Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The importance of an offensive Head Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:

I am not sure Turner is going to be an option. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him as OC, but after beating us I wouldn't be shocked if the Chargers go on some miracle run and Turner is redeemed in the eyes of the NFL community. The Kansas City Chiefs - the cure for what ails an opponent! LOL

But what I've been hearing was it'd take not only making the playoffs, but actually winning a game or two to save his job. I really doubt they can do that, and at this point they might need 9-7 to even get a wildcard. I think they will struggle to reach .500.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:

I am not sure Turner is going to be an option. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him as OC, but after beating us I wouldn't be shocked if the Chargers go on some miracle run and Turner is redeemed in the eyes of the NFL community. The Kansas City Chiefs - the cure for what ails an opponent! LOL

But what I've been hearing was it'd take not only making the playoffs, but actually winning a game or two to save his job. I really doubt they can do that, and at this point they might need 9-7 to even get a wildcard. I think they will struggle to reach .500.

Yeah, I was kind of joking based on all of the negative talk before the Kansas City game. There would be a tremendous amount of competition for his services if he was fired. Maybe if we get a GM that is determined to create a solid environment in KC we could get him on board.

Maybe Marc Ross could do just that.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Pioli, hire Holmgren, he hires Reid (HC) and Norv Turner (OC). Bring in a guy like Winston Moss or anyone willing to run an attacking 3-4...

How is that for offense?

Draft a QB with our first round pick, Reid says hey Mike, you gotta keep Dwayne. KC fans smile for change.
footballfan81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Fire Pioli, hire Holmgren, he hires Reid (HC) and Norv Turner (OC). Bring in a guy like Winston Moss or anyone willing to run an attacking 3-4...

How is that for offense?

Draft a QB with our first round pick, Reid says hey Mike, you gotta keep Dwayne. KC fans smile for change.

Because Holmgren did such a fantastic job in Cleveland right? I'd rather keep Pioli than hire Holmgren.

Reid needs a year or two off after the death of his son.

Give me Mike McCoy as Head coach, Norv Turner as offensive coordinator and a GM from the Seahawks or Ravens front office.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footballfan81 wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

How is that for offense?

Because Holmgren did such a fantastic job in Cleveland right? I'd rather keep Pioli than hire Holmgren.

Reid needs a year or two off after the death of his son.

Give me Mike McCoy as Head coach, Norv Turner as offensive coordinator and a GM from the Seahawks or Ravens front office.

I like what Holmgren did to be honest. Their defense is insanely underrated (even without Phil Taylor) and their offense is slowly coming around this year. Yea Weeden isn't the greatest player out there but the fact that Holmgren stresses the qb position shows that he knows what it takes to win in this league. Everyone criticized him for the Josh Morgan pick too, and imo that worked out as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of an Offensive minded coach for one reason above all others and I don't think was mentioned yet in this thread - to groom the rookie QB!
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:0/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
I like the idea of an Offensive minded coach for one reason above all others and I don't think was mentioned yet in this thread - to groom the rookie QB!

That's why you have an OC and a QB coach. Hopefully when the coaching staff is imploded the new GM and HC will interview OC and QB coach candidates that have a track record working with and developing young quarterbacks.

Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:

That's why you have an OC and a QB coach. Hopefully when the coaching staff is imploded the new GM and HC will interview OC and QB coach candidates that have a track record working with and developing young quarterbacks.

This is true.

We have a QB coach and OC now though.. do you think they are getting the best out of Cassel/Quinn/Stanzi?

I guess what I really want is a track record of a HC that gets the most of his QB's similar to a Reid, McCarthy, Harbaugh, or Gruden. I want the big man in charge to be that bigtime QB influence. I just didn't express it very well in my previous post. Smile
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:0/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not necessarily promoting this idea but :

What about Ken Whisenhunt as an OC candidate if he gets fired as HC of the Cardinals?

Ken Whisenhunt Career Bio

Quote:
PRE-ARIZONA COACHING CAREER:
Whisenhunt came to the Cardinals with 10 years of experience as an NFL assistant coach and also played nine seasons in the league as a tight end and H-Back.
Immediately before coming to Arizona, Whisenhunt served six seasons as an assistant on Bill Cowher’s staff with the Pittsburgh Steelers. After three years as tight ends coach, he spent the 2005-07 seasons as Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator and helped the team to a victory over Seattle in Super Bowl XL.
In his first year as coordinator, the Steelers rushing attack improved from 31st to 2nd and the overall offense ranked 16th behind rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger. His second year ended with an NFL title after the Steelers offense averaged 26.8 points per game in the playoffs. Pittsburgh’s 2006 offense ranked 7th overall (9th passing and 10th rushing).
Whisenhunt took over as Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator in 2004 when Mike Mularkey became head coach of the Bills. That was the same year the team drafted Roethlisberger and the rookie QB went on to set an NFL record with wins in his first 13 career starts en route to Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. The next season he became the youngest QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl and finished third in the league in passer rating (98.6).
Whisenhunt joined the Steelers in January of 2001 as tight ends coach when Mularkey was elevated from that position to offensive coordinator. He previously coached at the pro level with the New York Jets (tight ends, 2000), Cleveland Browns (special teams, 1999) and Baltimore Ravens (tight ends, 1997-9Cool. He began his coaching career in the collegiate ranks with Vanderbilt for two seasons (1995-96).

Mikek163

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
I am not necessarily promoting this idea but :

What about Ken Whisenhunt as an OC candidate if he gets fired as HC of the Cardinals?

Ken Whisenhunt Career Bio

Quote:
PRE-ARIZONA COACHING CAREER:
Whisenhunt came to the Cardinals with 10 years of experience as an NFL assistant coach and also played nine seasons in the league as a tight end and H-Back.
Immediately before coming to Arizona, Whisenhunt served six seasons as an assistant on Bill Cowher’s staff with the Pittsburgh Steelers. After three years as tight ends coach, he spent the 2005-07 seasons as Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator and helped the team to a victory over Seattle in Super Bowl XL.
In his first year as coordinator, the Steelers rushing attack improved from 31st to 2nd and the overall offense ranked 16th behind rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger. His second year ended with an NFL title after the Steelers offense averaged 26.8 points per game in the playoffs. Pittsburgh’s 2006 offense ranked 7th overall (9th passing and 10th rushing).
Whisenhunt took over as Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator in 2004 when Mike Mularkey became head coach of the Bills. That was the same year the team drafted Roethlisberger and the rookie QB went on to set an NFL record with wins in his first 13 career starts en route to Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. The next season he became the youngest QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl and finished third in the league in passer rating (98.6).
Whisenhunt joined the Steelers in January of 2001 as tight ends coach when Mularkey was elevated from that position to offensive coordinator. He previously coached at the pro level with the New York Jets (tight ends, 2000), Cleveland Browns (special teams, 1999) and Baltimore Ravens (tight ends, 1997-9Cool. He began his coaching career in the collegiate ranks with Vanderbilt for two seasons (1995-96).

I would love Wisenhunt as our HC to be completely honest. I think he is a great offensive mind and has success everywhere he has went.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Mike I agree that continuity is big, but we don't need a HC to call plays for that. You mentioned Brady and Flacco, but neither has a HC that calls the plays. Brady has actually had several different OCs in his career. Matt Ryan and Roethlisberger have too.

We need to find the best HC possible, and then build a staff for the long term. Have a replacement in house for both coordinators because hopefully we're so successful they do get jobs somewhere else if that's what they want.

This is part of the reason I'd like for us to get Norv as an OC. Chances are this was his last HC job, so his options will be limited. Pair him with a strong and organized coach and a fresh and talented QB and we could easily be set like the Giants are.

I'm pretty sure you nailed this topic with this post. I say we draft Monti Te'O
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Piloi stays and hires McDaniels (the offensive coach). Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

Yes, pookie, that is a great idea - thanks for the legitimate suggestion!

big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Yes, pookie, that is a great idea - thanks for the legitimate suggestion!

I was asking the question of if it could happen, not that anyone would want it too.

Pioli stays, he will reach into his bag of tricks IMO. Hire a NE castoff to join up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISn't McDaniels known as an offensive minded coach.....he can add SOOOO much to the Patriots way...... Laughing

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: