Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tracking Ryan Tannehill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you currently believe Ryan Tannehill is the answer?
Yes, he is on the right track and just needs to develop with expirience.
93%
 93%  [ 54 ]
No, I wouldn't be surprised if Barkley was a Dolphin in 2013.
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 58

Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the 1/2 mark, I can say Tanney has the ability to be a good QB, I do not think he will be one of the greatest QB's, I do not think he can be the next Brett Farve, Dan Marino John Elway. But BoB Griese type yes, I think we might be able to make it with him, I am not 100% sold yet and wont be until I see how he transfers from this season to next season.

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats Week-6)
60.8% CMP - 1133 yards -8 TD's - 5 INT's - 81.2 Rat
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sold at all. I cant quite put my finger on it but it is something in the way offense runs that disturbes me. Every play still seems to struggle. I just need to see more and that is one reason I am mad he got hurt yesterday. I just want to see more of the movie script before making a judgement. I cannot tell if the issue are the players, scheme or what.
Clutch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering he has like 26 starts, including college/NFL, he is well on his way. That is the equivalent to having two years in college.

The guy seems to have learned very quickly, to win in this league you need to take care of the ball.

Ova, he isn't as fluid, yet, as some of the elites, but it took Brady about 7 years to get to be this good. For a rookie qb, in year 1, to have a team with low aspirations sitting at 4-3 and in the hunt for the playoffs. I'll gladly take it.

This offense still isn't hitting alot of deep plays, but with time and a couple more weapons that will change. The fact he has great numbers facing the blitz speaks volumes. Teams already seem to be stacking the box to take away the run and have the kid beat them.....and he is getting the job done.

At this point would you rather have RT or Rivers?
Deets

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
I am not sold at all. I cant quite put my finger on it but it is something in the way offense runs that disturbes me. Every play still seems to struggle. I just need to see more and that is one reason I am mad he got hurt yesterday. I just want to see more of the movie script before making a judgement. I cannot tell if the issue are the players, scheme or what.

Well all the defenses we have faced this season to this point have been stout. Assuming Tannehill is healthy, it will be very telling how he fares during the next three games because Indianapolis, Tennessee, and Buffalo all have defenses that are quite poor. Tannehill shouldn't have any subpar games during this stretch an he should have at least one really big day.

FF Member #67
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
Considering he has like 26 starts, including college/NFL, he is well on his way. That is the equivalent to having two years in college.

The guy seems to have learned very quickly, to win in this league you need to take care of the ball.

Ova, he isn't as fluid, yet, as some of the elites, but it took Brady about 7 years to get to be this good. For a rookie qb, in year 1, to have a team with low aspirations sitting at 4-3 and in the hunt for the playoffs. I'll gladly take it.

This offense still isn't hitting alot of deep plays, but with time and a couple more weapons that will change. The fact he has great numbers facing the blitz speaks volumes. Teams already seem to be stacking the box to take away the run and have the kid beat them.....and he is getting the job done.

Oh that is easy, Phillip Rivers. Rivers is a proven commodity. That does not mean I dislike Tanney but it is just too early. I just want to see more. Remember Chad Henne also had big weeks and he is in Jacksonville. Tanney had one monster game and has been so, so in the others. I think is lack of production is talent driven but we shall see what upgraded talent does for him.
Clutch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Clutch wrote:

Oh that is easy, Phillip Rivers. Rivers is a proven commodity. That does not mean I dislike Tanney but it is just too early. I just want to see more. Remember Chad Henne also had big weeks and he is in Jacksonville. Tanney had one monster game and has been so, so in the others. I think is lack of production is talent driven but we shall see what upgraded talent does for him.

So is Carson Palmer and I wouldn't want him. Not looking for 'big weeks'. I am tired of looking for the next fantasy star. I want wins and SB's. Since his week 1 lesson, he has been very good at putting the ball in the right place, making good decisions and not turning the ball over.

If you look at Rivers, who I also like, he is not doing any of those three things right now. He has much better weapons and has his team under .500.

Not sure I would take Rivers, right now, over RT.
Deets

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/gamelog/2001/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/gamelog/1998/

Heres Tom Brady and Peyton Manning in their first years starting (Brady second season, Manning rookie). In terms of numbers, not very different at all. However the way Tannehill looks on the field is what is so exciting. Remember, Brady didn't become a feared deep passer until he was starting for 4 years or so.

FF Member #67
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannehill is playing better than his stats to this point.

It sounds like a cop-out, but it's true.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
Clutch wrote:

So is Carson Palmer and I wouldn't want him. Not looking for 'big weeks'. I am tired of looking for the next fantasy star. I want wins and SB's. Since his week 1 lesson, he has been very good at putting the ball in the right place, making good decisions and not turning the ball over.

If you look at Rivers, who I also like, he is not doing any of those three things right now. He has much better weapons and has his team under .500.

Not sure I would take Rivers, right now, over RT.

That is your opinion but you cannot compare Rivers to Tanney at this point. Rivers is proven. Tanney could average 250 yards and 2td from here on out and stink up the joing next year. Sorry, I go with the proven commodity. I would take Carson Palmer over RT right now. Its just too early.
phinmun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rookie QB has come into this league and not looked really good initially? Maybe Gabbert or Bradford because of the teams they're on? They've both been decent though. Look at reality though:

Stafford looked great, Flacco looked decent, Ryan look good, Sanchez was clutch in big games and got way into the Play-offs, Dalton looked very good, Newton looked amazing, Luck's been terrific and RGIII has been on fire. Tannehill's no different.

Seriously, this is not a hard league for rookie QBs to get by in right now. A decent offensive coordinator who is able to script the right plays can take all the pressure off a young QB and put him in a position to make a lot of great plays.

Only 1 or 2 of those QBs though has looked to keep their level of play high. Matt Ryan is about the only one on that list that's been getting better and better every year. His arm is stronger than ever and he's got more command of his offense than when he started. Virtually every other QB has taken steps backwards in terms of production or consistency.

The proof will come in the second year where he'll continue to get blitzed but opposing defenses will be better at taking away his options. Right now, Tannehill is great against pressure but defense's will slowly get to the point where they're taking away Davone Bess and his other outlets.

We'll have to get better at running the ball, better at protecting the pocket and get some speedy targets to create YAC so we can continue to see Tannehill's 3rd down and blitz numbers stay high.

The real test is that 2nd year where almost every QB takes a dive. It's a real shame we don't have a young WR developing right now. We will need 1 or 2 guys next year. Maybe Bush will slowly get some touches as a receiver, who knows?
bpastermack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
What rookie QB has come into this league and not looked really good initially? Maybe Gabbert or Bradford because of the teams they're on? They've both been decent though. Look at reality though:

Stafford looked great, Flacco looked decent, Ryan look good, Sanchez was clutch in big games and got way into the Play-offs, Dalton looked very good, Newton looked amazing, Luck's been terrific and RGIII has been on fire. Tannehill's no different.

Seriously, this is not a hard league for rookie QBs to get by in right now. A decent offensive coordinator who is able to script the right plays can take all the pressure off a young QB and put him in a position to make a lot of great plays.

Only 1 or 2 of those QBs though has looked to keep their level of play high. Matt Ryan is about the only one on that list that's been getting better and better every year. His arm is stronger than ever and he's got more command of his offense than when he started. Virtually every other QB has taken steps backwards in terms of production or consistency.

The proof will come in the second year where he'll continue to get blitzed but opposing defenses will be better at taking away his options. Right now, Tannehill is great against pressure but defense's will slowly get to the point where they're taking away Davone Bess and his other outlets.

We'll have to get better at running the ball, better at protecting the pocket and get some speedy targets to create YAC so we can continue to see Tannehill's 3rd down and blitz numbers stay high.

The real test is that 2nd year where almost every QB takes a dive. It's a real shame we don't have a young WR developing right now. We will need 1 or 2 guys next year. Maybe Bush will slowly get some touches as a receiver, who knows?

I think you are looking at raw stats and making assumptions. The truth of the matter is I don't think Stafford, Ryan, Sanchez, and certainly no tDalton actually looked good in their rookie years. Dalton had solid stats last year cause he had a great running game and O-line and AJ Green. I never saw Dalton last year and thought he would ever be anything more than average in the NFL. Sanchez looked like garbage most of his rookie season. Then had a few solid games in the playoffs. You have to watch how they progress, how well they stand in the pocket. How quickly they get the ball out, how many reads they can make, are they making the line calls, etc, etc, etc. Tannehill is getting better at all of that every week. He still has a lot more to go, but for now he is further along the path than many of us supporters even expected.

Oh, and Flacco was pretty terrible as a rookie. His accuracy was all over the place.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
phinmun wrote:

I think you are looking at raw stats and making assumptions. The truth of the matter is I don't think Stafford, Ryan, Sanchez, and certainly no tDalton actually looked good in their rookie years. Dalton had solid stats last year cause he had a great running game and O-line and AJ Green. I never saw Dalton last year and thought he would ever be anything more than average in the NFL. Sanchez looked like garbage most of his rookie season. Then had a few solid games in the playoffs. You have to watch how they progress, how well they stand in the pocket. How quickly they get the ball out, how many reads they can make, are they making the line calls, etc, etc, etc. Tannehill is getting better at all of that every week. He still has a lot more to go, but for now he is further along the path than many of us supporters even expected.

Oh, and Flacco was pretty terrible as a rookie. His accuracy was all over the place.

They all won games. They all did it the same way the Dolphins are. By taking pressure off their rookie QBs, relying on strong defense and winning close games.

If you think Ryan Tannehill is ANY DIFFERENT you are a homer. Every single rookie QB I named was praised for all the success his team had. If you're praising Tannehill for the success the team is having, I'm just here to let you know that you're doing the same thing. Tannehill's shown flashes but so did every one of the QBs I've said...

...or do you think Tannehill's already proven himself? Just like every one of those other QBs proved themselves, right? Rolling Eyes

Ovaw is probably the only one who's so anti-Dolphins sometimes that he'd agree with me but when I see a pattern of rookie QBs having success and then coming back to more realistic struggles I'm going to call it like I see it.

Do you not think it's been somewhat surprising how easily Tannehill has adapted to the NFL? Do you not find it coincidental that Tannehill is completely passes and winning games the same way virtually every other rookie QB (on a decent team) has done?

I'm just saying...the proof will be how he develops, not the success he appears to have his rookie season. Yes he's looked poised and has been far more accurate than people thought, BUT, you're lying if you think other recent rookie QBs haven't done the same thing.

As I said, it's a Homer who thinks the 1 guy who's on their team is the exceptional to the rule.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
phinmun wrote:

They all won games. They all did it the same way the Dolphins are. By taking pressure off their rookie QBs, relying on strong defense and winning close games.

If you think Ryan Tannehill is ANY DIFFERENT you are a homer. Every single rookie QB I named was praised for all the success his team had. If you're praising Tannehill for the success the team is having, I'm just here to let you know that you're doing the same thing. Tannehill's shown flashes but so did every one of the QBs I've said...

...or do you think Tannehill's already proven himself? Just like every one of those other QBs proved themselves, right? Rolling Eyes

Ovaw is probably the only one who's so anti-Dolphins sometimes that he'd agree with me but when I see a pattern of rookie QBs having success and then coming back to more realistic struggles I'm going to call it like I see it.

Do you not think it's been somewhat surprising how easily Tannehill has adapted to the NFL? Do you not find it coincidental that Tannehill is completely passes and winning games the same way virtually every other rookie QB (on a decent team) has done?

I'm just saying...the proof will be how he develops, not the success he appears to have his rookie season. Yes he's looked poised and has been far more accurate than people thought, BUT, you're lying if you think other recent rookie QBs haven't done the same thing.

As I said, it's a Homer who thinks the 1 guy who's on their team is the exceptional to the rule.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I said myself a lot more has to be seen. But Some of the QB's you listed struggled more than the win loss column would indicate. Just cause a QB is on a winning team in his rookie year doesn't mean he is a future franchise QB. Peyton Manning was on a terrible team and actually his stats were horrible too in his rookie year. But you could still see something in him that made you think, this guy could be really good some day.

I see that in Tannehill. I never saw that in Henne or Sanchez. And I never thought Flacco, Ryan, or Dalton would ever be anything but average to above average QB's. I've seen it in other QB's that turned out to be just terrible. So there is a lot of work to be done. Not every QB who shows flashes of greatness acheives greatness.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points from all you guys.

The Rookie/Sophmore Slump is no mirage, happens all the time to good QBs.
And even top tier college QBs take time to develop & fully grasp the job description & the ever expanding playbook.
Even Rodgers took 2 yrs to really establish the current level of excellence & thats after 2 yrs with the same Playbook riding the bench. (+4 yrs)

Philbins acquisition of RT college HC is without question a major advantage in his early success.

Also in my opinion (as I have said several times) the talent level around Tanney is inadequate for this
West Coast style Offense.
Half of the current starting players will not be with us in another 2 yrs.

Isn't one of the most common "tags" said about really good QBs that they make avg players around them look much better ...???

I in fact feel plenty good about what Tanney has shown me, kid has all the physical tools + he clearly demonstrates command of the huddle & the Playbook @ an accelerated pace.
We all know how well he has corrected his mistakes wk to wk.

sug
phinmun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Excellent points from all you guys.

The Rookie/Sophmore Slump is no mirage, happens all the time to good QBs.
And even top tier college QBs take time to develop & fully grasp the job description & the ever expanding playbook.
Even Rodgers took 2 yrs to really establish the current level of excellence & thats after 2 yrs with the same Playbook riding the bench. (+4 yrs)

Philbins acquisition of RT college HC is without question a major advantage in his early success.

Also in my opinion (as I have said several times) the talent level around Tanney is inadequate for this
West Coast style Offense.
Half of the current starting players will not be with us in another 2 yrs.

Isn't one of the most common "tags" said about really good QBs that they make avg players around them look much better ...???

I in fact feel plenty good about what Tanney has shown me, kid has all the physical tools + he clearly demonstrates command of the huddle & the Playbook @ an accelerated pace.
We all know how well he has corrected his mistakes wk to wk.

sug

Yeah, I don't want to sound bad because I love what I'm seeing from Tannehill, but that bolded part is what I have worries about.

It's my guess that a lot of QBs look to be in command because what checks they're making are fairly mundane. I think what we're seeing from Tannehill is his ability to audible in a fairly basic way.

I feel sort of greedy in saying I have higher standards because I don't really. What I guess I mean is that I really hope Tannehill doesn't hit an early plateau/ceiling next year when he's doing the same basic things but the coverage is tighter and taking away his easy options against pressure.

I just think that the way he's beating pressure right now is with a basic understanding of what to do when it comes. I hope he can take it to the next level by developing chemistry with some of the more outstanding guys to really create some meaningful results in clutch situations.

We don't have those outstanding guys though which I said above was a shame.

Consider if we make the Play-offs...I'm sure Tannehill will show some flaws and we'll be screaming bloody murder that we don't have any play-makers to help him beat Play-Off caliber heat! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: