Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pass Defense Problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabbisson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTPatsFan wrote:
Do you guys think that the coaches might be on to something if they start moving away from a zone scheme to a more aggressive man-to-man scheme?

The first drive it was all zone, and they looked awful.

After that, they blitzed more and played more man coverage, and it seemed like they were much better.

The final play of the Jets game was the same thing; man coverage with the LBs blitzing, and coverage was tight all across the board.

Man makes more sense if McCourty plays at safety. He's better in zone when he has to play cornerback though.

For now, I see no reason why we can't play man.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
terbo559

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
terbo559 wrote:
I agree that it is the coaching. Our corners are always lining up 5-10 yards from the receivers even on short downs and the coaches aren't doing anything or telling them to get to the line to jam the receivers.

Meh that would be a terrible idea. None of our corners can be trusted to play press coverage. Its hard enough for the safeties to get it right when the corners aren't 15 yards behind their man...

Yeah but playing 5-10 yards off gives receivers a lot of cushion to run a lot of quick routes, routes down the middle, and even give them room to do double moves which have been killing our defensive backs.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the week 1 starting secondary was
McCourty-Gregory-Chung-Arrington

Going forward the secondary looks to be
Dennard-McCourty-Wilson-Moore

interesting

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

interesting

I don't know that we'll see that alignment going forward. I'd expect some combination of Arrington/Gregory/Chung to be healthy for the next game and I suspect the opening day lineup will be the one we will see as guys return to health.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

interesting

I don't know that we'll see that alignment going forward. I'd expect some combination of Arrington/Gregory/Chung to be healthy for the next game and I suspect the opening day lineup will be the one we will see as guys return to health.

You don't think Dennard will get the nod over Arrington on base downs?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

interesting

It's possible. If the safeties are back for the next game, I'd think we'll see the opening day lineup though. If McCourty continues to play at S and Dennard continues to look decent , he could overtake Arrington.I don't know that he's shown enough (in the mind of the coaching staff) to have won that spot as of now.
TKOhitter8737

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mccourty and Chung were pretty good saftey combo last year. Wilson not ready to start yet.
HOVA333

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

interesting

It's possible. If the safeties are back for the next game, I'd think we'll see the opening day lineup though. If McCourty continues to play at S and Dennard continues to look decent , he could overtake Arrington.I don't know that he's shown enough (in the mind of the coaching staff) to have won that spot as of now.

Arrington has shown enough. Every time he lets up a big play BB reels him back in.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKOhitter8737 wrote:
Mccourty and Chung were pretty good saftey combo last year. Wilson not ready to start yet.

Eh I dont think McCourty was particularly good last yr at S. OIm not a fan of CHung either. I'd probably prefer Gregory starting over Chung anyways. Though i'd ideally run:
Dennard Chung Gregory McCourty w/ Wilson back as big nickle.
pjhdsn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
things couldn't possibly get any worse
This is the biggest thing that bugs me about Pats fans right now. Yes, it can get worse. It can get a lot worse.

We could be Raiders fans lol, that would be a lot worse.
pjhdsn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Sciz wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
things couldn't possibly get any worse
This is the biggest thing that bugs me about Pats fans right now. Yes, it can get worse. It can get a lot worse.

No it can't. Watch the first drive of the game. Same 4-man rush, same result. Teams WILL score in that situation, as long as they don't shoot themselves in the foot. A team with a good offense will score every single time they take the field against our 4 man rush. How can it get worse than that?

Coming into today, the Pats pass defense was:

29th in yards
26th in yards per attempt
27th in passer rating against
25th in completion percentage against

So coming into today, they weren't even in the bottom 3 in any of those categories. So to say "it can't get worse" is nonsensical. Of course it can, as evidenced by the teams who have worse pass D this year.

Problem is, we've faced...

Jake Locker
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Mark Sanchez
Russell Wilson
Sam Bradford
Joe Flacco
Peyton Manning

Meaning only 1 good quarterback and several terrible ones.

I disagree with you assessment of the QB's, noyl one great one. Flacco, Wilson and Bradford are all good QB's. Locker is decent, yes Sanchez and Fitzpatrick are pretty weak. None looked bad against the Pats, and with the exception Manning probably had about their best day against us. Thats the problem.
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
TKOhitter8737 wrote:

Eh I dont think McCourty was particularly good last yr at S. OIm not a fan of CHung either. I'd probably prefer Gregory starting over Chung anyways. Though i'd ideally run:
Dennard Chung Gregory McCourty w/ Wilson back as big nickle.

McCourty was invisible at S last year. Im not high on Chung at all and I can't wait to see him go once FA hits.

If I had the choice I would stick with Arrington and McCourty at corner and place Chung and Gregory when healthy at S and hold your breathe. Arrington is having a tough patch right now and will likely bounce back. McCourty isn't having an extremely great bounce back year but he's bouncing back in some fashion.

Wilson isn't ready to be playing the deep parts of the field yet (see Seattle and Rams game last week). He looks great down playing in the box and covering TEs but man he looks out of place playing the ball down field. Maybe another year and he will look better in space. Chung needs to go and we need to either draft the most terminator boss S we can ever find or go the FA pool because this cannot go on for another year.

Same issues. Same positions. Same players. Somethings gotta change and it starts with CHUNG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: