Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I was wrong thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:

- The entire 2009 class. It's funny thinking back because i honestly thought that all of them were going to be good or useful in some way. Just to name a few. I thought Moreno was going to be a good player for a long time, not a star, but a well rounded RB capable of rushing for 1,000 yards and being impactful in the receiving game. I thought Robert Ayers could be an elite OLB or DE. I was on board with the Alphonso Smith trade. I thought he was going to be an elite nickel CB with terrific ball skills. I also thought Darcel McBath would turn into a ball hawking FS. Oh, i also loved Tom Brandstater

I was big fans of Ayers and Mckinley. Thought very highly of both.

I wanted Dareus over Miller.
elliot878

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong about Elway. I had seen superstars come back and try running teams fail too often. Hell stars turned GM's routinely run their franchises into the ground. I was real worried about that here.

Thankfully, I was dead wrong.

I've been wrong on tons of draft picks, who hasn't.

Gave McDaniels too long a leash simply by saying lets see what happens when he gets some players in place. Still think he'll be a good coach at some point somewhere. Who cares if he's cocky.

I too thought McBath would be solid. Guy never really got a chance to see the field though, always hurt.

I'm wrong about a lot.

Bragging time - I was right that PFM would be a Bronco - from the minute he was released by Indy. I was right on my pre-season prediction the SF Giants would win the World Series this year.... 2 predictions that I will brag about until at least 2013. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer Donut, i was pretty happy with the Ayers pick. I have said it before, if anyone saw what he did at the Senior Bowl you would have thought it was a hell of a pick too. Sure, the Senior Bowl isn't the end all be all, but Ayers displayed everything you look for in the position...size, speed, power, pass rush, run stopping, and an array of pass rush moves. Melvin Ingram came close, but since i have posted on this site i have yet to see a prospect top Ayers at the Senior Bowl. The guy was unbelievable and i do not fault McDaniels or the Broncos for taking a shot on him.

To answer Elliot, i was wrong about Elway as well...it actually may have been my biggest miss. When he first came on board i hated the way he was doing things. All the fan insight, then i thought he was going to hire Dennison (not that i hate him), but i thought it was going to be a friendship type of move. I posted some pretty heated stuff on Elway and was COMPLETELY wrong. He has done a great job.

Also, i think it was Elliot and I who were some of the first and few that were on board with Von Miller. I actually made a few mocks with Miller as the pick and how he was an elite player that would thrive even in the 4/3.
dbronx42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another big one I think 95% of us were wrong about. Not giving Brodrick Bunkley a huge contract seems like a very good decision right now. He was a healthy inactive last week for the NFL's worst defense. We blasted Elway for letting him get away. Now it's time to say I was vey wrong about that.

I hated the Robert Ayers pick. Absolutely despised it. The guy offered nothing as a pass rusher, and was just an above average run defender at Tennessee. He got picked in the 1st round based off a good senior bowl performance. But to select a guy that high based on a few solid practices is beyond stupid. ESPECIALLY with no college production to back it up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
To answer Donut, i was pretty happy with the Ayers pick. I have said it before, if anyone saw what he did at the Senior Bowl you would have thought it was a hell of a pick too. Sure, the Senior Bowl isn't the end all be all, but Ayers displayed everything you look for in the position...size, speed, power, pass rush, run stopping, and an array of pass rush moves. Melvin Ingram came close, but since i have posted on this site i have yet to see a prospect top Ayers at the Senior Bowl. The guy was unbelievable and i do not fault McDaniels or the Broncos for taking a shot on him.

I wasn't arguing at all about it. Only DE I've liked more than Ayers as a prospect is Chandler Jones. His issue to me was technique but I thought he could learn and still be a solid rusher extremely good vs run and setting the edge. I didnt like Ingram at all. His arms are way to short and I dont think he'd be able to disengage well.
But I honeslty disliked the rest of the draft outside of McKinley. I wanted them to move up for Raji.
dbronx42 wrote:

I hated the Robert Ayers pick. Absolutely despised it. The guy offered nothing as a pass rusher, and was just an above average run defender at Tennessee. He got picked in the 1st round based off a good senior bowl performance. But to select a guy that high based on a few solid practices is beyond stupid. ESPECIALLY with no college production to back it up.

Lot of athleticism and was above avg versus the run. He showed good hips and all around athletcism to be a complete elephant LBer or a good all around DE. Never was going to be an elite DE.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mile High wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
Oh man...you all are terrible...no more mocking for you all.

Yeah, I agree. I think I've been right about literally every single prediction I have ever made... Laughing

I find out that about 73% of the time that I am right, that I am nearly 86% wrong.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Out of interest do you live in Florida? It always seems you are up to speed with College players from FSU, Miami, Florida etc. Don't know if that is coincidence.

Yep I live in Florida. Same area of Florida the Tebow was from. Shocked Always was a FSU fan too. The last two years I'm not up to speed with guys at all though, I can't bother to watch college football. Instead I just watch 6+ NFL games per week. Very Happy

Speaking of Florida players, Aaron Hernandez was a guy who came out of nowhere for me. I remember him very well in Florida, he made a lot of good plays. But he always just seemed like a smaller Dallas Clark type, a below average athlete with good hands who I didn't take seriously as bigtime prospect. I never particularly considered him a great athlete or anything and I didn't even pay any attention when he was drafted. Yet watching him with the Patriots, the guy is a complete after the catch monster and a fantastic athlete. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

jonnyj20 wrote:
I wanted us to trade the farm to go up and get Alan Branch.

Eh, since he is no longer in Arizona being pigeon holed as a Nose Tackle he's been a good player with Seattle. That's not too bad.

germ-x wrote:
Also, i think it was Elliot and I who were some of the first and few that were on board with Von Miller. I actually made a few mocks with Miller as the pick and how he was an elite player that would thrive even in the 4/3.

I remember that. I think it was a mock of yours that got me to pay attention to Von Miller.

dbronx42 wrote:
That's another big one I think 95% of us were wrong about. Not giving Brodrick Bunkley a huge contract seems like a very good decision right now. He was a healthy inactive last week for the NFL's worst defense. We blasted Elway for letting him get away. Now it's time to say I was vey wrong about that.

I don't remember if I was particularly against not re-signing Bunkley for that amount, but I do remember in the context of a reference to Brandon Mebane I said the contract amount wasn't particularly outrageous or anything for Bunkley. Of course it turns out now that it very much was. I'm glad we didn't spend that kind of money on a player like him.
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:

I fully understand this stance. I still can't help but think that Robert Ayers had the talent to be one hell of a football player. For whatever reason it just doesn't come out on gamedays.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:

I fully understand this stance. I still can't help but think that Robert Ayers had the talent to be one hell of a football player. For whatever reason it just doesn't come out on gamedays.

It would be interesting to know the % difference between 1st rd busts, pre and post combine.

I think since the combine began, more and more emphasis has been placed on short term analysis (Senior Bowl, Combine, etc) than a total body of work.

I'm also curious if any one knows which NFL Teams spend the most on their scouting Departments and which spend the least.
elliot878

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember draft day a couple years ago I was upset in the morning when it became certain that we would draft Von Miller. I was looking too much into need. By the time the pick was actually made that night, I had made peace with it and was looking forward to seeing Von wreak havoc, while I was still worried about our interior.

Once players get drafted by us I give them a chance and think optimistically about them, even if I didn't like them heading into the draft. I use the "well the front office has seen much more of the guy than I have" logic.

The one first rounder in the last few years I remember not liking one bit pre-draft, and remained sour on the pick after his name was called was Robert Ayers. His pass rushing stats were non-existent through four years of college, I think he had like 3 sacks senior year, but made a bunch of play in the backfield his senior year, which was what boosted his stock a ton that year, as well as the senior bowl practices. Anyways my mindset was this, and its one I still hold about prospects: If you're a big time high school prospect (Ayers was) who does nothing for three years, and explodes their senior year - is it because you've finally figured it out? Or is it because the light bulb saying "If I have a nice year I'm going to make a LOT more money" went off in your head? If its the latter, then what happens when you give the guy money? does he stop trying until his contract year?

I like Ayers a lot as a person, but I've never been thrilled with him as a football player, and was never fond of his draft position.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly was wrong about our record. I figured 8-8 or 9-7 tops.

I'm not that surorised by our offense, but our defense has out performed my expectations. Great improvement from our DT's, Moore's development at safety, excellent contributions from our LB's, WW, Trevathan, etc., vast improvement at CB and Von's development into a more rounded LB have all contributed to a pefect storm.

Add in JDR's scheme and it's a vastly improved unit from last year.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've ever been wrong was the time I thought I made a mistake.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
The only time I've ever been wrong was the time I thought I made a mistake.

A Sheldon-esque statement. Laughing

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot people were wrong about John Fox just favouring veterans. Just look at the playing time he has given to our young players from both of his and Elway's draft classes. Nobody can deny that with the Denver Broncos, the best players play and that is a testament to our Head Coach who has no ego whatsoever.

MUFC OK
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
I think a lot people were wrong about John Fox just favouring veterans. Just look at the playing time he has given to our young players from both of his and Elway's draft classes. Nobody can deny that with the Denver Broncos, the best players play and that is a testament to our Head Coach who has no ego whatsoever.
To me there is an argument for this. I still think he shows some favoritism however, there are obvious times where he had no choice because A) The veteran there was putrid and to start him would be asinine or B) The Vet was injured.

Remember now, the only reason Wolfe has started is because of injuries.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: