Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers moving toward power runs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Panthers moving toward power runs? Reply with quote

I know what you're thinking: "Bout damn time"

Quote:
According to the Charlotte Observer, the Panthers are shifting from the zone-read package to "more reliance on a power running game."

NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell notes the Panthers have had no base run game this year, as 66 percent of their carries have come out of the shotgun. Coach Ron Rivera promised more changes after Jonathan Stewart was installed as the featured back last week. Although Rivera has only hinted at specifics, beat writer Joe Person believes "it's clear the Panthers are trying to re-create themselves offensively." The shift away from the zone-read is the second major sign this week that Stewart's fantasy value could be ready to skyrocket. He's a recommended trade target this week.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/245611/panthers-moving-to-power-running-scheme

66%? Really? I knew it was bad, but jeez.

People have been saying run it normally (they call it power running) for weeks. It isn't like it's something new to be installed, you simply call more plays where Cam is under center and maybe Tolbert actually plays FB.

If the offense can turn this around through power running, great. But I'm not really happy about a coaching staff that couldn't figure this out sooner. Everyone with eyeballs knows this team isn't playing to it's strengths.

Believe it or not, Chud, the runningbacks on this team don't need the option to be successful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-enhbJWEFak
rjkilla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly i thought it was more than 66%...every time its 3rd and short we are in shotgun and it was driving me insane. hopefully the coaches have seen the light

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66...6.....66.....holy...66....dear god Rivera and Chud are morons.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
wild style

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what we will see this week.... NO LINE = RUN IT ANYWAY YOU WANT BUT ALL YOU GET IS ,,,,3 AND OUT ,,,,3 AND OUT,,,, 3 AND OUT,,,,,,,, CAM SACKED CAM INT CAM SACKED......

GET A LINE TILL THEN WE WILL HAVE NO RUNNING GAME!
rjkilla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wild style wrote:
what we will see this week.... NO LINE = RUN IT ANYWAY YOU WANT BUT ALL YOU GET IS ,,,,3 AND OUT ,,,,3 AND OUT,,,, 3 AND OUT,,,,,,,, CAM SACKED CAM INT CAM SACKED......

i actually like bell at guard. he got a lot of push there last week and he's a pretty athletic guy. put cambell at tackle. without kalil it's gonna be a struggle but there still is enough talent there to move the chains

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wild style wrote:

I seriously don't understand this perception. What do people expect? We're running like some god awful 85% of our offense from the gun. Between trying to run between the tackles from the gun, the read option, and Cam holding on to the ball for an eternity, waiting for deep outs to come open instead of just checking it down, how does anyone expect our o-line could possibly look good? For the first time I can recall this year Cam took the checkdowns last week, and the o-line looked pretty okay in pass protection. We can't possibly know what they can do in a pro style offense, cause...uh..we haven't been running one.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
iknowcool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
wild style wrote:

I seriously don't understand this perception. What do people expect? We're running like some god awful 85% of our offense from the gun. Between trying to run between the tackles from the gun, the read option, and Cam holding on to the ball for an eternity, waiting for deep outs to come open instead of just checking it down, how does anyone expect our o-line could possibly look good? For the first time I can recall this year Cam took the checkdowns last week, and the o-line looked pretty okay in pass protection. We can't possibly know what they can do in a pro style offense, cause...uh..we haven't been running one.

While you are right on everything else (not been easy on them), the OL certainly did not look well against Dallas. The interior continued to get blown up every other play.
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

66%?!??

Dear God man...does Chud know anything about football? Quit trying to be a trendsetter and stick with the tried and true. No reason to run the ball out of the shotgun in the first place when it puts the running back in a clear disadvantage. Running the power game lets the runnin back get momentum before gettin the handoff. It allows the line to form the blocks and once the running back gets it he is off. The read option is confusing because the line can't know who is getting the ball, thus poor blocking and bad runs. Why is this not simple for the coaching staff to understand?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyEnemy wrote:
66%?!??

Dear God man...does Chud know anything about football? Quit trying to be a trendsetter and stick with the tried and true. No reason to run the ball out of the shotgun in the first place when it puts the running back in a clear disadvantage. Running the power game lets the runnin back get momentum before gettin the handoff. It allows the line to form the blocks and once the running back gets it he is off. The read option is confusing because the line can't know who is getting the ball, thus poor blocking and bad runs. Why is this not simple for the coaching staff to understand?

somebody told chud he had reinvented the wheel and he ate it up

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're so adamant about Cam playing from the gun (his comfort zone), I'm surprised we haven't seen more pistol formations (sort of a middle ground) to help ease him into the transition. Its practically the same as a pro style formation (two backs, maybe one offset), and it still allows the QB to receive the snap from a standing position.
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9
Panthers DT Nate Chandler moved to the 53-man roster from practice squad, per a source.

Quote:
Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9
Jonathan Stewart will start at RB vs. Chicago

Joe Person ‏@josephperson
Rivera said he wants to get the backs in a rhythm instead of subbing them in and out every play.

Thanks CK
panther dude

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
Quote:
Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9
Panthers DT Nate Chandler moved to the 53-man roster from practice squad, per a source.

Quote:
Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9

Rivera said he wants to get the backs in a rhythm instead of subbing them in and out every play.

Then why did you sign THREE starters Confused Mad d'oh! Brick wall

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart was just named the starter. As much as I hate it, I'm pretty sure this means DeAngelo is out of here after this season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
johnydtarheel wrote:
Quote:
Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9

Quote:
Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9

Then why did you sign THREE starters Confused Mad d'oh! Brick wall

It's not the fact that we have 3 starters, it's the fact that we are using our FB as a TB a third of the time. IMO, Tolbert, while a decent player, was the biggest waste of a signing this past offseason. Only interrupted the chemistry we had at RB. I would have much rather used a TE to block, while we kept Goodson or some other RB to be the 3rd RB.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Panthers moving toward power runs? Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
I know what you're thinking: "Bout damn time"

Quote:
According to the Charlotte Observer, the Panthers are shifting from the zone-read package to "more reliance on a power running game."

NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell notes the Panthers have had no base run game this year, as 66 percent of their carries have come out of the shotgun. Coach Ron Rivera promised more changes after Jonathan Stewart was installed as the featured back last week. Although Rivera has only hinted at specifics, beat writer Joe Person believes "it's clear the Panthers are trying to re-create themselves offensively." The shift away from the zone-read is the second major sign this week that Stewart's fantasy value could be ready to skyrocket. He's a recommended trade target this week.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/245611/panthers-moving-to-power-running-scheme

66%? Really? I knew it was bad, but jeez.

People have been saying run it normally (they call it power running) for weeks. It isn't like it's something new to be installed, you simply call more plays where Cam is under center and maybe Tolbert actually plays FB.

If the offense can turn this around through power running, great. But I'm not really happy about a coaching staff that couldn't figure this out sooner. Everyone with eyeballs knows this team isn't playing to it's strengths.

Believe it or not, Chud, the runningbacks on this team don't need the option to be successful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-enhbJWEFak

Who is that guy wearing #34? Man! He looks pretty good. I wish we had him on our team...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: