Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coming out of the BYE week ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Coming out of the BYE week ... Reply with quote

What's going to be the main focus? Hopefully get Rice the ball but you've got three effective pass-catchers with Pitta, Boldin and Torrey Smith - who do you believe stands to get more involved? Clevelands needs to ask this question too - because who is Joe Haden going to follow?

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Haden should and will be shadowing Smith most of the game. He's the biggest threat out of all the receivers Baltimore has and without him the rest of the passing offense is limited to the short/intermediate areas. That not only affects the cohesiveness of the passing game but allows the opposing defense to play more guys closer to the line of scrimmage which usually helps stifle the running game too. They need to run the ball more consistently (not necessarily more) as they get into a lot of trouble with quick 3-and-outs where they passed on every play. The defense can't handle that anymore and the offense needs to step up. Now for a little more on the receiving corp for the Ravens.

The receivers need to be more dependable for the Ravens offense to take off. As it stands now that unit is just too inconsistent, although it's hard to tell whether that's on them or Flacco (disregarding Cameron's scheme for a moment). This is still the best group of receivers the Ravens have probably ever had but on a weekly basis they're frustrating to watch.

Boldin doesn't get separation anymore. Not that he was running away from guys earlier in his career but now it's really noticeable and the routes he's running aren't doing him any favors either. Flacco basically has to force it in to Boldin unless somebody blows a coverage or he finds a soft spot in a zone and that's never going to lead to consistent outings for the former Seminole.

Smith is still a developing receiver. It's no surprise that he doesn't put up good numbers every week and opposing defense seem to be keying in on him too. When all is said and done I think Smith could be the best WR in Ravens' football history (that's not saying much) but they need to add a legitimate threat across from him.

I've been pretty happy with Jacoby Jones on the offensive side thus far. The biggest problem is that they don't utilize a third receiver much. Smith and Boldin both have more than double the offensive snaps that Jones has. Part of that is that they like to use Pitta a lot of the passing game but it's not exactly a new concept to have 3 WRs and a TE involved in the passing game on one play/out of one formation.

Pitta has been decent so far. He seems to be the main safety valve for Flacco and that's a good role for him. It seems like defenses have also been keying in on Pitta. I don't blame them since he's a guy that can keep the chains moving and is one of Flacco's favorite targets when he's under duress (along with Rice).

Dickson has mainly been used as the run-blocking TE so far. Wait for it...

Now he wasn't a huge threat in the passing game but he's definitely not a blocking TE either. His opportunities have been very limited in the passing game. It would be nice to see him a bit more involved although I would prefer to see more 3 WR sets first. And no, not just Pitta splitting out at WR.

That's about it for my mini-rant on Baltimore's receiving corp. Blame it on whoever you like - Cameron, Flacco, or the receivers themselves - but this unit might be one of the most productively inconsistent (that has talent) in the league.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Coming out of the BYE week ... Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
What's going to be the main focus? Hopefully get Rice the ball but you've got three effective pass-catchers with Pitta, Boldin and Torrey Smith - who do you believe stands to get more involved? Clevelands needs to ask this question too - because who is Joe Haden going to follow?

Our offense has been doing this for the past few seasons now. We start out overemphasizing the passing attack- seemingly to make defenses understand that we can beat them passing, only to start running the football a lot more towards the 2nd half of the season after much complaint by the fans and media over not utilizing Rice and the running game enough. It's old hat now... and I'm honestly starting to think it's a planned strategy.

I think the plan coming off the bye will be to emphasize the rushing attack, but trying to run out of more formations. I think we'll see Vonta Leach utilized more on 3rd downs when in shotgun as compared to Rice... his ability to neutralize pass rushers was very intriguing when we ran that set against the Texans... if we're not going to send Rice out... why not let Leach block. Flacco/Leach probably try and build up a rhythm there. I think Bernard Pierce will start being utilized more as well- especially out of running sets. We've proven to be a pretty strong rushing attack this season even when showing our hand... and I think a big part of that has been the upgrade we've seen in run blocking at LG. Ben Grubbs was so weak at the POA in the run game and unless we were pulling him, he wasn't getting a push... and when in conjunction with Birk, really worked to neutralize our ability to run north/south. Now that we've inserted Bobbie Williams and with Ramon Harewood our ability to get push at the POA and get our runners to the 2nd level has improved. So I think we see a much stronger rushing attack moving forward.

Which I think also should serve to open defenses up to a great susceptibility to our play-action run fakes (which Flacco has really improved on) and give Torrey Smith a few more splash play opportunities down the field as teams have to move a safety up into the box and corners covering him slightly bite on our run fakes.

I think we see a little less no-huddle offense to help preserve our defense, I think we save our no-huddle until after our 1st first down play. And when we build a small lead, we may see more variance in our no-huddle speed switching from the slower no-huddle that allows us to keep defenses from substituting as much, but still allow us time to rest our defenders... with the faster paced no-huddle that allows us to take advantage of defensive confusion. I think that's the key adjustment, we'll try and adjust the speed of our attack to keep the defense off balance, but give our defense more time to rest and make proper adjustments.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offense needs balance. They can run enough plays to give Rice the ball and let Flacco throw it, but they need to have the running and passing games complementing and supporting each other, instead of what Cam normally does.

In the running game, it's simple. Give Ray Rice the ball regularly enough to get him in a nice rhythm, sprinkle in Bernard Pierce to change the pace. Keep the ball moving and keep the offense on the field.

In the passing game, I think they really need to focus on short, quick passes. Cleveland don't have a great pass rush, so that gives them a bit of breathing room to try quick slants and crosses, and set up the play action pass with good running.

Like I said last week, start off slowly, don't try to blow Cleveland out of the water with the no-huddle in the first quarter. Just move the chains, and turn the screw, playing quicker as you figure out what's working and what isn't.

On the defensive side of the ball, they need to focus on stopping the run, first and foremost. The players are there, they just need to step up and get the job done, because Haloti Ngata can't do the job all on his own.

If Cody, Kemo, Jones and McPhee continue to suck, then give Bryan Hall and DeAngelo Tyson more snaps. They can't do any worse than the starters have been.

I would also like less emphasis on 'bend don't break'. If you can get off the field quickly, even if you've given up points, it's probably better than having to sustain a 15-play drive by the Browns offense that results in a TD anyway.

Last edited by Mancunian Raven on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main focus:

Give Ray Rice the ball as many times as possible.

Don't let Dean Pees anywhere near the play-calling sheet.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: