Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 8: Jacksonville Jaguars @ Green Bay Packers 1 PM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins?
Packers in a laugher
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Packers by a lot
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Geno Smith
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
iPwn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bryan Anger
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Blaine Gabbert's preseason QB rating
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

iPwn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic has only watched two games with Gabbert at the helm; the Ravens game and this one.

He needs to watch more, methinks.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was actually a really enjoyable game to watch. I mean, we lost and had some really goofy screw ups that cost us, and we were playing a pretty banged up Packers team, but so what? It actually felt like we had an offense!

A lot of positive stuff today. Gabbert tailed off a bit later in the game, but man...that's the kind of flashes of progress we've all been desperate to see out of him. A lot of drops today too, which was unfortunate. But hopefully he can continue to build on this going forward, and maybe the receivers will hold on to a few more balls in the future!

The comments earlier in the thread re: the shackles coming off with MJD out are really worth considering. It seems to completely alter the way we do offense with MJD out...with what seem to be pretty positive results.

Also, Shorts III...my goodness. That was great to see today. Looking like a potentially really good pick. The improvement from last year to today is huge...if he continues to grow as a player and work on becoming a more polished receiver...looks like he's got some real talent and instincts for the game. Could be a good one for us.

Blackmon on the other hand...showed up for half a game, and then just...wtf? That was frustrating to watch his shenanigans in the 4th quarter. He has some ability, but too often we don't see a real competitive fire and determination from him. And just too many mental mistakes for a 5th overall pick. But hopefully he grows up as a player and puts things together more consistently. I think we're still always going to need a #1a to complement what he can do though.

I thought Jennings was actually decent, other than the fumble. That was bad, but hey...fumbles happen, and he took good care of the football from then on. Nothing really special, but he did work and looked fine for the most part. Adds a very different dimension to our offense when he's the feature back. And despite only 59yards rushing, he had enough catches for positive yards that i'd call his game decent on the whole. The biggest thing just seems to be the way it completely alters our offensive gameplan and outlook...for the better.

Anger had a rough game. Not only with that block, but a few pretty disappointing boots outside of that. But hey, thus is the life of a punter. He is still a rookie after all.

As a whole though, just really nice to see some form of progress with this team (particularly on offense). I don't care so much about the wins and losses at this point, i just want to see something to look forward to and build on. I want to see them looking like a real team out there. And today, i saw plenty of flashes of that.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
So anybody else realize how much better Blaine plays without MJD? Just sayin.

Really does make me wonder...

I think the biggest part of it is that it seems to completely change the way we approach the game offensively. There's none of this 'grind it out 3 yards at a time' nonsense. We lean on the passing game and we do some different things all around. A much more dynamic attack.

But i'm a little bit curious if there's more to it than that. Obviously MJD is a leader on this team, but i wonder if that isn't a bit of a double-edged sword. Without MJD, i just get the impression that Gabbert is truly taking the reigns. He just looks more confident in what he's doing...like it's truly his team. Anyone else get this sort of impression? Almost like MJD's stardom and the respect everyone has for him kind of overshadows Gabbert as the 'leader' on the field?

I wonder what we'd be able to get for MJD in trade? Obviously not a huge market for aging RBs with tons of wear on the tires, looking for a big dollar contract extension...But he's still gotta be worth something to someone, right? A pick? Player in a similar situation at a different position? Negotiating rights to a guy like Mike Wallace? Wink

Then just go out and sign a complementary back to work with Jennings. Maybe a Peyton Hillis/Shonn Greene/Mendenhall type to provide some between the tackles punch? Or a Chris Ivory/Jackie Battle type even. Maybe even find a mid-rounder in the draft? Just run a tandem/rotation in the backfield and focus on the passing game.

I know it's something that was discussed a fair bit in the preseason during MJD's holdout...but it's seriously looking more and more like an avenue worth investigating. Let MJD get paid somewhere else, and let him have a shot at a ring before he's completely worn out. Make sure that Gabbert (or whoever our QB is) can be the true leader and focal point of the offense.

iPwn wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if another year and a real weapon to pair with Blackmon and Shorts wouldn't make Gabbert a very good QB, so long as they keep letting him play like he has the past two games..

Yeah. If Gabbert continues to show progress like today, it makes the idea of giving him another year a lot easier to stomach. If he can continue to show these flashes of potential, and we can get him that extra weapon he needs, along with building up the O-Line some more and fixing our defense...maybe there's something there after all.

I'd still want to draft another QB this year, but still just a mid-rounder project who can sit for a year behind Gabbert. But today was the sort of progress i need to see from Gabbert to think he might not be a complete bust.

It is also important to remember that Gabbert is still basically younger than a bunch of the 'rookie QBs' catching a ton of hype this year. Luck, Tannehill, Wheedon, Wilson...all older than Gabbert still. And counting last year as real 'developmental time' may be a real stretch. So i've decided i'm basically just looking at this season like Gabbert's 'rookie year' to an extent.

iPwn wrote:
We're 1-6 right now, with virtually no chance of making the playoffs, barring an epic 8-1 run down the stretch. If the offensive gameplay from here on out isn't "Gabbert, we're taking the training wheels off, prove you're a franchise QB," I'm going to be really flustered. There is basically nothing else worth playing for offensively. We quite clearly aren't going on that run with the gameplan we had before, so there's no reason not to play some real pass first offense.

Completely agree on this. Our season isn't going to end with a ring, or playoffs even. The biggest thing a few eeked out wins will do for us, is sabotage our draft position. But we can use this season to really evaluate what we have and build towards next year. And imo, that absolutely means carrying on with an offensive gameplan like today. Just let Gabbert loose. Remove the shackles!!! Let's see what he can really do...and along with that, hopefully we'll get a much better idea what our receiving corps can truly do as well.

Trying to grind our way to 'close games' isn't going to work. We're not nearly good enough defensively to do any damage that way, and offensively...i don't think we're a good enough 'ground and pound' team to make it work either, even with MJD in the backfield. And that sort of game just doesn't really fly in today's NFL.

So let's genuinely go all in, toss the ball around a ton, gameplan aggressively, and see what comes out the other side. Smile
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 drops according to Mularkey. Yeesh.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:

Damn, i thought separation was the biggest issue.

Did Kevin Elliott see the field much?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:

Damn, i thought separation was the biggest issue.

Did Kevin Elliott see the field much?

2 drops

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam that sucks Sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone has said this, but on the punt block, Green Bay only had 10 people on the field.

JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
I don't know if anyone has said this, but on the punt block, Green Bay only had 10 people on the field.

Laughing perfect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are scheduled to pick 3rd...and we have the hardest Strength of Schedule in the league.

#JDI
Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:

lol.

even better!
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
We are scheduled to pick 3rd...and we have the hardest Strength of Schedule in the league.

Wonder if we can get a legit QB at 3...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

His name is Blaine Gabbert.

#JDI
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

then how about a legit pass-rusher?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

then how about a legit pass-rusher?

Jarvis Jones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: