Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fitz pre & post extension... not all that different

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Fitz pre & post extension... not all that different Reply with quote

Today marks the one-year mark since Fitzpatrick was awarded his contract extension. Here are his stats over the last 365 days:

17 games - 352/585 (60.1%) for 3,790 yards (6.4 y/a) and 27 TDs to 26 INTs (76.0 rating); 61 carries for 270 yards (4.4 avg) and 0 TDs; 5-12 record

In the 365 days before Fitzpatrick received his contract extension:

15 games - 308/515 (59.8%) for 3,500 yards (6.7 y/a) and 24 TDs to 17 INTs (82.0 rating); 41 carries for 193 yards (4.7 avg) and 0 TDs; 8-7 record

The only significant difference is that Fitz is averaging 0.4 more interceptions per game (or six more over the course of 16 games). He is also averaging 3.8 less wins per season, though the recent string of defensive collapses isn't helping him there. The point I'm trying to make is that Fitzpatrick has always been mediocre. Even his 82.0 rating in the year before his contract wouldn't crack the top half of the league.

Fitzpatrick's completion percentage has actually improved since his contract extension, ha! Razz

^Jamison.
Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?
When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue is that our front office overreacted to our great start last year.

Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us Bills fans knew he wasn't worth the extension, but the FO bought in to early and fell for fools gold performances against some weak defensive teams, worried about losing him, and over-payed.
swolfdab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 9 INT is a big difference... That's an entire season's worth of INT for a good quarterback...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
I'd say 9 INT is a big difference... That's an entire season's worth of INT for a good quarterback...

Keep in mind he had two extra games to throw those nine interceptions, it doesn't make up the whole difference, but it is significant.

^Jamison.
OffseasonChamps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb_gobills wrote:
swolfdab wrote:

Keep in mind he had two extra games to throw those nine interceptions, it doesn't make up the whole difference, but it is significant.

It is significant, for Fitz, nine interceptions in two games isn't out of the norm. Wink

The guy just isn't the guy. As you point out, that's always been the case. He's definitely on the list of players who aren't earning their paycheck. Unfortunately for us fans, there are a lot of players on that list.

1. Every single defensive lineman and linebacker on the roster.
2. Fitz
3. Stevie
4. Fred Jackson
5. George Wilson
6. Aaron Williams

I think with a physically and mentally capable QB you can eliminate most of the under performers on the offense. Stevie's open, Fitz is just that bad.
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OffseasonChamps wrote:
4. Fred Jackson

Pfft, Jackson's the man! Razz

^Jamison.
swolfdab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb_gobills wrote:
swolfdab wrote:

9 INT difference in just two games is ridiculous... Alex Smith hasn't thrown 9 picks in more than 2 years. Fitz is liable to do that in a two game span. He stinks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb_gobills wrote:
OffseasonChamps wrote:
4. Fred Jackson

If it's fair to judge Fitz, it's fair to judge everybody on the roster. Fred got the contract extension and this season he's lost 2 fumbles on 53 carries, is averaging 3.7 yards per carry, has 2 total TDs and has been injured. If that's the man...

I still stand that he never should have been given the extension. He was incredible last season but he was also injured, he was 31 years old, and a 1st round draft pick came in and performed just as well as he had been performing. To me, it's a stupid decision that was made to pander to fans. It made little to no strategic sense.

If you want to say that it was a good thing to extend him to show the players that we reward our own, Kyle Williams and Stevie Johnson's extensions did that and make more strategic sense. It's a waste of money unless the guy at age 32 is so incredible he undoubtedly is the reason why the Bills win a Superb Owl. The odds are better that CJ continues to out perform him because he's old, his body is breaking down, his skills are diminishing, his role will be relegated to something where everyone will ask, "Why are we paying a 3rd down back starter money?"

So, yeah, you know, that's how I feel about it. I guess I'm also ruling out a championship this season too. Laughing
BeastM0de23RB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OffseasonChamps

I don't disagree with the overall sentiment of your argument regarding Fred, but to be fair, his contract extension pays him under 3M in each of the three years in the deal (and 1 of those years was simply restructured). The investment we put into Fred is minimal, and I don't think he is considered to make starter money. 6M, 7M, 8M....to me, that's starter money.

While I understand the nature of your criticism, I'd much rather have Fred available if CJ were to go down than I would anyone else on our current roster. We're really not paying him that much, so I don't see why you feel the need to devalue the decision.

“Experiences are the chemicals of life with which the philosopher experiments” - M.P.H.
swolfdab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OffseasonChamps wrote:
jb_gobills wrote:
OffseasonChamps wrote:
4. Fred Jackson

If it's fair to judge Fitz, it's fair to judge everybody on the roster. Fred got the contract extension and this season he's lost 2 fumbles on 53 carries, is averaging 3.7 yards per carry, has 2 total TDs and has been injured. If that's the man...

I still stand that he never should have been given the extension. He was incredible last season but he was also injured, he was 31 years old, and a 1st round draft pick came in and performed just as well as he had been performing. To me, it's a stupid decision that was made to pander to fans. It made little to no strategic sense.

If you want to say that it was a good thing to extend him to show the players that we reward our own, Kyle Williams and Stevie Johnson's extensions did that and make more strategic sense. It's a waste of money unless the guy at age 32 is so incredible he undoubtedly is the reason why the Bills win a Superb Owl. The odds are better that CJ continues to out perform him because he's old, his body is breaking down, his skills are diminishing, his role will be relegated to something where everyone will ask, "Why are we paying a 3rd down back starter money?"

So, yeah, you know, that's how I feel about it. I guess I'm also ruling out a championship this season too. Laughing

Understood, and all good points. However, Fred Jackson brings leadership to this team. He is the heart and soul of the franchise. And his tires still have tread on them, considering the amount of playing time or lack thereof, that he received leading up to Lynch's departure. The deal he got wasn't detrimental, and it was much more sensible than the Fitzpatrick deal.

Fred Jackson, 9 million/2 years >>>>> Ryan Fitzpatrick 59 million/6 years with 29 guaranteed

That Ryan Fitzpatrick deal just might be the worst signing in the history of the league, and because of that, it is much more fair to judge him more heavily.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
OffseasonChamps wrote:
jb_gobills wrote:
OffseasonChamps wrote:
4. Fred Jackson

Understood, and all good points. However, Fred Jackson brings leadership to this team. He is the heart and soul of the franchise. And his tires still have tread on them, considering the amount of playing time or lack thereof, that he received leading up to Lynch's departure. The deal he got wasn't detrimental, and it was much more sensible than the Fitzpatrick deal.

Fred Jackson, 9 million/2 years >>>>> Ryan Fitzpatrick 59 million/6 years with 29 guaranteed

That Ryan Fitzpatrick deal just might be the worst signing in the history of the league, and because of that, it is much more fair to judge him more heavily.

What's Fred Jackson ever done that makes him a leader worth following? Has he won championships, awards, has he ever been on a winning team?

The difference between Fred Jackson and Chris Kelsay is that Fred has been somewhat productive. That's it. He's a hard worker, he's got a great story, he's a nice guy but he has no results.

This team with Fred Jackson's leadership is no different than the Bills teams that were here before him. The guy has not changed anything about this franchise as a result of his play or leadership. What about this team would be worse off without Fred Jackson?

It should go without saying but I'll say it anyway, we're all on the same page regarding Fitz. His contract extension makes Black Death look like a case of the sniffles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: