Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I was wrong thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbronx42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: I was wrong thread Reply with quote

Was just looking at some old mock drafts I have made throughout the years that were stored on my old computers. Boy some of them were just embarrassingly bad, but some were also really good as well. Anyways it just got me thinking what were some of the mistakes we have all made. Here are a couple of mine -

- I thought Knowshon would be a perennial pro-bowler. Predicted a 1,200 yard rookie season with 10+ TD's

- I wanted Marcel Dareus 100x more than I wanted Von Miller. But that's why you shouldn't draft based on needs. Thanks John Elway for actually knowing that and picking the better player.

- I was wrong in already declaring Rahim Moore a bust after his embarrassing rookie season. He has improved his game A TON. Is a very sure tackler and rarely messes up an assignment in pass coverage. Just waiting to see that ballhawk we saw at UCLA.

- After Eddie Royal's rookie season I thought he would be a top 10 WR the following year. Just ended up being a terrible tease l

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- I wanted Marcell Dareus far more than Von Miller.
- I too declared Moore a huge bust after his rookie season. I dont know if I have ever seen a football player improve so much in one area of their game (This case: Tackling) in just one offseason. Its absoloutley amazing.
- I did not think Peyton would be nearly this good, nearly this quick. I thought he would be a top 15 QB, but he might be the best in the NFL right now.
- I thought Beadles and Walton were going to both be epic busts, especially in the power blocking scheme. I was wrong. Neither are all-pro, but their good enough to hold the position down. The OG and OC positions are not a draft need, and that shows these two are doing a good enough job.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong about McGahee. I wasn't high on him coming here at all but it turns out he has been a great fit and has been highly productive.

I was wrong for giving up on Tony Carter after a few bad plays in preseason. I liked him coming out but after numerous years of not impressing and then having some negative plays this pre-season I pretty much wrote him off as a smart player who lacked the physical talent to play in the league at an accpeptable level. It turns out he can play at a high level.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was wrong for giving up on Tony Carter after a few bad plays in preseason. I liked him coming out but after numerous years of not impressing and then having some negative plays this pre-season I pretty much wrote him off as a smart player who lacked the physical talent to play in the league at an accpeptable level. It turns out he can play at a high level.

I think that Carter may be playing so well that we can think about letting Porter walk this offseason. Not ready to say it yet, since its like a 2 game sample size. But, I would love to use that Porter $$$ to try and snag a game changing Safety.
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
- I wanted Marcell Dareus far more than Von Miller.
- I too declared Moore a huge bust after his rookie season. I dont know if I have ever seen a football player improve so much in one area of their game (This case: Tackling) in just one offseason. Its absoloutley amazing.
- I did not think Peyton would be nearly this good, nearly this quick. I thought he would be a top 15 QB, but he might be the best in the NFL right now.
- I thought Beadles and Walton were going to both be epic busts, especially in the power blocking scheme. I was wrong. Neither are all-pro, but their good enough to hold the position down. The OG and OC positions are not a draft need, and that shows these two are doing a good enough job.

Beadles is playing better, but Walton may not start next year for Denver if Koppen comes back.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted Dareus or Peterson, Dareus because of position and Peterson due to potential heirship to Champ. Obviously the rank should have been Miller-Peterson-Dareus. So glad we got the horn rimmed all pro LB.

I was wrong about Jay. Not a SB contending franchise QB, no matter the OL.

I was wrong about Darcel McBath. Somehow I always look into safety prospects leading up to the draft and I had him as a solid mid round selection who would eventually become yesterday's version of today's Quinton Carter. Staying with safeties: I was right about William Moore. And we could have selected him twice in the 2nd round of 2009.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
I wanted Dareus or Peterson, Dareus because of position and Peterson due to potential heirship to Champ. Obviously the rank should have been Miller-Peterson-Dareus. So glad we got the horn rimmed all pro LB.

I was wrong about Jay. Not a SB contending franchise QB, no matter the OL.

I was wrong about Darcel McBath. Somehow I always look into safety prospects leading up to the draft and I had him as a solid mid round selection who would eventually become yesterday's version of today's Quinton Carter. Staying with safeties: I was right about William Moore. And we could have selected him twice in the 2nd round of 2009.

I was wrong about McBath, too. I thought he would be a starter for the Broncos.

In 2003, I remember hoping for George Foster or Kwame Harris when we were on the clock. Some mock drafts leading up to the draft had us taking one of those two. We took the lesser of the two evils in Foster, but neither one of those guys were any good. That was the year that Shanahan tried to trade up to get Terrell Suggs. Looking back at that draft, I wish that he would have traded our whole draft to get him.

In 1993, the Broncos had back to back picks in the third round. With their first one, they took S Rondell Jones. I liked what I read about him, and I thought that he would be Dennis Smith's successor. He was gone in three years. They drafted Jason Elam with their second third rounder.

Speaking of Elam, I do remember wondering why they passed up G Will Shields to take a kicker in the third round. Looking back, however, Elam was a great pick, and they should have taken either Shields or S John Lynch ahead of Jones, who went 13 picks after Jones did.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong about Willis McGahee. As for as Von/Dareus/etc went, I would have been happy with Miller, Dareus, or Peterson. I didn't wasn't sure exactly who it would be. I did have questions about how we would use Miller though. Obviously, they've been answered.

Laughing
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:

Out of interest do you live in Florida? It always seems you are up to speed with College players from FSU, Miami, Florida etc. Don't know if that is coincidence.

I loved Taylor Mays coming out - I remember I had him going to us in a 2009 mock (think I did it with Spags being our Head Coach too ..)

I remember watching a ton of Georgia games before the 2010 NFL draft because I liked Reshad Jones, and I remember coming away wanting Jeff Owens really bad. Little did I know that the DT next to him would become an elite DT (Geno Atkins).

Terrance Taylor was my biggest flop. I thought he had so much size in his butt and legs that he would become a fantastic NT in the NFL. I even drafted him in the 2nd round during FFMD Embarassed I just checked our draft class from that year in FFMD; OUCH.

Quote:
#12 - Denver drafts Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC.
#48 - Denver drafts Terrence Taylor, NT, Michigan.
#76 - Denver drafts Lawrence Sidbury, OLB, Richmond.
#79 - Denver drafts Michael Hamlin, SS, Clemson.
#86 - Denver drafts Mitch King, DE, Iowa.
#95 - Denver drafts A.Q Shipley, C/OG, Penn State.
#132 - Denver drafts Cary Harris, CB, USC.
#141 - Denver drafts Courtney Greene, SS/FS, Rutgers.
#172 - Denver drafts Orion Martin, OLB, Virginia Tech.
#208 - Denver drafts Patrick Turner, WR, USC.
#218 - Denver drafts Jose Martinez, K, UTEP.

How many of them are even still in the NFL? Jeez ...

MUFC OK
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man...you all are terrible...no more mocking for you all.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong about Josh McDaniels being a good Head Coach. I never thought he was the best at evaluating draftees and think thats where he was given too much power, which lead to his firing. Still, I thought he would bring much more good to this franchise than he actually did.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
Oh man...you all are terrible...no more mocking for you all.

Yeah, I agree. I think I've been right about literally every single prediction I have ever made... Laughing

Jamison. mad props on this amazing Sig!!!
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted us to trade the farm to go up and get Alan Branch. I also was in love w/ Taylor Mays. But I think the biggest "I was wrong" was that I wanted us to draft Chris Williams over Ryan Clady Brick wall
I partially blame UK for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
I wanted us to trade the farm to go up and get Alan Branch. I also was in love w/ Taylor Mays. But I think the biggest "I was wrong" was that I wanted us to draft Chris Williams over Ryan Clady Brick wall

Yeh UK loved his Vanderbilt Alumni didn't he? I remember him loving Earl Bennett too. Who was the guy around here that used to used exclamation marks for everything? He tried to convince UK that Devin Thomas was going to be an an elite WR ...

MUFC OK
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:

Yeh UK loved his Vanderbilt Alumni didn't he? I remember him loving Earl Bennett too. Who was the guy around here that used to used exclamation marks for everything? He tried to convince UK that Devin Thomas was going to be an an elite WR ...
I know who your talking about, can't remember the name Laughing

Surprised no one has admitted they were wrong about Tebow, of course the ones that were wrong left though.

I hated Von Miller at first, not because of the pick or drafting him but because he was a dirty player but that's passed over with time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: