Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nick Perry fined $15,000 for hit on Andrew Luck
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iverson38 wrote:
That was a beautiful tackle. The penalty was a joke. The fine is an embarrassment.
Kind of how I see it. I would much rather have people hitting my QB like this with their head down and hitting them in the chest plate than diving at his knees/ankles or going after his head.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCDUQo9Qum8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlbHhqeyLnQ

Are these hits really that much different? You can see Dumervil's helmet ducks then lifts, the same as Perry's. There is just no consistancy with the NFL. Neither of these should be penalties IMO, then you go down to Houston the next week, JJ Watt rips the helmet off of Aaron Rodgers and, nothing. Of course Rolling Eyes

Perry hit with the hairline/crow
Dumervil hit with the facemask

That is the difference

As for the JJ Watt play show me in the rules where what he did was illegal?
Hahaha, just because thats what the announcer said, makes it true? Watch Dumervil's helmet, leads with the crown and when he makes contact he lifts it, just like Perry. And IIRC there is a rule about forcible blows to the QB's head. Ripping the helmet off is about as forcible as you can get.

I'm capable of seeing it with my eyes. He lifted before he hit. There was slight contact with the hairline but that is the incidental contact that is not illegal per the note to the rule.

Perry hit him flush with the hairline then lifted.

And no ripping is not forcible. That is just pulling. Has nothing to do with the force of the hit.
You can see his helmet is down as he is hitting Brady. Seriously, look. The crown of his helmet hits Brady's arm and when he lifts his helmet up, Tom's arm stays on top of the crown of the helmet. Its clear you are just mad because I called out JJ Watt's hit, I'm just sayin, they protect Luck for a pretty clean hit, then Aaron dang near gets his head ripped off and nothing. I am not sure how you could argue that Perry's hit is more dangerous or harmful than either Dumervil or Watt's hit. I am sick of QB's getting protected so much, I am fine with the Dumervil hit and the Perry hit, but if you are going to flag and fine Perry, Watt should have too IMO.

1. I said there was slight hairline contact on the Dumervil hit. But that is the incidental contact that the Note to the rule says isn't illegal.
This makes no sense. Its pretty black and white IMO. Either you lead with your crown or you didn't. I bet if you ask Nick Perry if his was incidental he would say yes. You cant kinda sorta hit somebody with the crown, either your head is up or down. Dumervil did the same thing and nothing happend and rightfully so IMO. And my point with the Watt hit is, if you are going to protect a QB from a hit like Perry put on Luck, they should do it for a player who gets his helmet ripped off. Me personally I would rather have neither of them be a penalty but if they are banging the table to protect the QB's, then do it and do it on a consistant basis.

Incidental =/= unintentional.

You can say it doesn't make sense, but the fact that the rules specifically talk about incidental contact means that it does exist.

As I see the play Perry's head was down at contact. Dumervil's was basically up. At least as much as you can expect from someone bending at the waist. It obviously wasn't perpendicular to the ground but that isn't realistic. He hit him almost solely with the facemask. There was slight contact.

The rule says "forcible" contact with the hairline or crown. I believe that the hairline didn't hit forcibly in Dumervil's case. The facemask was where the force was. Perry's hit was forcibly with the hairline.
The incidental makes 0 sense. Either you went in with your head down or you didn't simple as that. Both Dumervil and Perry went in with their heads down and lifted when they made contact. The only reason its skewed is because we dont have the perfect angle for the Dumervil hit. But if you pause it when he makes contact with Brady, his crown of his helmet hits Brady's arm. Like I said I think its pretty black and white.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Do you have a link to the play? One of us is remembering incorrectly and I think it's you (obviously if I thought it was me I would change my stance).

IIRC it was Watt's arm. Rodgers ducked as Watt came in. Watt's arm wrapped around his helmet at the elbow and his momentum took him passed Rodgers pulling the helmet off.

1:48 of this video. He never contacts Rodgers with his helmet, he sticks his arm out and it wraps around his helmet as Rodgers falls back and down. Having a helmet in a headlock as the QB falls on his butt is going the cause the helmet to pop off, nothing malicious, nothing dirty, nothing illegal. If you're a Packer fan just be thankful the NFL didn't adopt the NCAA's silly helmet rule.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp0k2 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
Do you have a link to the play? One of us is remembering incorrectly and I think it's you (obviously if I thought it was me I would change my stance).

IIRC it was Watt's arm. Rodgers ducked as Watt came in. Watt's arm wrapped around his helmet at the elbow and his momentum took him passed Rodgers pulling the helmet off.

1:48 of this video. He never contacts Rodgers with his helmet, he sticks his arm out and it wraps around his helmet as Rodgers falls back and down. Having a helmet in a headlock as the QB falls on his butt is going the cause the helmet to pop off, nothing malicious, nothing dirty, nothing illegal. If you're a Packer fan just be thankful the NFL didn't adopt the NCAA's silly helmet rule.

No not that play, maybe Im confusing Rodgers helmet coming off though. It wasn't a sack, it was just Rodgers getting hit late by Watt right under the facemask, should've been a clear 15 yards and wasn't called. It should still be a fine even though it wasn't a penalty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
cp0k2 wrote:
mse326 wrote:

No not that play, maybe Im confusing Rodgers helmet coming off though. It wasn't a sack, it was just Rodgers getting hit late by Watt right under the facemask, should've been a clear 15 yards and wasn't called. It should still be a fine even though it wasn't a penalty.

I don't recall such a play, maybe I missed it. I'd like to see it though if you can find it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: