Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ranking the players in the trenches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Ranking the players in the trenches Reply with quote

How would you guys rank the following players? Base it on their importance to the team (how good they are, how much they will be needed in the future, etc). The list below includes the guys on IR as well as the practice squad players:

Code:
Pos Player            Ht  Wt  Age Xp Notes
LT  Cordy Glenn       6-5 343  23  R
LT  Chris Hairston    6-6 330  23  2
RT  Erik Pears        6-8 316  30  7
RT  Zebrie Sanders    6-6 318  24  3 IR (undisclosed)
RT  Sam Young         6-8 316  25  3
OG  Andy Levitre      6-2 305  26  4 Contract year (UFA)
OG  Kraig Urbik       6-5 324  27  4 Contract year (RFA)
OG  Chad Rinehart     6-5 321  27  5 Contract year (RFA)
OL  Colin Brown       6-7 326  27  2 IR (hamstring); Contract year (RFA)
C   Eric Wood         6-4 310  26  4
G/C David Snow        6-4 305  22  R
T/G Andrew Jackson    6-5 299  24  2 Practice Squad
T/G Reggie Stephens   6-3 320  25  2 Practice Squad
OG  Keith Williams    6-5 330  24  1 Practice Squad
LS  Garrison Sanborn  6-1 240  27  4
DE  Mario Williams    6-6 292  27  7
DE  Mark Anderson     6-4 255  29  7
DE  Chris Kelsay      6-4 263  32 10
DE  Kyle Moore        6-6 263  27  4 Contract year (UFA)
DE  Shawne Merriman   6-4 261  28  8 Contract year (UFA)
DE  Jarron Gilbert    6-5 289  26  2 Practice Squad
DT  Kyle Williams     6-1 303  29  7 Defensive Captain
DT  Marcell Dareus    6-3 331  22  2
DL  Spencer Johnson   6-3 304  30  9 Contract year (UFA)
DL  Alex Carrington   6-5 301  25  3
DT  Jay Ross          6-3 319  25  1 Practice Squad
DT  Torrell Troup     6-3 327  24  3 IR (back)

^Jamison.
Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?
When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't go through them all but here's my top 10 plus a few.

1) Mario Williams - We dished out all that money for him to be a superstar for years to come.

2) Cordy Glenn - He looked like a stud when he was healthy. If he can come back strong he should solidify our LT spot for 10 years (man have we needed it).

3) Marcell Dareus - I think his youth puts him over Kyle Williams. Last year he looked incredible, while this year he has dropped off a bit in the 4-3 scheme. I think he's still got a very bright future and a chance to be a top DT in the NFL.

4) Kyle Williams - The most consistent defensive player over the years here. Brings a ton of energy and leadership to the team. He has been the bright spot on a D-line that had high expectations. One of the most underrated linemen in the league.

5) Eric Wood - Arguably one of the best centers in the league. Is terrific in the pass and run game. I feel like the center is the second most important position on the line. Just ask the Cowboys.

6) Andy Levitre - Similar to Wood, terrific in both aspects of his game. Likely a top 3 LG in the NFL. He was huge for us last year, played every spot on the line. We MUST lock him up soon.

7) Mark Anderson - Has been very disappointing thus far. It looks like we overpaid for a situational passrusher. I still think he deserves a chance to redeem himself when he gets back.

8] Kraig Urbik - Has been consistent. He has been a great run blocker for us. The reason why he isn't higher is because Rinehart can come in and there isn't much of a difference - both perform solidly.

9) Erik Pears - Has definitely shown he can be a consistent starter. Great in the run game. He's the weakest guy on a very strong offensive line.

10) Kyle Moore - I think he has been a diamond in the rough so far. He gets consistent pressure and has performed well in his role.

11) Chad Rinehart
12) Chris Hairston
13) Chris Kelsay - He's old and overpaid. Despite my hatred towards him, he is however filling in nicely for Anderson.
14) Alex Carrington
15) Shawne Merriman

Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly hard to do by mixing in players from both sides of the ball! Anyway, here's what I got:

1. Eric Wood - Makes the line calls and does it well. Key part of one of the best interior OL's in the league. Far too many people underestimate the value of allowing the QB to step up in the pocket to avoid an outside rush. A key reason Fitz stays upright.

2. Andy Levitre - Read above comments on Wood. Levitre doesn't make the calls and that is the only reason he doesn't beat out Wood in this ranking. Like Wood, is excellent in pulling to lead screen plays, a mainstay in Gailey's offense.

3. Kyle Williams - I had a hard time not ranking him #2, that's how close I thought it was. Kyle is the smartest DL we have - diagnoses plays extremely well and would be in the backfield even more if he had the athleticism of Dareus. Even with his somewhat limited athleticism, he is still one of the best interior linemen in the league due to his ability to quickly read plays.

4. Cordy Glenn - I surprised myself by ranking him this high. Not that I thought he stunk or anything - he's played far better than I ever expected - but maybe this rank is a reflection on how quickly I think the level of talent drops off? Nah, he's actually very good. At the end of the day, he has been very reliable is passing situations and a true stud to run behind. Will start for years and years.

5. Marcell Dareus - I had a hard time ranking Dareus this high as I think he is going through a pretty bad sophomore slump. Nevertheless, IMHO his presence on the inside has allowed Kyle the ability to make more plays. We really need to see Marcell step up his game against the run.

6. Kraig Urbik - As has been stated, a true force as a run blocker and he really isn't that bad in pass protection as he has surprisingly quick feet. I won't knock him for Rinehart's ability to come in and contribute with only a little drop off in play, as I think that is more a sign of how strong our depth in the RG spot is. Looking forward to seeing Urbik back on the field.

7. Mario Williams - Wish we could have seen an uninjured Mario up until now, but he has had trouble with his wrist. Has played pretty well in running situations, but has underperformed on passing downs. I can't knock him for his lack of production in blitzing situations, because Wannstedt has rarely called blitzes and won't, as that is not an integral part of his defensive philosophy. I'm hoping Mario comes back from the bye week healthier and better able to pressure QB's...especially given his steep salary.

8. Garrison Sanborn - Who?!? Exactly! When you are the long snapper on special teams and no one knows your name, you are actually playing well! A mainstay for some years now, Sanborn is one of the better LS in the league.

9. Erik Pears - He starts, so I guess that is affecting my ranking him in the top 10...I'd rather not put him in there! Last year was a career season for Pears, but this year he has come back down to earth, playing much closer to his norm. If the Bills OL has a liability, it is definitely Pears. Has struggled, especially in passing plays.

10. Tie between Chad Rinehart & Chris Hairston - Key players who provide excellent depth. Similar players even though they man different positions...both run block well, but get exposed in passing downs due to their heavy/slow feet.

12. Colin Brown - Yes, 3rd string RG, Colin Brown at #12! Brown would be a 2nd string RG on most squads and IMHO could start for some teams, especially the Cards! Played very well prior to his injury against the 49ers. Provided good drive on running plays and held his own against the rush on passing downs. I was very pleasantly surprised. The OL is by far the deepest group we have on the Bills.

13. Chris Kelsay - I actually thought about putting him ahead of Brown, but considering how much experience he has, he has disappointed in his lack of discipline. I'm not talking about loose lips, but his propensity to get too far upfield in run plays, exposing the rest of the D to some rather long runs. Did that twice that I can recall vs. the Titans. Is he trying too hard? I don't know, but his lack of maintaining his gap responsibilities has hurt our D this year.

14. Kyle Moore - I ranked him this high simply because I am somewhat encouraged by his play in passing downs. Still a liability vs. the run. I think there is still some upside left in this guy.

15. Mark Anderson - Well, he started at the beginning of the season, so I guess the coaches felt he brought something to the table. I think he got exposed for having no lead in the seat of his pants on running plays and really didn't provide any pressure on passing downs. In theory, his speed should make him very valuable in Wanny's D, but it just hasn't proven to be the case yet.

16. Alex Carrington - Has been pretty decent at DT the few times he has seen the field. Hard to evaluate simply because he hasn't been given many opportunities to prove himself.

The rest are not worth mentioning IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Williams
Eric Wood
Andy Levitre
Marcell Dareus
Cordy Glenn
Mario Williams
Kraig Urbik
Alex Carrington
Eric Pears
Mark Anderson
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
7. Mario Williams - Wish we could have seen an uninjured Mario up until now, but he has had trouble with his wrist. Has played pretty well in running situations, but has underperformed on passing downs. I can't knock him for his lack of production in blitzing situations, because Wannstedt has rarely called blitzes and won't, as that is not an integral part of his defensive philosophy. I'm hoping Mario comes back from the bye week healthier and better able to pressure QB's...especially given his steep salary.

Don't hold you breathe, we waited 6 years in Houston for him to live up to expectations and he never did.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: