Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roger Goodell recused himself, Paul Tagliabue will step in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spilltray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why this whole situation about who hears the appeal and Goodell recusing himself just peeves me off:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8541721/nfl-players-association-asks-paul-tagliabue-conflicts-interest

The NFLPA agreed to a CBA that allowed Goodell to both hand out the punishment AND hear the appeal. Is their any situation someone handling both ends could actually be an "unbiased" arbitrator of an appeal? This isn't a court legal process, this is a collectively bargained internal discipline situation, and the NFLPA is trying to spin it as if it were a US Court. The NFLPA has no real grounds to expect Goodell to recuse himself at all. He only did to try and score points in the court of public opinion. You could argue that ANYONE Goodell appointed would probably be someone biased to support him. This is just the NFLPA trying to use litigation to give them a more favorable deal than they were able to get in negotiation and just makes me sick.

I hope they get slammed and punished a second time for the "salary cap violation" portion of Bountygate" just to show prove the point that it's better to leave well enough alone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seminoles1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFLPA is a joke. Who do they want to oversee the case? Jonathan Vilma?

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift-Steve Prefontaine

The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:

Lol. This made me laugh, but you make a good point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFLPA has no say on whether Tagliabue can hear the appeals or not, and the court knows they have no jurisdiction in the matter since it was collectively bargained that Goddell has the sole right to hear the appeal or appoint someone else to do so, which is why she's given this 6 pm deadline to file a motion. If a court was to rule against a collectively bargained issue, they would essentially make all CBAs null and void, and would in fact kill all unions across this country.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
The NFLPA has no say on whether Tagliabue can hear the appeals or not, and the court knows they have no jurisdiction in the matter since it was collectively bargained that Goddell has the sole right to hear the appeal or appoint someone else to do so, which is why she's given this 6 pm deadline to file a motion. If a court was to rule against a collectively bargained issue, they would essentially make all CBAs null and void, and would in fact kill all unions across this country.

Very good point. The way the rulings go in this do certainly have an impact outside of football.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Very good point. The way the rulings go in this do certainly have an impact outside of football.
If a CBA is no longer legally binding, what reason does either side have to enter into one. The sole purpose of a union is to bargain for the benefit of their members, if there is no more bargaining why would a membership continue to pay dues to a powerless organization.

sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

If a CBA is no longer legally binding, what reason does either side have to enter into one. The sole purpose of a union is to bargain for the benefit of their members, if there is no more bargaining why would a membership continue to pay dues to a powerless organization.

Exactly, and conversely I think that supporters of organized labor should actually HOPE that courts hold the NFLPA to the terms of the CBA that they negotiated. If the NFL is required to act in a manner different from that outlined in the CBA, then what incentive does management in any CBA have to maintain their responsibilities if it is made clear that CBA terms aren't concrete?

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seminoles1 wrote:

Evidently someone on their end hasn't done their due diligence to inform them that Pete Rozelle is, in fact, dead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see that Mike Cerillo email? ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Anyone see that Mike Cerillo email? ?
yeah, I fail to see how it's even relevant to the issue at hand. Its just more grandstanding.

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
I hope they get slammed and punished a second time for the "salary cap violation" portion of Bountygate" just to show prove the point that it's better to leave well enough alone.

Jonathan Vilma is "they"?

Interesting...

Last I heard, the Saints have nothing to do with what Vilma is doing. SP, Will Smith, Joe Vitt, and Mickey Loomis all have left well enough alone.

If you want to throw Vilma out of the league, or extend his suspension into a second season, fine. But your idea that the Saints should be further punished because of the actions of 1 player doesn't make much sense.

Should teams be fined when individual players make illegal hits? Should Jim Schwartz get suspended every time one of his players gets in off the field trouble?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
spilltray wrote:

Interesting...

Last I heard, the Saints have nothing to do with what Vilma is doing. SP, Will Smith, Joe Vitt, and Mickey Loomis all have left well enough alone.

If you want to throw Vilma out of the league, or extend his suspension into a second season, fine. But your idea that the Saints should be further punished because of the actions of 1 player doesn't make much sense.

Should teams be fined when individual players make illegal hits? Should Jim Schwartz get suspended every time one of his players gets in off the field trouble?
Not that I disagree TD, but the NFL has already stated that repeated code of conduct violations could start including a team punishment including but not limited to fines or loss of draft pick(s). There can be a "lack of institutional control" situation *cough* Bengals *cough* but I don't think that applies in this case.

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
spilltray wrote:

Interesting...

Not that I disagree TD, but the NFL has already stated that repeated code of conduct violations could start including a team punishment including but not limited to fines or loss of draft pick(s). There can be a "lack of institutional control" situation *cough* Bengals *cough* but I don't think that applies in this case.

Oh yeah, if Vilma was doing anything illegal or unarguably immoral to prove his point, I'd agree that eventually the Saints could be held responsible if they didn't step in. But all he is doing is exhausting all his options, whether one agrees with him or not isn't really relevant. There's no reason to punish a team because people don't agree with the actions of 1 player.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
spilltray wrote:

Interesting...

THEY is all 4 players involved in this suspension and legal battle. Yes it IS a multiple.

I meant the very same players fighting the suspension now be subject to the salary cap violation penalties since the 2 were separated.

And the Saints as an organization WAS punished with a loss of 2nd round picks in 2012 and 2013.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
spilltray wrote:

Interesting...

THEY is all 4 players involved in this suspension and legal battle. Yes it IS a multiple.

I meant the very same players fighting the suspension now be subject to the salary cap violation penalties since the 2 were separated.

And the Saints as an organization WAS punished with a loss of 2nd round picks in 2012 and 2013.

You don't get it. Sean Payton isn't fighting this in court, neither is Will Smith. Jonathan Vilma is the only one fighting this, why would Goodell punish the Saints organization further because Vilma is fighting this in court?

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: