Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bucs trade CB Aqib Talib and 7th round pick to Pats for 4th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VTPatsFan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
The New England Patriots will permanently move Devin McCourty to safety, according to NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000089499/article/talib-pushes-mccourty-to-safety-in-new-england?campaign=Twitter_atl

Is this permanent or just for this season.

Also, this is bad news for Chung.

I don't think it's bad news for Chung, I think it'll be a good thing with a player like DMac back with him to help him be in the right position, or the Pats might start using him more as an in-the-box type, trying to jam TEs.

I mean, I doubt they'll have DMac playing strong. Chung at strong, DMac at free. Shouldn't be too bad.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTPatsFan wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
The New England Patriots will permanently move Devin McCourty to safety, according to NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000089499/article/talib-pushes-mccourty-to-safety-in-new-england?campaign=Twitter_atl

I don't think it's bad news for Chung, I think it'll be a good thing with a player like DMac back with him to help him be in the right position, or the Pats might start using him more as an in-the-box type, trying to jam TEs.

I mean, I doubt they'll have DMac playing strong. Chung at strong, DMac at free. Shouldn't be too bad.

Chung has regressed badly and it wasn't like he was a good cover S anyway.

I rather have Gregory out there at SS.
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called the McCourty to safety move a while ago. Its the right move, he's just as valuable (if not more so) as a cover safety (esp. given the dearth of quality players at that position around the league, in particular here in New England)

Deadpulse on the sig
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the McCourty news is not unexpected, I have trouble using the word "permanent" with regards to BB and position changes. Especially with CB and S where his definitions and uses of each have always been very fluid.

I would expect McCourty to still see some time at CB.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 58 Yards: 812 TDs: 9
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like a plan. Though I'd like to see Lombardi's sources on this. Belichick is typically mum on his plans when it comes to personnel.

Same. I remember there being a report McCourty was moving to S this season.

I still think McCourty will play a lot of CB and when he'll move back next yr at CB if he actually is playing purely S this yr. Since we hopefully get Lester/Elam and have Wilson develop.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think that the "permanent" move is contingent upon Talib finding success at CB and is for 2012 only.

Going forward in 2013 and beyond, they'd be best served to find whatever DB talent they can in free agency/the draft and then line McCourty up accordingly - unless they've identified something in his game which leads them to think he cannot succeed at CB or will make an exceptional safety.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I'd think that the "permanent" move is contingent upon Talib finding success at CB and is for 2012 only.

Going forward in 2013 and beyond, they'd be best served to find whatever DB talent they can in free agency/the draft and then line McCourty up accordingly - unless they've identified something in his game which leads them to think he cannot succeed at CB or will make an exceptional safety.
More likely they just see the writing on the wall that he's the best option they have at safety.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

More likely they just see the writing on the wall that he's the best option they have at safety.

Or that Gregory/Chung have lingering health issues.
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like a plan. Though I'd like to see Lombardi's sources on this. Belichick is typically mum on his plans when it comes to personnel.

Same. I remember there being a report McCourty was moving to S this season.

I still think McCourty will play a lot of CB and when he'll move back next yr at CB if he actually is playing purely S this yr. Since we hopefully get Lester/Elam and have Wilson develop.

I don't think it was ever reported, just speculated. It's been speculated for awhile.

ELRammy
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

I'd agree with that, its nice to know that it doesn't matter where we add talent, McCourty will be able to slot in at either position whether we get an Ed Reed/Kenny Phillips or a Dominique Rodgers Cromartie/Brent Grimes. That is, of course, assuming we do add someone in the defensive backfield, and given how awful our track record has been at addressing the secondary through the draft, I'd really hope that's the plan.

Deadpulse on the sig
TKOhitter8737

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
VTPatsFan wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:

Chung has regressed badly and it wasn't like he was a good cover S anyway.

I rather have Gregory out there at SS.

Someone needs to tell me what the hell Gregory has done. To me he has been a huge bust Chung gets alot of the blame just because i think we expect more . Chung has been bad in coverage, but really that shouldnt be a surprise he has never been good in zone. I just think they are using Chung in a role not suited for him. When he has been good its when he's close to the line.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKOhitter8737 wrote:

Someone needs to tell me what the hell Gregory has done.

As far as I can tell, simply not being Sergio Brown has earned Gregory the description of "not bad"

From what I've seen, he's been every bit as bad in New England as he was in San Diego - which is pretty bad.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
TKOhitter8737 wrote:

As far as I can tell, simply not being Sergio Brown has earned Gregory the description of "not bad"

From what I've seen, he's been every bit as bad in New England as he was in San Diego - which is pretty bad.

If you had to choose between Gregory and Chung at SS, who would you take?

I'd take Gregory.
TKOhitter8737

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[

I'd take Gregory.[/quote]

Chung easily, hes has been bad this year no doubt, but he has shown in the past he can be a very good saftey. How quickly people forget he was the best defensive player in the superbowl.

Last edited by TKOhitter8737 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKOhitter8737 wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
TKOhitter8737 wrote:

I'd take Gregory.

Chung easily hes has been bad this year no doubt, but he has shown in the past he can be a very good saftey.
When?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: