Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

State of the Bills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don4593

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: State of the Bills Reply with quote

I know it really has been a while since I have posted here but I really need to get this off my chest and throw my opinion out there. I believe this Titans game was a turning point for the team. Those of us, myself included, who thought Wandstedt and co could remedy the defense or had what it took to do so were greatly disappointed by our effort against Tennessee.

Our defense has been highly inconsistent, but we have consistently employed the same exact defense on a weekly basis with only minor changes coming by way of personnel substitutions. We got ripped by New England, who used counter-run plays on every possession to get our over aggressive DTs to commit one way, creating gaping holes our below-average linebackers could not fill. I thought, okay, this is a simple fix here, lets see what they do at half-time. Answer...nothing. Okay, lets see what they do the next game against the 49ers, lets see what adjustments we make. The answer? None.

This has gone on all year. Not a single adjustment in the play calling and scheming of the defense. Wandstedt has so much faith in our front 4 that he refuses to blitz, leaving our weak secondary out to dry. One can argue that blitzing would compound our weakness in the secondary, but show me a good pass rush and I will show you a great secondary. So here we have stubborn Dave Wandstedt, refusing to let go of his conservative scheme and Chan Gailey being too stubborn to fire Wandstedt.

What are we going to do?

Hell, I think Chan Gailey has been the best thing to happen to our offense since the acquisition of Drew Bledsoe. He has taken a weak, noodle-armed QB, who has never been productive, and turned him into a productive QB who can put points on the board. You can make the argument that if Fitzpatrick was forced to start on any other team he would surely be an utter failure, but that is what Gailey is all about. Getting the most out of nothing.

Imagine for one second, the offensive genius that is Gailey obtaining a real weapon at QB, its scary.

But the situation we have put ourselves in has brought about the idea of drastic changes. Who is ultimately held accountable for our defensive woes is Gailey and Buddy Nix is responsible for Gailey. Gailey convinced staff to bring Wandstedt aboard. Gailey is ultimately responsible for questionable play calling. Nix brought in Gailey and was touted for his great sense when it comes to finding talent through the draft. Spiller was a home run, but boy have we missed bad on some picks. Something a small-market team just can not afford.

We are at a crossroads here. What do we do? Do we fire Gailey and his coaching staff at seasons end? Do we fire Nix and Gailey? Or do we go one step further and completely clean house by ridding ourselves of Russ Brandon who got Nix here in the first place.

Personally, Id love for Gailey to stay. With his recent stance in regards to firing coaching mid-season I have to concede that this rationale will likely get Gailey canned. I hope Nix can come in and say if Gailey wont do it, I will.

We need to change this defense up. We know Fitzpatrick has been awful at times, but we can win despite him. We just need a defense that doesnt ask Fitzpatrick to throw the ball 30 times. It really is a shame, all that talent on defense and nobody knows how to utilize it.

I just wish there is some scenario where we can fire Wandstedt and retain Gailey and get him a QB. Rumor has it this will be Vick's and Reid's last year in Philly. Vick will be old, but would certainly be an upgrade over Fitzpatrick.

Thanks to Pick6_Finnegan for the sig
Maxmw22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all starts at the top, as you alluded to. I figured since Nix has gotten here, his days have been numbered. I don't in the sense that he is here on borrowed time, but in the sense that he was brought in here to train Doug Whaley.

I am thinking at the end of this year that Nix will either step down or be fired, and Whaley will take over the team, giving Gailey one last chance to show what he has. I could see him firing the DC and bringing someone hand picked and this team being more of a Gailey's offense and (whoever)'s defense.

With the track record we have had trying to being in hih profile coaches/GM's, I think the Bills will be forced to hang on to Gailey for another year. But if not, I think that Reid/Vick both coming here could be a real possibility.

Adopt-A-Bills:
RB C.J. Spiller - 927 yds, 4.6 ypc, 33 rec, 185 yds, 2 TD
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes - 46 tckls, 10 SCK, 2 FF
leeevans83d

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up Don. I agree with what you are saying 100%. We need to find somebody who can utilize the talent we do have on defense. It is WAY too vanilla to be successful in the NFL.

Go Bills!
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeevans83d wrote:
Great write-up Don. I agree with what you are saying 100%. We need to find somebody who can utilize the talent we do have on defense. It is WAY too vanilla to be successful in the NFL.

Yeah, I wonder if the teams lack of faith in our CB, OLB spots have prevented Wanny from more blitzing packages..
don4593

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
leeevans83d wrote:

Yeah, I wonder if the teams lack of faith in our CB, OLB spots have prevented Wanny from more blitzing packages..

This could very well be the case. Fear that if our blitz doesnt work we will get burned, but we are at the point where our front 4 is not doing enough and we are getting torched regardless.

I have no use for Aaron Williams. Ive heard from one of the Bills players that they actually thought he was going to get cut before this season. With the way he is playing now, I see no reason to roster him.

It is disappointing that we do not blitz, but the fact that we have the same alignment for every play, not even disguesing a different scheme in, is really upsetting. I do not know how we can be successful when we are playing this conservative defense which has our linebackers 5 yards away from the LOS

Thanks to Pick6_Finnegan for the sig
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think one move fixes this team? Or at least fixes the D? No way. I don't care which coach you bring in at mid-season, the talent is lacking in enough areas that one scheme or another will expose at least one player to getting seriously abused. Besides, a good D is about players trusting that their teammates are correctly taking care of their assigned duties on that particular play...gap control, for example. That's not happening right now. What are the chances that Wannstedt is dealing the best he can with having to field several mediocre players? Could this be the reason for his vanilla play-calling? Personally, I'd keep Wannstedt one more season for sure to see what he can do and allow players to better grasp his scheme. The one thing that has frustrated me is what seems to be his unwillingness to adjust during games. I wish I knew the reason for this. It could be that he hasn't subbed personnel simply because the replacements would bring even worse skills in one area or another. I don't know. Anyway, I'd give him another shot, but I'd also attempt to find some upgrades at a few positions. In fact, in the next draft, I would allocate 6 spots to defensive players and keep one spot to try to grab a QB. The defensive positions I'd target: MLB, WLB, SLB, SS, CB, & RE. Order isn't important to me...I'd draft BPA at any of those positions, trying to maximize value. If we had an 8th pick I'd add another DT.

Here's what I'm seeing...At DT, Dareus is having a sophomore slump, but I have faith that he can put it together and play well again, so another DT isn't critical. At SLB, Bradham hasn't taken over the spot yet, so we don't know what he can really do on a consistent basis, or why he hasn't been able to take that starting spot in the 1st place. Moats hasn't consistently covered well when he needed to and and seems to be slow reading plays. At MLB, Shepherd can't cover anyone. That fact was hidden from us last year in the 3-4 alignments because his area of responsibility was smaller. In the 4-3, his speed/reaction time gets exposed. Good speed is a must from all 3 LB spots in Wannstedt's defense. In WLB, neither Barnett nor Scott are the answer. First, Scott is a SS trying to play a LBing position, regularly failing to shed blocks and Barnett's age has caught up with him. He is showing signs that he can't cover well anymore due to decreased speed and also has started to struggle shedding blocks. SS Wilson has missed too many assignments and tackles, probably due to his lack of ideal speed. The safety positions often aren't glamorous, but are key in the vast majority of defensive schemes. Big plays often are given up due to poor decisions/reaction time by those supposed to provide over the top protection. Wilson has cost us plenty of times so far this year. At CB, A. Williams has struggled from time to time. Good route runners have gotten the best of him, while he has held his own against decent WR's. He's young and can obviously still improve, but I'd like to see another player to add some competition, just in case. Then there is the RE position. Maybe that player is already on the team in Mario, but I'm wondering if Mario just doesn't have the burst of speed anymore to play the right side. Maybe LE is the better fit for him at this stage in his career. Kind of hard to say given he has been playing with an ankle injury. I'm going to assume LE is where he stays, and that leaves Kelsay and Anderson on the right. 10-yr. pro Kelsay can play the run fairly well, but I don't look for him to beat many LT's to the QB. Anderson weighs just 255 and seems to get mauled too often in running plays. Maybe we could tolerate that if he would have racked up the QB pressures/sacks, but he wasn't terrorizing anyone before his injury. I know that he is a historically typical Wannstedt RE, but no one fears running to his side.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts at the top and its the owner. Once he is gone and bring in an owner that knows what he is doing then they can hire a GM that knows what he is doing which brings in a smart coach. Doug Whaley and everyone in the front office will not be a smart move to give any of them the GM position. New owner new regime new technique. Everyone thinks that a coach or Gm is the answer but a new owner that knows what is going on, on a daily basis will help the team actually go some where. I just wished that Wilson just sold the team already and accepted the fact that he cant hold on to it until he dies its just unfair to the fans.

Thanks Max
OffseasonChamps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of agree with keeping Gailey but only because firing everybody is what we've always done and that's gotten us nothing. Let's keep these idiots and see if they can't get some players to play despite them is at least different.

I'd just like to again say that Vick is not the answer and I'm always perplexed why Buffalo fans love players who only for a brief moment didn't totally blow in their careers. The belief that "this guy" won't flat out suck if he plays here despite all evidence to the contrary makes zero sense. For example, please refer to any of the threads about VY being the #1 QB from this summer. Yes, I know Vick played well in 2010 (even though he still fumbled like crazy like always). I also know it was the only time he actually played quaterback pretty well in his career. So hooray, let's welcome a 33 year old, injury prone athlete who isn't very good at his position as the solution to one of our more massive issues.

How about we do everything to draft a QB? I mean, we could luck out on a pick at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: