Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OL not as bad as we all thought [Panthers]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearsaddict

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken Supe. His line is not as good as in past years. I think its no coincidence that they have lost 3(nearly 4) games subsequently.
willyallthewei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good points and a lot of posts responding to mine, I'll just respond to what I thought were the key points of discussion in one post.

1.) Cutler adjusting to rush - maybe, but I think the line is the biggest reason for our QB's inability to make adjustments quickly and accurately.

The QB's adjustments to pressures are limited by his communication with the center, then limited by the communication of the center across the O-line.

Remember a couple weeks ago at our own 1 yard line against Detroit, when the whole line knew not to move in an effort to get the Lions offsides, we STILL got a false start penalty, c'mon are you serious? Is this Highschool football? Jay Cutler cannot even get his line to avoid a false start on plays where the snap probably had nothing to do w/ the cadence! What does that say about our discipline and training?

How does he switch up the cadence to make it harder on pass rushers? He can't - because he's afraid of false starts. How does he adjust protections with a line and Tightends that make mental mistakes like ours do? he can't because - that would lead missed assignments. How does he call an audible with 5 or less seconds for our centers and guards and tackles to communicate? He can't, because that would risk major breakdowns in our offense.

Watch this video: how far do you think our line is from this line?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hVx4EjaqY78
Before you compare our QB to the greatest signal calling man behind center to ever play, just look at how many years light years away our O-lines from being even close to that O-line in every aspect of football. It's like watching pros vs. amateurs, that's the difference to me.

I agree our line is as one poster mentioned average in technique and talent, but they are not even close IMO in communication and discipline. They are an undisciplined mess, not guys I would want to go to war with.

If this offense is having trouble adjusting to fronts and stunts, i'm going to assume the problem is the O-line because they are undisciplined and because they are penalty magnets. Fortunately, this is the first, and easiest mistake to correct with offenses. Because you can't coach talent, but you can coach discipline and communication!

2.) "elite QB's won't let poor O-line play derail their play" - Maybe Rodger's 1-1 with 3 dropped picks performance against us in week 2 is indication that he can avoid the 4 pick performance by Cutler, but that's about as well as an elite QB can do without great protection.

Elite QBs can at best avoid multiple turnovers when their line is playing poorly, anything better on a consistent basis is absolute nonsense and I'll argue that to the death.

3.) Lance Louis

I just meant to say that Louis played poorly for that game, probably because their Tackle at that spot played extremely well. On the season, I do not think he's the worst Lineman at all, I agree that particular honor goes to Carimi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: