lot longer and runs exactly the same kind of offense. Is it because his QB is "limited" too. No coincidence there you think between the two brothers having QBs that execute the offense the same way. You're saying they'd really rather do it differently, but their QBs won't allow them to. And neither has made any move to change his QB. But that can't be because they are running the exact offense they choose to run?

As for teh "don't kid yourself part", perhaps you might take a look at when Jim actually did have an "elite" QB. Luck was often described as the most elite QB since John Elway. And what kind of offense did Jim run then? Just about the same offense. Here's a stat that should floor you, given your belief he'd do it differently if only his qb was good enough. In b oth 2010, and 2011 the Stanford offense had a larger percentage of running plays than we do, and smaller percentage of passing plays than we do. That should put the "he'd do it differently if only his QB was good enough" argument to rest.

I don't know what it's going to take for people to start believing Harbaugh is doing exactly what he wants to do with this offense. Just heard an announcer on tv just this week saying that it's much more important for a QB not to make bad plays than to make good plays, and that a bad play or two is more likely to cost a game than a great play or two is likely to win one. And Alex threw interceptions last year at rate almost never seen before in the history of the NFL. And people not only don't appreciate it, they even suggest in various ways that we should be taking more risks with the ball. Or ever, as here, that we would be taking more risks with the ball if only our QB wasn't so "limited". Your thoughts on this and mine are all speculation, but everything I've seen and observed from Jim over the years - including as a QB and his UM heritage, and how he used his "elite" QB, and everything he's ever said about Alex convinces me he's doing exactly what he wants with this offense. Maybe another QB could exectue it even better, but I seriously doubt he's looking for a QB so that he can change his offensive style.

But yet now in B-More, they are relying on Flacco to win games so I do believe that John realizes he has an "elite" QB. So now, he is running a more modern type of offense.

And with the last part about, its not so much the amount of plays, but the play types. Sure Harbaugh ran the same offense at Stanford, but he had more deep passing plays because he knew Luck could execute. In SF, we run a lot of patterns that are shorter than 10 yards. Alex throws short, then hopes that his playmakers can turn that into some YAC. I'm sure it was a lot of the same at Stanford, but there were more deep passes, period. And now that we have the weapons necessary to go deep, we should be doing it a lot more. But I wonder why we don't ...
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:

Cool

But yet now in B-More, they are relying on Flacco to win games so I do believe that John realizes he has an "elite" QB. So now, he is running a more modern type of offense.

And with the last part about, its not so much the amount of plays, but the play types. Sure Harbaugh ran the same offense at Stanford, but he had more deep passing plays because he knew Luck could execute. In SF, we run a lot of patterns that are shorter than 10 yards. Alex throws short, then hopes that his playmakers can turn that into some YAC. I'm sure it was a lot of the same at Stanford, but there were more deep passes, period. And now that we have the weapons necessary to go deep, we should be doing it a lot more. But I wonder why we don't ...

A characteristic of that wonderful offense the late great Bill Walsh designed! Cool
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

Our run offense and Stanford's are identical, and the both worked really well. However, our pass offense and theirs is not as similar. And even it were, what worked with Stanford isn't working here. Playing teams in the NFL isn't the same as playing PAC-12 defenses. Harbaugh showed that he wanted to evolve his offense when we came out guns blazing at times, but it didn't work because Alex wouldn't pull the trigger, so Harbaugh scraped it. He had to dumb down the offense once more, and it worked for Alex. You have to constantly evolve your offense in the NFL, and it seems like that's what Harbaugh wants to do.

I think he's content with the run game, because it's working well. Now, I don't know Harbaugh personally, but he seems like a guy who doesn't want to simplify anything. And that's what he had to do the 2nd half of the Seahawk's game and the Cardinal game, he had to dumb it down, and Alex succeeded. There's nothing wrong with that, because it works with Alex. I just don't think it's what Harbaugh truly wants to run on the passing end of the game.

Harbaugh is tailoring this offense to Alex's strengths because that's what a good coach does, but it doesn't mean he likes doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:

Good response. Just curious ... do you know of a website that shows the percentage of passes a team throws short, intermediate and long. I know I've seen something like that before, but don't remember where.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

Harbaugh is tailoring this offense to Alex's strengths because that's what a good coach does, but it doesn't mean he likes doing it.

Well, unless we both get inside his head we won't know that. But we do have some actions that suggest his thinking. When he first took over he looked at a ton of film. And after all that he picked Alex to be his QB and sounded quite happy to be doing so. Then last season when Alex was a free agent, and so were other QBs with other kinds of skills, we went out and signed Alex, and all Jim ever said was that Alex was the guy he always wanted. It IS possible that he's tailoring his QBs skillset to the offense he wants to run, and not the other way around. Isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

Well, unless we both get inside his head we won't know that. But we do have some actions that suggest his thinking. When he first took over he looked at a ton of film. And after all that he picked Alex to be his QB and sounded quite happy to be doing so. Then last season when Alex was a free agent, and so were other QBs with other kinds of skills, we went out and signed Alex, and all Jim ever said was that Alex was the guy he always wanted. It IS possible that he's tailoring his QBs skillset to the offense he wants to run, and not the other way around. Isn't it?

I thought I was in his head, until he said "Gobble, gobble, jive turkey, gobble", then I was convinced I'm not sure what's going on in his mind.

In regards to him picking Alex. Jim also decided to go after Manning, who has a completely different skill set than Alex. People can say whatever they want, but my opinion will be that he wanted Peyton first. Harbaugh didn't fly out to throw balls with Randy Moss, or go to NY to hand the ball off to Jacobs. He went out of his way to go evaluate Manning, which showed that there was genuine interest there. They quietly put on a full court press to get Manning, and wanted to show him how serious he was. It's like when he gave Alex the playbook his first year, just assuming that Alex will re-sign with the team. Small acts of confidence will speak volumes.

Yes of course it is possible that he's tailoring his QB's skill set to the offense he wants to run, just like it's possible to have it the other way around. That's what makes this forum thing fun, none of us truly know, but it's fun to speculate. Smile
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:

Good response. Just curious ... do you know of a website that shows the percentage of passes a team throws short, intermediate and long. I know I've seen something like that before, but don't remember where.

It might be the website that J-All-Day uses to get his CB stats, they seem pretty detailed.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

I thought I was in his head, until he said "Gobble, gobble, jive turkey, gobble", then I was convinced I'm not sure what's going on in his mind.

In regards to him picking Alex. Jim also decided to go after Manning, who has a completely different skill set than Alex. People can say whatever they want, but my opinion will be that he wanted Peyton first. Harbaugh didn't fly out to throw balls with Randy Moss, or go to NY to hand the ball off to Jacobs. He went out of his way to go evaluate Manning, which showed that there was genuine interest there. They quietly put on a full court press to get Manning, and wanted to show him how serious he was. It's like when he gave Alex the playbook his first year, just assuming that Alex will re-sign with the team. Small acts of confidence will speak volumes.

Yes of course it is possible that he's tailoring his QB's skill set to the offense he wants to run, just like it's possible to have it the other way around. That's what makes this forum thing fun, none of us truly know, but it's fun to speculate. Smile

The Alex discussions have been fun? Discussing Randy Moss has been fun. Discussing Frank Gore over the years has been mostly fun (arguing whether he was a beast or a super beast). Discussing Harbaugh, before his signing, was stressful, but mostly fun. I don't recall discussions about Alex being fun. More like a necessary evil. It's been a nasty-tasting cough syrup.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

The Alex discussions have been fun? Discussing Randy Moss has been fun. Discussing Frank Gore over the years has been mostly fun (arguing whether he was a beast or a super beast). Discussing Harbaugh, before his signing, was stressful, but mostly fun. I don't recall discussions about Alex being fun. More like a necessary evil. It's been a nasty-tasting cough syrup.

Confused That's what I meant. Speculating about what's going to happen to the team or ways we can fix it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: