Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Anyone else think that DJ Williams is our new MLB
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LW33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Anyone else think that DJ Williams is our new MLB Reply with quote

By the last three weeks of the season or at least splitting snaps with Brooking? Wesley is not going anywhere...he's potentially been our best defender this year. I know that DJ has played in the middle here before...thoughts?
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely not against it.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
howie102

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
I'm definitely not against it.

A few short weeks ago, I would've said no, not a chance. Would've gone on a long diatribe about upholding professional standards, we don't need this bum, blah blah.

Getting off of my high-horse, if he's back up to game fitness, I'd get him heavily involved from the off. He's played the position, albeit reluctantly, before and he's just what we need.

More importantly, it makes our nickel package a LOT moe capable. Again, assuming we can get him up to game speed pretty quickly.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't like him as much as everyone else. I think he is a pro bowl calibre blitzer on passing downs and a very sure tackler, but everything else in his game is expendable in my opinion. I don't think he runs very well (anymore), I think his instincts are average and his worst trait is filling the hole.

Now I think a Nickel combination of Woodyard and Williams is better than that of Woodyard/Trevathan or Woodyard/Brooking, but until teams start finding a way to exploit Brooking in the passing game in our base 4-3, I don't think DJ is that much of an upgrade on Brooking.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Williams get eased into the role.

MUFC OK
Mile High

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely do. Anyone who is mad at his character has a right to be but the guy who had 141 tackles and was 2nd in the NFL in the category as a MLB in 2007.

As long as being away from the game hasn't hurt him (which I doubt it will based off of all the other elite football players who have missed games this year) he will find his way onto the field on some level.

That level will be MLB. And he will make the defense better.

Jamison. mad props on this amazing Sig!!!
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in. He is better than anyone else on the team at playing the position. Contrary to what some think, DJ Williams is a much better athlete than Brooking. It is not even close. It would definitely be an upgrade to our defense and I would be shocked if he were not the starting MLB by end of season.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Contrary to what some think, DJ Williams is a much better athlete than Brooking.

Who is arguing this?

MUFC OK
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mile High wrote:
I absolutely do. Anyone who is mad at his character has a right to be but the guy who had 141 tackles and was 2nd in the NFL in the category as a MLB in 2007.

As long as being away from the game hasn't hurt him (which I doubt it will based off of all the other elite football players who have missed games this year) he will find his way onto the field on some level.

Not sure if I'd use 2007 as a positive example. That year DJ slid inside to take over Al Wilson's job. We went from a top 10 defense to a bottom feeder in that year.

He's really not suited to the middle. He'll make his tackles, they'll just be 5+ yards downfield.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Mile High wrote:

Not sure if I'd use 2007 as a positive example. That year DJ slid inside to take over Al Wilson's job. We went from a top 10 defense to a bottom feeder in that year.

He's really not suited to the middle. He'll make his tackles, they'll just be 5+ yards downfield.
D.J. wasn't the reason for that though, Lynch dropped off a cliff, the DL was complete garbage, Gold was awful, Winborn was awful, Ferguson was awful. D.J., Champ, and Doom were the only remotely bright spots on defense that season, and Doom was a situational player at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Mile High wrote:

D.J. wasn't the reason for that though, Lynch dropped off a cliff, the DL was complete garbage, Gold was awful, Winborn was awful, Ferguson was awful. D.J., Champ, and Doom were the only remotely bright spots on defense that season, and Doom was a situational player at the time.

True points, but I'd reword it to say, "DJ wasn't the only reason"

I still think he's a poor fit in the middle.
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Mile High wrote:

True points, but I'd reword it to say, "DJ wasn't the only reason"

I still think he's a poor fit in the middle.

As opposed to Brookings who is a great fit? Wow.....
LW33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ is not getting any younger. He is loved in the locker room and I would hope has the desire to reward the front office's faith in him in spite of his trangressions. This is a great time for him to step up for the organization and moving him inside is the only way he sticks long term with this organization.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think that DJ Williams is our new MLB Reply with quote

My hope is that if DJ performs up to snuff in practice and picks things up quickly he can replace Woodyard in the starting lineup. As far as the sub-packages, DJ can compete with Trevatahan for playing time.

LW33 wrote:
Wesley is not going anywhere...he's potentially been our best defender this year.

This is definately a false statement. We have a cornerback on our roster(Chris Harris) who is a better run defender than Woodyard.

Last edited by AntiSuperstar on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutler06

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think that DJ Williams is our new MLB Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
My hope is that if DJ performs up to snuff in practice and picks things up quickly he can replace Woodyard in the starting lineup. As far as the sub-packages, he can compete with Trevatahan for playing time.

LW33 wrote:
Wesley is not going anywhere...he's potentially been our best defender this year.

This is definately a false statement. We have a cornerback on our roster(Chris Harris) who is a better run defender than Woodyard.

Don't think Harris has rec'd DPOW honors yet has he ??

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else think that DJ Williams is our new MLB Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
Don't think Harris has rec'd DPOW honors yet has he ??

Chris Harris is too busy doing the dirty work.

Here's an opinion for you guys, top 5 Broncos defenders:

1. Von Miller
2. Champ Bailey
3. Chris Harris
4. Kevin Vickerson
5. Rahim Moore
10. Wesley Woodyard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: