Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Congratulations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Congratulations Reply with quote

I am a Dallas Cowboys fan living in the state of Arkansas. I have watched Matt Jones play for the last 4 years in college as well as a couple games his senior year of high school.

He comes across as having an "I don't give a crap" attitude and seems to be too laid back. I have seen him crying after a loss and playing in pain that some guys couldn't take. He is every bit as much a competitor and loves the game as much if not more than most guys.

Sure, you may see him sitting on the bench humming and enjoying some Gatorade during a 7 overtime game, but just because he is relaxed doesn't mean the guy doesn't care. In fact, I loved the fact that in the most pressure packed situations, Matt would be as cool as a cucumber. He won a 7 overtime game against Ole Miss and Eli Manning as a true Freshman. That is amazing for a Senior, much less a Freshman.

I am in know way comparing him to Joe Montana as a QB, but hear me out. In the Super Bowl against Cincinatti, the 49'ers were losing and needed a long drive to pull ahead. Montana comes up to the huddle and tells his teammates that he thinks he sees John Candy in the stands at the other endzone eating some popcorn. For Montana to be so calm and collected during the most pressure packed situation in pro football, is amazing. That kind of calm and cool attitude is exactly what Matt Jones has.

I know he has to make the transition to pro WR from college QB. I have seen him at practice playing WR when his shoulder was hurt and he wasn't doing much work at QB. The kid is a natural and has GREAT hands. He played some WR in high school and a little in college, so it isn't like he is doing something totally new to him. Heck, one year during Bowl game practices, he even lined up at punt returner. The scary part is that even with his huge size, he was great at it.

Matt looks like he is running slowly and not really trying at first. Then, you notice that he takes like 3 steps per 5 yards and realize that he is actually flying. One thing that got him drafted so highly was his amazing 40 yard time. It is his lateral quickness and ability to make people miss open field tackles that impresses me the most. I honestly think he has better speed, lateral quickness and juking ability than Michael Vick.

The only thing your coaches will need to work on is getting Matt to better protect the football. In his earlier days at Arkansas, Matt kinda ran with the ball like it was a loaf of bread and this lead to a few fumbles. His senior year I can only remember one fumble. It was against Texas and pretty much cost Arkansas the game. Afterwards, Matt was crushed and made a valiant effort to better protect the ball. I don't remember him fumbling anymore that year. However, sometimes he would break into the open and have that thing out there and it would have me yelling at him to put it under his arm, lol.

Well, I know I have been rambling. I can't help it. This kid is amazing and I hope you guys enjoy watching him make plays as much as I have the last few years.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
cowbizzel fa shizzel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better juking ablility than Mike Vick... Wow!!! get off his **** please, homeboy can play but he's better than Mike Vick at making people miss is absurd. He's tall fast and caught some balls at the senior bowl. Great Michael Jenkins didn't drop a ball all week at the senior bowl and only caught like ten balls all year in the pros.
I smell J. Shockey all over again.
titans#1fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. And this stuff is real funny Laughing
jagz4life

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may not be Mike Vick but SOMETHING is getting him attention and you cant deny that it is talent and potential so taking anything away from this kid would be a sin
titans#1fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All he has is size and speed.
jagz4life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And good hands... WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED?!!?! The last reciever taken at #21 who was a risk was... this guy... i dont know if you've heard of him.. umm Randy Moss.. I think he did alright with those qualities
titans#1fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagz4life wrote:
And good hands... WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED?!!?! The last reciever taken at #21 who was a risk was... this guy... i dont know if you've heard of him.. umm Randy Moss.. I think he did alright with those qualities

this is still some funny stuff
jagz4life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying he will turn out to be Moss.. but you cant take anything away from the guy.. just because you feel you need to trash other teams because yours sucks
jagsfan18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with that last statement. Matt Jones will just have to destroy the titans secondary when we play them twice a year.

GO JAGS Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: